• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13: Brumbies v Rebels, Sat 12th May @7:40pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Cam Clarke is in better form than any of Speight, Koriobete and Naivalu. But will he be selected? Being a Tah will help, but being relatively inexperienced and maybe not one of Cheika's favourites coming through 7s it is probably unlikely.

Right now, I'd like to see Clarke and Daugunu on the wings for the Wallabies.

I've asked a couple of times before but will ask again, does anyone in the know at the Reds have any idea if or when Daugunu is going to be eligible? If Clarke can work on a sidestep he would be on another level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Cam Clarke is in better form than any of Speight, Koriobete and Naivalu. But will he be selected? Being a Tah will help, but being relatively inexperienced and maybe not one of Cheika's favourites coming through 7s it is probably unlikely.

Right now, I'd like to see Clarke and Daugunu on the wings for the Wallabies.

I agree about Clarke's form, but my first choice wing would be Folau. Lets pick people who have the core skills for the position and Folau ticks the boxes as a wing (non kicking or occasional at best) and he doesn't at 15. That means for me the second winger has to be able to kick. When I think of the really good Wallaby sides they have all had the ability to have a winger fall back and genuinely cover 15, Roebuck Campese - Burke/Roff - Latham/Roff. Last year we had Wallabies sides that didn't have a kicker in the back three at all and the danger with Folau at 15 and too many of the available "wingers" would leave us again in that boat.

As for picking Clarke on the coaching side they really have to think about his upside potential, is his current for the ceiling of what he can produce and if so is that test quality. IMO, and would be happy to be wrong, but I think there is little further upside and whilst he is in better form than any of the other candidates I'm not sure he is at test quality.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree about Clarke's form, but my first choice wing would be Folau. Lets pick people who have the core skills for the position and Folau ticks the boxes as a wing (non kicking or occasional at best) and he doesn't at 15. That means for me the second winger has to be able to kick.

As for picking Clarke on the coaching side they really have to think about his upside potential, is his current for the ceiling of what he can produce and if so is that test quality. IMO, and would be happy to be wrong, but I think there is little further upside and whilst he is in better form than any of the other candidates I'm not sure he is at test quality.

Clarke has surprised me. None of the other (eligible) wingers have shown much - Speight is awful, oppositions would just target his defence, Taqele is a limited battering ram, and don't think Cheika would pick Folau on the wing unless he decided to play Beale at 15. It's a shame (and odd) that Thorn has not been picking Perese as I think he has a lot of upside and is a strong defender. The stocks for Wallaby wings are pretty thin at the moment.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Let’s settle down here a little. 3 weeks ago Clark wasn’t even in the Tahs team, since then he has chased Ioane down and finished a try on the weekend. He’s a decent player but has absolutely 0 body of work to point at to even warrant the discussion. We must be the single most reactionary fan group going around. Hodge, Koroibete, TN, Banks, even CFS would be ahead of Clark in the pecking order. Things can change quickly tho.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
R3, I'd go so far as to say things have already changes in respect of Wallaby wingers. I wouldn't have any of Speight, Koriobete or Naivalu close to the side. If Naivalu overcomes his injury problems, he would be the only one who might in time come back.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree about Clarke's form, but my first choice wing would be Folau. Lets pick people who have the core skills for the position and Folau ticks the boxes as a wing (non kicking or occasional at best) and he doesn't at 15. That means for me the second winger has to be able to kick. When I think of the really good Wallaby sides they have all had the ability to have a winger fall back and genuinely cover 15, Roebuck Campese - Burke/Roff - Latham/Roff. Last year we had Wallabies sides that didn't have a kicker in the back three at all and the danger with Folau at 15 and too many of the available "wingers" would leave us again in that boat.

Folau can kick but he doesn’t. Against the Blues he put one out over the 50 from the 22. The problem is not being programmed to kick he only really kicks under extreme pressure which has poor results. The issue needed to be addressed when he first came to Rugby, probably too little too late now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Folau can kick but he doesn’t. Against the Blues he put one out over the 50 from the 22. The problem is not being programmed to kick he only really kicks under extreme pressure which has poor results. The issue needed to be addressed when he first came to Rugby, probably too little too late now.
Folau can't kick for peanuts. The mans a lithe and powerful athlete until he tries to put ball to foot and then he suddenly looks like a new born giraffe.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let’s settle down here a little. 3 weeks ago Clark wasn’t even in the Tahs team, since then he has chased Ioane down and finished a try on the weekend. He’s a decent player but has absolutely 0 body of work to point at to even warrant the discussion. We must be the single most reactionary fan group going around. Hodge, Koroibete, TN, Banks, even CFS would be ahead of Clark in the pecking order. Things can change quickly tho.
It's because we are desperately trying to find anything positive to cling on to.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
R3, I'd go so far as to say things have already changes in respect of Wallaby wingers. I wouldn't have any of Speight, Koriobete or Naivalu close to the side. If Naivalu overcomes his injury problems, he would be the only one who might in time come back.

Koroibete hasn't been as bad as many have predicted. His main problem this year has been lack of discipline and a little bit of a rudderless backline providing quality ball, but apart from this he is undoubtedly the best kick chaser in the country, solid under the high ball (something that needs to be considered against Ireland), generally wins contact and provides some much needed pace. His off the ball and workrate is miles ahead of any other Oz wingers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Koriobete and Speight both suffer from being on the end of underperforming backlines and neither is showing any real attacking prowess this year. The more relevant issue with both is their inclination to go missing in defense. Speight rushes up to try to cut off the ball at an inside position, while Koriobete just gets himself out of position so that oppositions have more than ample opportunity down his wing. I really don't know who is performing worse atm but both should be kept well away from the Wallabies this year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

He can kick but his technique is appalling for a Test fullback. When he has masses of time and space he can gain huge metres, when under pressure he doesn't kick because his technique is so easily charged. He lacks the fundamental skills required for test 15 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.