• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
That is it. Enough is enough and losing to Scotland, who had their last internatinal win against Georgia (?) is hard to cope with. Especially so for rugby fans such as myself who have never warmed to the Deans Experiment. How low do our Wallabies have to go before this All Black hearted kiwi coach gets his marching orders? Will a total walloping by wales do it?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I report this 3rd hand, but thought to put it here anyway. Campo was having a twitter conversation with lote tuquiri about the current tahs, which drifted to the wallabies. One thing he noted was that he had caught up with drew Mitchell while the tahs were in SA and the word is deans has no control over the "young wallabies" (his term, make of it what you will).

Watching the wallabies I often wonder if he is imposing any game plan at all

A conversation between a player who was booted out of the Wallabies under Deans and Campo...

Reliable...

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Nationality is a red herring, as White is proving at ACT. Fuck, he's not even from Canberra

Deans just can't do it at National level. He doesn't have consistent enough time with them to do whatever he does to make up for the fact that he can't communicate well enough to get simple game plans in place.

For all Dingo banging on about lack of our teams 'pure blood NZ rugby DNA', perhaps that is a clue to his lack of international success, and conversely, to his success at Super rugby level.

Maybe the Crusaders dynasty wasn't due to Deans' imput or coaching methods, rather the quality of the players at club. More akin to a Jumbo flying on auto-pilot. His post WB future will tell.

But maybe he can't be successful with anybody but NZ'ers under him. (hang on, our team's full of Kiwi DNA)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
What is remarkable is the manner by which a coach/leader after 4.5 years in charge of the Wallabies can be - in all sanctimonious seriousness - talking about 'them' not 'yet having it in their DNA to close out tight games'.

It blows me away that people don't see how ludicrous and deeply arrogant that statement is after the long period Deans has been in charge of this group. A: That's what a top coach is paid to do: to implant best practices and a cohesive winning culture and mindset into his charges, together with the tactical nous to win in adverse conditions. B: Deans never - and I mean never - declares himself to be responsible for anything directly. He always refers to the players' errors, to the players that couldn't quite do this or that, they weren't quite able to make something happen in just the right way, or such like. It is never the responsibility of the coaching group to have oversighted outcomes, it's the players that aren't quite right, that haven't quite learnt yet. This type of patronising avoidance of a leader's responsibility is a hallmark of poor self-awareness and the decency to accept the facts of one's own requirement to deliver results.

If a CEO said after 4 years in charge of a major firm 'my management team still haven't quite learnt how to make budget, make a profit and grow this business, but I keep telling them what's required' he or she would be sacked, plain and simple. Any competent board would recognise that type of statement as grossly irresponsible and a stark admission of that CEO's blame-shifting and poor competency to deliver him/herself.

I only fully realised the depth of Deans' self-delusion and lack of self-critique - coupled with quiet arrogance (not easily visible under an otherwise humble persona) - when a few months after the RWC he declared: '...we'll likely do better at the RWC 2015 provided the players learn the lessons from the last one...'. As if it was only the players that had to learn things from their less than optimal experience, the coaching group was by inference just waiting to observe the players' learning curve on the rise, they had no need of a steep learning curve of their own after failing to meet their declared RWC goals. In this statement I quickly grasped why Deans has not improved one iota as national coach in four years - he does not in any way accept that it was/is himself that needed to progress and change as leader in a crucial developmental role, it was only the pupils that had to step up to reach the fixed standards of the ever-correct coaches.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm impressed by the harmonious declaration of dislike towards the current Wallabies set up. What a community we have here!

There was a lot of hope in 2010 - even Dean un-fans like myself could see the improvement after that year and looked forward to 2011.

That year we had seen some of the most enterprising play from a rugby team in a few years, and yet now, and since the WC, the Wallabies have reverted to one dimensional play. It's pretty amazing.

I honestly don't know what else I can contribute to this topic...just wait and see where the Wallabies take us this weekend!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm impressed by the harmonious declaration of dislike towards the current Wallabies set up. What a community we have here!

