• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10 - Reds v Chiefs, Saturday 21st April 2018 7:45pm @ Lang Park

Who wins?

• Reds

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Firstly, of course it's my opinion! Who elses would they be?
Secondly, which player am I wrong about? Of course use your own opinion to answer.

Well I have to say I was at game Sully, and I know your write up was your opinion, by geez man yours and my opinion is very very similar! You hit most of the nails pretty well smack on the head!

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
The Reds scrum actually started out pretty strongly, I thought?

It is very, very hard for the backs to do much in attack when the forwards are getting towelled up.

I know this is probably not a goer, but gee I would like to see Khunt back in red.

We lost a tight head in the first 20 minutes to a team that is missing six props. We have one off forward runners that are stationary when they catch ball. No wingers coming in provide options, Kerevi doesn’t pass, Lucas should Come off the bench as cover not starting at 9, his defence is good that’s the only reason he could possibly be there. I swear there was classic reds marching around the field that were younger than George Smith or had played with him at least. What exactly is the benefit of having him. Yes he is a class act on but seriously it’s not a golden oldies tournament. How is playing him developing youth. How the hell can Thorn justify ( not that he would bother explaining anything to anyone) sticking with Lance who is off to England again as soon as contract up.let Stewart play for fuck sake. At least in 2009 we were a young team with some real potential developing by getting game time. This developing talent is bullshit anyway, if a loose forward is half decent they still won’t get a top up from the ARU because of Hooper so they will fuck off anywhere just like Gill.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Lance was pretty good in the first few games.

I agree about Stewart, though. As for the rest, it is not a good situation, for sure. Something is very wrong, somewhere.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Replacement half back was very good.

About the other only good point I can make.

I think the Lions are going to eat them at their own game.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We lost a tight head in the first 20 minutes to a team that is missing six props. We have one off forward runners that are stationary when they catch ball. No wingers coming in provide options, Kerevi doesn’t pass, Lucas should Come off the bench as cover not starting at 9, his defence is good that’s the only reason he could possibly be there. I swear there was classic reds marching around the field that were younger than George Smith or had played with him at least. What exactly is the benefit of having him. Yes he is a class act on but seriously it’s not a golden oldies tournament. How is playing him developing youth. How the hell can Thorn justify ( not that he would bother explaining anything to anyone) sticking with Lance who is off to England again as soon as contract up.let Stewart play for fuck sake. At least in 2009 we were a young team with some real potential developing by getting game time. This developing talent is bullshit anyway, if a loose forward is half decent they still won’t get a top up from the ARU because of Hooper so they will fuck off anywhere just like Gill.

The Reds backline is very inexperienced and atm very one dimensional. How much of that is Lance's doing, and how much is down to the other players? Perhaps that answer might become obvious when Stewart or DP or someone else gets to trot out at No 10.

All I can say is that, career-wise, Lance did himself no favours when he left the Rebels to return to the Reds. Imagine playing in a backline with Genia, Meakes, Hodge, Koriobete, Naivalu and DHP, all Wallabies. I am pretty sure he could get them gelling quite a bit better than Jack D has up til now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All I can say is that, career-wise, Lance did himself no favours when he left the Rebels to return to the Reds. Imagine playing in a backline with Genia, Meakes, Hodge, Koriobete, Naivalu and DHP, all Wallabies. I am pretty sure he could get them gelling quite a bit better than Jack D has up til now.

As would Quade.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
You’re right, it is scathing, but more an endorsement of your own personal player dislikes than an actual report. Fair play to you for getting it out early though.

Every writer on the GAGR will see it from their prospective and write, in their opinion, their account of events.

IMHO its well within the traditional Aussie rugby perception of the actual rugby reality. Most of the players mentioned are well know to have significant deficiencies but the moment they change teams history is forgiven for a period before the well known reality is again accepted.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just ask a simple, base question:

In what rugby - or any sporting - universe is taking a total rookie Super HC and adding to him ACs that either have zero track record at coaching at that level, or have an utterly failed track record in coaching at that level, anything other than totally idiotic and ill-judged in the extreme?

