• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13: Brumbies v Rebels, Sat 12th May @7:40pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

M10

Stan Wickham (3)
I watched Speight miss that tackle on Cottrell that led to the first try and after he missed he made no attempt to get back and try to join in the defence, just jogged back watching it unfold - when you're one of the fastest guys on the field surely you can be expected to get back there and try to stop the opposition, especially when your missed tackle led to them being on the attack. If that is the calibre that Cheika wants in a Wallaby winger, or the Brumbies want in an Super Rugby winger then they're in trouble. Just seems ineffective, even on attack when a guy as powerful and quick as him should be expected to break the line a few times.

I'm not sure what's going on there, but I noticed him jogging back too, when I'd have expected him to be going all out on the chase. He also made a bad defensive error on the third try by the Rebels, going for the tackle early when he was the last man against a three-man overlap - surely any winger should slide, stay in the play and wait for help to arrive in that situation. I can't believe that he's suddenly changed from a very good winger who puts in 100% effort though, as he's been that for so long. I suspect he's just trying to do what the coaches are telling him, and getting frustrated that it doesn't work??? Hard to know though

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
Speight has been a great clubman but his defence has become so bad that it's like he's never seen a game of rugby before. If you count the crazy late tackle against the Tahs he's probably come up with 5 or 6 of the worst defensive plays in brumbies history this year. He can't be picked any longer. There obviously needs to be a full coaching clear out. I also struggle to believe there's not a better Australian 5/8 in the whole country than Hawera.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have lately believed that most of Speight's defensive issues could be traced to the game plan and structures. But if so, why don't we see the same deficiencies on the other side of the field. I'm afraid it must mostly be down to Henry, and it's well past time he was left out of the 23 altogether. A substantial part of the coaching panel, starting with the HC, should also be let go immediately.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Most impressive (maybe the only impressive) aspect of the Brumbies play was Arnold's defense. Continually hit hard and drove the ball players back metres. And I don't think he was pinged for a high tackle all game?

His work in disrupting mauls is also the best in the Aussie conference this year. Having a great year all round.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah no doubt in my mind if Valetini hadn't been injured in round 2 there'd be some serious talk of him making the Wallabies 23.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah no doubt in my mind if Valetini hadn't been injured in round 2 there'd be some serious talk of him making the Wallabies 23.
Agree, still would pick him at 8. No other options really make sense. Although that's Timanis 2nd good game in a row off the bench, really putting his head down and driving the legs on his runs at long last.

Is it fair to say Cheika may have to consider English for the 13 jersey. TK should be no where near it at the moment and no OC has stood out in Aus all season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree, still would pick him at 8. No other options really make sense. Although that's Timanis 2nd good game in a row off the bench, really putting his head down and driving the legs on his runs at long last.

Is it fair to say Cheika may have to consider English for the 13 jersey. TK should be no where near it at the moment and no OC has stood out in Aus all season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
CFS has probably earnt a squad spot.

Our options are decidedly underwhelming.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
tried to watch this match but after about 50 minutes I went into some kind of a walking dead deep coma and threw myself over the balcony.
ps i got no issues with Aus selecting Speight and Kerevi in the backline for test matches this season:cool:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Most impressive (maybe the only impressive) aspect of the Brumbies play was Arnold's defense. Continually hit hard and drove the ball players back metres. And I don't think he was pinged for a high tackle all game?

His work in disrupting mauls is also the best in the Aussie conference this year. Having a great year all round.

Arnold, and Sio, have consistently been the best players for the Brumbies...........

I would actually rate Arnold as one of the top two performing locks in the country this year.......... his all round game has been fairly impressive.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Arnold, and Sio, have consistently been the best players for the Brumbies.....

I would actually rate Arnold as one of the top two performing locks in the country this year.... his all round game has been fairly impressive.

He got in Cheika's bad books last year for some reason. Hopefully, Cheika has been watching him because he's the one guy in Australian Rugby right now, maybe even the whole of Super Rugby, who regularly sacks mauls.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Speight has always been flaky in defence, and he has lost a fair bit of pace since his injuries. I don't see any real upside to his selection over any of the other wingers in the other Australian sides. Even Cam Clarke has been outperforming him in attack and defence and even Taqele better in defence and that is a big ask.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight did have a return to form for the Brumbies last year, but has certainly slumped again............

His lack of form, and the fact that other wingers (Korobeite, Naivalu etc.) have taken their opportunities for the Wallabies in the last couple of years means he shouldn't be anywhere near the test team.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Speight has always been flaky in defence, and he has lost a fair bit of pace since his injuries. I don't see any real upside to his selection over any of the other wingers in the other Australian sides. Even Cam Clarke has been outperforming him in attack and defence and even Taqele better in defence and that is a big ask.

Cam Clarke is a bit unlucky being stuck on the wing in a backline that includes Folau, Beale, and Taqele. Unless it's a genuine draw and pass opportunity to score a try or make a line break, as it was on the weekend, the players inside him just never seem to pass him the ball. He showed last week how quick he was chasing down Ioane so the Waratahs should see if there is a way to use him more regularly rather than relegating him to "making up the numbers."

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Cam Clarke is a bit unlucky being stuck on the wing in a backline that includes Folau, Beale, and Taqele. Unless it's a genuine draw and pass opportunity to score a try or make a line break, as it was on the weekend, the players inside him just never seem to pass him the ball. He showed last week how quick he was chasing down Ioane so the Waratahs should see if there is a way to use him more regularly rather than relegating him to "making up the numbers."

I don't think he is anything special, having watched him in 7s, but he could be used better. Now asking Folau to pass, nobody would want to receive a pass from him - eg last week, and Beale "Le crab" needs Clarke in position on the wing when he runs there from inside centre. Taquele - well he and Clarke will never be in the same area of the field better to ask about the feed from Rona, but then he never gets the ball from Beale or Foley in a usable position either.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Cam Clarke is in better form than any of Speight, Koriobete and Naivalu. But will he be selected? Being a Tah will help, but being relatively inexperienced and maybe not one of Cheika's favourites coming through 7s it is probably unlikely.

Right now, I'd like to see Clarke and Daugunu on the wings for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.