There was a lot of hope in 2010 - even Dean un-fans like myself could see the improvement after that year and looked forward to 2011.

That year we had seen some of the most enterprising play from a rugby team in a few years, and yet now, and since the WC, the Wallabies have reverted to one dimensional play. It's pretty amazing.

I honestly don't know what else I can contribute to this topic.just wait and see where the Wallabies take us this weekend!

I think a lot of those expectations came off the back of the Reds rise in 2010 followed by their championship last year...

Australia has the players and the potential to do better....... that's for sure.......

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
But the Reds players weren't picked in the test side and the excuse was they weren't the best players in their position. And here we are again now with 2 teams in good form being told the same thing. 5 players from the Reds and Brumbies points to something wrong in the selection process. Even allowing for the fact that our first full strength squad won't be picked until next week.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
A conversation between a player who was booted out of the Wallabies under Deans and Campo.

Reliable.
while I agree there is nothing difinitive about the comment, It was actually a conversation between Campo and a current injured player that the comment stemmed from. Tuquiri was just a listener.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But the Reds players weren't picked in the test side and the excuse was they weren't the best players in their position. And here we are again now with 2 teams in good form being told the same thing. 5 players from the Reds and Brumbies points to something wrong in the selection process. Even allowing for the fact that our first full strength squad won't be picked until next week.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

But the Tahs do have players that deserve to be there.

Guys like Robinson, Kepu, Dennis, Kepu, TPN (on the bench) and Mitchell are obviously worthy of their spots........

And Barnes is a case of last man standing with Lilo, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper all out.

Their problem lies with their coaching, admin, team culture etc

Even though the Brumbies are currently the top Australian team I would only give starting spots to Moore, Lealiifano, McCabe and Tomane and possibly Palmer. The other Brumbies that made the training squad deserve to be there, with Carter and Fardy the unlucky ones. Carter especially considering he's been in far better form than Timani and Douglas.

D

daz

How low do our Wallabies have to go before this All Black hearted kiwi coach gets his marching orders? Will a total walloping by wales do it?

I think it is enough with the Kiwi conspiracy theory. It is becoming tiresome.

Whatever our opinions of RD as a coach, does anyone really think he is deliberately eroding the Wallabies from within because he is a Kiwi?

The sports world is full of people who went to work abroad because that is where the work was.

The man is a professional career coach and to continue to be one he needs to get results. If he was coaching the Mongolian U/13's in a paid capacity, he would be going for the win, every game, every time. Whether he has the ability to do so is what should be open to discussion.

Debate his gameplan, his leadership, his selection policy, his media sound bites; let's lay off the Kiwi angle. What do you say?

As you were folks, rant over.....

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Bugger! I must have nodded off and missed that.

"A lot of hope in 2010 . . . improvement after that year . . . some of the most enterprising play from a rugby team in a few years", you say, Reddy? Or are you simply referring to the second half of the French Test when the French in effect refused to come out of the dressing sheds after the break and the Wallabies scored 46 unanswered points in about 37 minutes? Were there other instances of "most enterprising play" that year?

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I have posed the question before. Would the All Blacks and New Zealand supporters accept an Australian as their coach? Would an Australian coaches heart lie with the AB's if they were to coah them.

o_O No thanks. I didn't even want Robbie Deans for NZ in 2008, although I didn't want him going to Australia either. I think the Wallabies problems are systemic, the ARU appears lethargic and lacklustre, so does Deans and the players themselves.

I don't think Deans has done a particularly good job, sometimes when you don't have the best team on the pitch you need a coach that will lift them up regardless; via passion, enthusiasm and grit. Even better, with a superior game plan. That's doesn't seem to be 'Dingo's' style. Deans seemingly rigid view of his 'systems' doesn't appear to fit with an Australian side or the players he has. I don't think he has faith in his players, certainly not the 22 as he doesn't use his bench. His selections at times have been puzzling, how this would alienate senior players, emerging players and form players I can't imagine.

