• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10 - Reds v Chiefs, Saturday 21st April 2018 7:45pm @ Lang Park

Who wins?

• Reds

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)
Jack missed so much in the second half almost willing the Reds to do better, Reds lucky to be so close really. Not such a good weekend so far for Aussie teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
and how did your blue eyed boy go?

Yeah, little boy blue was fine. He failed to put one penalty out (a few players did that mind you), but on the plus side he was one of the first at the next ruck (I think he was the tackler too). He was likely a little too ambitious with the kick but was a fairly close thing.

I'd like to see Toua coming off for Petaia with Daugunu sliding over to fullback rather than pulling Perese, unless for some reason we are easing Perese back into it. I also don't get how/why we can find 30 odd minutes for Petaia when we are fairly well supplied on the wing's and centers but we can only find 10 or so minutes for Stewart when we have an unplayable fly half in Lance and then apparently no one else.

It was also nice to see Hockings get a run, he needs to be put on the Tupou/Rodda diet but otherwise looked decent -- albeit like a baby gazelle trying to pick up that lose ball (you could see he knew what he wanted his body to do -- his body just wasn't co-operating on that one).

I'm wondering at what point (if any) do we turn the starting fly half job over to Stewart because he's almost certainly going to be playing it next year if he's ready or not, why not let him make those mistakes now while we don't have too much to play for?
Are there any alternatives?
Is Stewart worse than Jack McIntire?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Also is there a worse international referee than Jaco Peyper? And weren't we doing 'only local crews' for Super Rugby this year? I mean that's what we were doing in South Africa, but apparently not in Australia and it wasn't even a Kiwi. Like I'd understand if we had Kiwi's coming in to referee games in Australia and Aussies refereeing games in New Zealand but set some kind of policy and just stick with it. All locals or all neutrals (not talking about darbies obviously).

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Saw DP on the ground before kick off and he seemed to be limping - not sure if he played Prems this afternoon and took a hit or he has some other injury. Lance's head knock at the end there should see him have a week off as it didn't look good so maybe Thorn can start Stewart at 10 at last.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
A FUCKEN GREAT REMINDER WHY I SHOULD STOP GOING TO REDS A HOME GAMES.
That was terrible to watch, and even fucken worse with the fucken import chief fans with the cow bell.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah, little boy blue was fine. He failed to put one penalty out (a few players did that mind you.
Who else failed to put it out? Stewart actually made a couple of rookie errors but that’s to be expected. No one actually minds so much, as he is coming on in trying circumstances. Your undying infatuation is annoying is all.

You

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Who else failed to put it out? Stewart actually made a couple of rookie errors but that’s to be expected. No one actually minds so much, as he is coming on in trying circumstances. Your undying infatuation is annoying is all.

You

I don't recall but in the first half a few Chiefs players failed to put a few penalties out. It was hard to see as I was right down the other end of the field.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, little boy blue was fine. He failed to put one penalty out (a few players did that mind you), but on the plus side he was one of the first at the next ruck (I think he was the tackler too). He was likely a little too ambitious with the kick but was a fairly close thing.

I'd like to see Toua coming off for Petaia with Daugunu sliding over to fullback rather than pulling Perese, unless for some reason we are easing Perese back into it. I also don't get how/why we can find 30 odd minutes for Petaia when we are fairly well supplied on the wing's and centers but we can only find 10 or so minutes for Stewart when we have an unplayable fly half in Lance and then apparently no one else.

It was also nice to see Hockings get a run, he needs to be put on the Tupou/Rodda diet but otherwise looked decent -- albeit like a baby gazelle trying to pick up that lose ball (you could see he knew what he wanted his body to do -- his body just wasn't co-operating on that one).

I'm wondering at what point (if any) do we turn the starting fly half job over to Stewart because he's almost certainly going to be playing it next year if he's ready or not, why not let him make those mistakes now while we don't have too much to play for?
Are there any alternatives?
Is Stewart worse than Jack McIntire?
Not sure Daugunu’s kicking game is good enough to cover fullback. If the Reds get more front foot ball then it may allow Lance to be more creative. Most of the problem in the back end of the first half was that the Reds’ forwards weren’t going anywhere in attack and Lance had no real options other than to put up the high ball. Unsure whether Stewart would necessarily be any better in the same circumstances.

On a side note, a lot of Kiwi teams but also the Jaguares and the Sunwolves to an extent have worked out how to creep up offside in defence, while the ref is watching the ruck, and shut down the attack early. This is a tactic Australian teams either need to start implementing or bring to the attention of SANZAAR.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Timo try. How did Lance not just drop kick it strait over. Youre behind by a million. Theres bugger all time left. The try looked dodgy. You're right in front of the post.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I went to game, and have to say Reds seem very similar to what they have been the last few years, only with young players playing as badly! Kerevi is not someone I consider a very good 12, he certainly struggles with defence, surprised how easily Chiefs went easily through the midfield. reds certainly look like they are coached by someone who doesn't really understand the idea of manipulating defences , and the number of times they shovel ball through their hands for no purpose is frustrating as hell.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well I went to game, and have to say Reds seem very similar to what they have been the last few years, only with young players playing as badly! Kerevi is not someone I consider a very good 12, he certainly struggles with defence, surprised how easily Chiefs went easily through the midfield. reds certainly look like they are coached by someone who doesn't really understand the idea of manipulating defences , and the number of times they shovel ball through their hands for no purpose is frustrating as hell.

It feels like Carozza and Thorn have missed the last 5 years of attacking tactics and structural setup.

The commentators disbelief when the Chiefs hooker scored in the corner shows they have missed it too.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Paid my money took the kids, put up with the kiwi supporters and the cowbell. That’s it though I am done. No more for me. ( sadly I have said this before) The reds are terrible. The head coach is teaching his young charges ( forwards only I think doubt he has even spoken with a back) to run hard tackle hard and that’s about it. The scrum was poor, line outs average, to many kids and old blokes on the field for the reds. I want to watch a professional team play not a development class. Do the backs actually practice any moves. Watching Sam Cordingley walk around the field Pre game does my head in. How the fuck does he still have a job.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Reds scrum actually started out pretty strongly, I thought?

It is very, very hard for the backs to do much in attack when the forwards are getting towelled up.

I know this is probably not a goer, but gee I would like to see Khunt back in red.

Status
Not open for further replies.