That coach team design choice - extraordinarily the one made by the QRU - is simply GUARANTEED to fail when up against manifestly more qualified Super coaching teams. Especially when an RU is attempting to recover from years of poor player development, recruitment and generally badly depleted team morale.

Goes to the point that I am repetitively compelled to make by nothing other than shockingly poor results over 6 years now, namely that the institutional IQ of the QRU is roughly equivalent to something of a single digit level of a 100 level maximum.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
That is the key point; these are very experienced professional rugby players not ‘young and inexperienced ’ as we keep hearing.

There is no direction and no sense of improvement, or even a recognition that things aren’t working seemingly.

I detest the lack of accountability of those in the front office who’ve set up this failure.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
In what rugby universe would Kerevi be considered MOTM for the Reds?

One try came from a crash over from a tryline ruck, platform came from the forwards lineout and maul. The other try came from Lance switching the play back to the blind, noticing that a forward was marking up on that wing.

This is very much an Australian thing focus on the bright shiny things, the tries. No focus in the development pathways on defence, big early developers using their size in attack, the distraction of bright shiny things.

As far as the criticisms coming to Thorn, might be useful to have a read of Sir Alex Fergusons approach.

https://hbr.org/2013/10/fergusons-formula

4. Never, Ever Cede Control

You can’t ever lose control—not when you are dealing with 30 top professionals who are all millionaires,” Ferguson told us. “And if any players want to take me on, to challenge my authority and control, I deal with them.” An important part of maintaining high standards across the board was Ferguson’s willingness to respond forcefully when players violated those standards. If they got into trouble, they were fined. And if they stepped out of line in a way that could undermine the team’s performance, Ferguson let them go. In 2005, when longtime captain Roy Keane publicly criticized his teammates, his contract was terminated. The following year, when United’s leading scorer at the time, Ruud van Nistelrooy, became openly disgruntled over several benchings, he was promptly sold to Real Madrid.

Some English clubs have changed managers so many times that it creates power for the players in the dressing room. That is very dangerous. If the coach has no control, he will not last. You have to achieve a position of comprehensive control. Players must recognize that as the manager, you have the status to control events. You can complicate your life in many ways by asking, “Oh, I wonder if the players like me?” If I did my job well, the players would respect me, and that’s all you need.
I tended to act quickly when I saw a player become a negative influence. Some might say I acted impulsively, but I think it was critical that I made up my mind quickly.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Watch it and cry like a baby

Reds vs Chiefs highlights May 2012 (note who played 10 that day, btw)

The glory days. Fun times they were.

I believe in 2012, the Reds a) got a minimum of 30,000 to every game and b) averaged more than the broncos

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Firstly, of course it's my opinion! Who elses would they be?
Secondly, which player am I wrong about? Of course use your own opinion to answer.
You’re a ‘senior’ on this site so I won’t trade blows with you, the one thing I will agree is that Sorovi looked sharp. Don’t know how you can blame your favorite punching bags for the concedes 36 points, particularly in the first half.

What d

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
As far as the criticisms coming to Thorn, might be useful to have a read of Sir Alex Fergusons approach.

https://hbr.org/2013/10/fergusons-formula

4. Never, Ever Cede Control

You can’t ever lose control—not when you are dealing with 30 top professionals who are all millionaires,” Ferguson told us. “And if any players want to take me on, to challenge my authority and control, I deal with them.”

Sounds familiar, back in the day nobody would even THINK of messing with

grahamhenry_zps521dab57.jpg

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^^^^

If the QRU had one ounce of sense they would realise that their entire coaching organisation, coaching and player development program, the whole fucking lot, needs a radical, root and branch, complete redesign/rebuild.

And that someone of the capability of Graham Henry should be immediately hired on a consulting contract for 2 years to oversight the above task and recommend on key persons to be hired from global sources to replace the mediocre bunch of strugglers and third-graders we have as coaches within QLD rugby today.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I agree but that would require the ‘Good old boys’ to cede control, and that isn’t going to happen. And anyway, the QRU would fuck it up like the they did with the last coaching consultant they contracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.