• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Regarding AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback, I didn't get that. I would've moved J'OC to fullback, and put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing myself, particularly as J'OC's kicking is better, or maybe even punted on Barnes, although I reckon that is a big risk. Easy in hindsight, however, especially seeing as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a bit of a shocker from fullback in terms of attack.

hindsight is nice, but would have stuck Cooper at 15 & Barnes at 10 or JOC (James O'Connor) to 15 & Turner to the wing (he can catch, tackle and chase)

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't think Barnes at 10 would suit a counter attacking game, unless Barnes reels in his first instinct to kick. Barnes will typically look to kick first, pass second, all counter attack ball. What I don't get is why Genia decided to start doing the same thing in the WC. Genia's loss of form was a big shame, but probably no surprise as he was pretty good for the Reds all year, and good in the Tri-Nations too.

But we seem to have abandoned our counter attacking game anyway.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gits hasn't wasted much time in sticking the boot in -

His latest tweet "Wat @ewen_mckenzie write to @QuadeCooper shows he understands players & clearly players like playing for him... #RWC11 #clearsolutionthere"

The question is whether this says more about Deans or Gits?

Absolutely disgusting comment from Giteau, shit house comment actually.

P

pete88

Not Giteau's finest hour, but I'd probably have done the same if I had nothing to lose by expressing an opinion about something I felt strongly about. Confirms beyond all doubt him and Deans were not mates, and that he shouldn't have been picked for that reason if nothing else. He'd have been poison at the tournament with an attitude like that.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Not Giteau's finest hour, but I'd probably have done the same if I had nothing to lose by expressing an opinion about something I felt strongly about. Confirms beyond all doubt him and Deans were not mates, and that he shouldn't have been picked for that reason if nothing else. He'd have been poison at the tournament with an attitude like that.

Gits always gave 100%. You can never fault his effort.

As for the timing of the comment. At least he's saying what most of team must be thinking about deans at this point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our bed was made before the RWC in terms of Cooper at 10. We won the 3N with him at 10 and he was always going to play there throughout the RWC.

Whilst Cooper's form at the RWC was disappointing, it was highly unlikely we were ever going to change up the structure we had been playing with all season.

I don't think the RWC was the disaster that everyone seems to be making it out to be in the day following the loss. The ABs had an excellent first half and we never really got into the game. If Weepu had kicked better we would have been very soundly beaten.

This ABs team will now almost certainly win the RWC and is one of the most successful teams ever. Sure we had a shock loss against Ireland, but making the top 4 of a RWC can never be considered a debacle.

The real stars in our team (Pocock, Genia, Beale, O'Connor and Horwill) should all be better come the next RWC.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree that Gits can absolutely say whatever he wants, he's no longer part of Australian rugby.

But I think that using the relationship between Quade and Link to get a cheap shot in on Robbie shows why he is no longer part of Australian rugby.

For a supposedly mature player it's poor form. It reeks of playing the man and not the ball.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I have no problem with gits saying this. No longer plays for Australia/Deans and can say what he likes. In the end deans did nothing for him.

Does Deans owe Giteau something? What Deans did give him was more lives than a cat.

You are right in the Giteau is free to say what he wants. It want stop me and others from judging him by his actions. He has made a clown of himself here and has probably demonstrated one of the reasons why he was dumped from the Wallabies.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Gnostic; CLIP 1) There has been an ongoing lie perpetuated to justify Deans continuing failure said:
I totally agree with this. Wales played the Boks much better than we did and they beat Samoa. They didn't look great on Saturday, but not much worse than us with our 15 players.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't think the RWC was the disaster that everyone seems to be making it out to be in the day following the loss.

I don't think losing to the ABs was a disaster, but I do think the poor level of play in the tournament was very disappointing. When you get right down to it, we played one good half of attacking football against Italy and two halves of wonderful defense against South Africa. That sucks for a RWC campaign.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Can someone disect what Gits wrote, I dont speak twitter?

This is what I got from it: "What link wrote to cooper shows he understands players better than deans. The writing is on the wall for deans - ewan should be coach"

What is wrong with that comment. That gets said on here 50 times a day.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
Bowside - true.

I guess I don't believe that it's an honest comment. Gits has an axe to grind - it's schoolgirl bitchiness. Ner ner Robbie, nobody likes you.

He's got form when it comes to spitting the dummy when things don't go his way. Dragging an honest and completely unrelated exchange between two other people (Link and Quade) into it is really poor. Particularly in a public forum.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
The way I see it, An Aussie team needs an Aussie coach.

The AB's played with passion, we didn't.

In 1999 McQueen took it all back to grass roots. They trained hard, they played hard, and at times partied hard. But they trained with passion and played with passion.

Now I only see half a team with passion out there.

You can bet the speeches amongst the AB'S were all about 'our country, our people' and dare I say it 'our time!'

I honestly can't see Deans with those inspirtional speeches - especially not being an Aus.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think Barnes at 10 would suit a counter attacking game, unless Barnes reels in his first instinct to kick. Barnes will typically look to kick first, pass second, all counter attack ball. What I don't get is why Genia decided to start doing the same thing in the WC. Genia's loss of form was a big shame, but probably no surprise as he was pretty good for the Reds all year, and good in the Tri-Nations too.

I think our counter attack would have been fine. Barnes would stay in the line and defend meaning beale was the one on the counter most times.

I actually think genia and Cooper may have been overworked at the reds, they didnmuss much time, prob more minutes than halfs. They looked tired Andover it.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
You can single out Gitts if it makes you feel better but....
There is no doubt a lot of players are not saying what they think about the Deans Experiment with Australian Rugby and ARU's JON.
I look forward to hearing more from these, when Deans and JON are gone.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
You can single out Gitts if it makes you feel better but....
There is no doubt a lot of players are not saying what they think about the Deans Experiment with Australian Rugby and ARU's JON.
I look forward to hearing more from these, when Deans and JON are gone.

Details? You seem to be very informed.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
hindsight is nice, but would have stuck Cooper at 15 & Barnes at 10 or JOC (James O'Connor) to 15 & Turner to the wing (he can catch, tackle and chase)

Cooper at 15 and Barnes at 10 was what a lot on this site were calling for.

The biggest failure was of Deans' game plan. Why play a kicking game when you select poor kickers? Either keep the ball in hand or pick a player that is a better kicker.

The above mix would have given Deans both options.

Status
Not open for further replies.