His handling of the new breed of so called back line superstars, I've always laughed when some people have touted "best in the world", has been questionable. Who's the best 10? Who's the best 12? and so forth. He's had a couple of years to solidify a starting back line, where is it? You don't have a world class 10, the most important cog. You don't have a centre partnership that's either balanced or good enough, you have two good winger's (one injured) and a world class fullback that people want moved to 10. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) somehow squandered a quality career at 13, how'd that happen?

I'm not going to try and dissect the forward pack, because I simply don't watch that much Australian super rugby. I know you need to put the aptly named floppy cock (quoting a forgotten G&G Member) Sharpe out to pasture. Tell Simmons to smarten up and tell Higginbotham to stop running around like his ass is on fire and start being accurate.

Perhaps one of the biggest conundrums is that the Wallabies are not that far off being a quality test side, you've beaten the Saffa's frequently and you can match it with the AB's most days. You just don't have a clear out-and-out best 15. A depth problem doesn't help either.

Conclusion: Get rid of Deans; just do it already. Either post-Wales if you lose the series or post Rugby Championship so you can use the Northern tour. Take Mackenzie out of whatever hog-wash role he'll have post S15 this year. Once O'Neill is gone (finally) it will happen anyway. Or keep doing whatever it is you're doing so it'll make the AB's life easier.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I think it is enough with the Kiwi conspiracy theory. It is becoming tiresome.

Deans is a kiwi; FACT.
Did I rant on about any conspiracy; NO.
So as you don't know my position on this I best make myself perfectly clear less you jump to conclusions again.

I do not think, nor is there any evidence to suggest that Deans is a good International Rugby coach FOR ANY NATION. Do/ Did the All Blacks want him? No.
Nor do I believe that even if he was smart enough to conduct such white anting of an enemy to his All Blacks club that he could pull it off.
What I do believe is that the best coach for a Wallabies rugby team is someone who comes from within and has a green and gold heart.
Deans is a kiwi.
Deans is a shit international rugby coach.
Deans is best suited to a Super Rugby coaching mindset, as was his playing career.
Deans appointment as Wallabies coach was a mistake in many commentators views from day one.
A conspiracy theory would be much more acceptable that the god awful truth.
understood?
Cheers

D

daz

Deans is a kiwi; FACT....SNIP>>>>understood?
Cheers

And all of that is fine. Your opinions and all that. A bit hyperbolic and cringeworthy, but pretty harmless; certainly not offensive enough to make it worth invading Poland over, if I was a certain German fellow in the 1930's.

My post wasn't directed only at you. But you did say, and I quote, "How low do our Wallabies have to go before this All Black hearted kiwi coach gets his marching orders?"

Insinuating, I suppose, that our Wallaby coach is an All Black coach in his heart. I refute that, quite happily.

And you also said he was a Kiwi, which I am pretty sure is public knowledge; what does RD being a Kiwi have to do with this conversation, really?

No need to reply. I've moved on.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Deans is a kiwi; FACT.
Did I rant on about any conspiracy; NO.
So as you don't know my position on this I best make myself perfectly clear less you jump to conclusions again.

I do not think, nor is there any evidence to suggest that Deans is a good International Rugby coach FOR ANY NATION. Do/ Did the All Blacks want him? No.
Nor do I believe that even if he was smart enough to conduct such white anting of an enemy to his All Blacks club that he could pull it off.
What I do believe is that the best coach for a Wallabies rugby team is someone who comes from within and has a green and gold heart.
Deans is a kiwi.
Deans is a shit international rugby coach.
Deans is best suited to a Super Rugby coaching mindset, as was his playing career.
Deans appointment as Wallabies coach was a mistake in many commentators views from day one.
A conspiracy theory would be much more acceptable that the god awful truth.
understood?
Cheers
Now that we know that you need never repeat it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.