• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 19 - Reds vs Sunwolves - Friday 13 July 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - although in this case I think almost across the board most Reds fans feel Quirk was very harshly treated and Timu dodged a bullet.

I guess it just shows Queenslanders are the most balanced and fair minded supporters.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah - although in this case I think almost across the board most Reds ALL fans feel Quirk was very harshly treated and Timu dodged a bullet.

I guess it just shows Queenslanders are the most balanced and fair minded supporters.
FTFY

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Now my dear Cyclo - I don’t dispute that ALL fans see it that way. I was merely pointing out that, in this case the opposition was the Reds. According to your earlier statement we should therefore see the refs decisions as being correct. However, we Reds fans, and even our coach, have joined the chorus of dissent because that is the kind of fair minded folk we are.

We really just want to the game to be fair. It’s who we are.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Now my dear Cyclo - I don’t dispute that ALL fans see it that way. I was merely pointing out that, in this case the opposition was the Reds. According to your earlier statement we should therefore see the refs decisions as being correct. However, we Reds fans, and even our coach, have joined the chorus of dissent because that is the kind of fair minded folk we are.

We really just want to the game to be fair. It’s who we are.

You keep telling yourself that. ;)

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Closed fist punch to a player lying on the ground. If we are going to continue with red cards (FYI I think it’s a poor system) then this is the time to use them.

A ‘soft’ punch to the face isn’t a thing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Closed fist punch to a player lying on the ground. If we are going to continue with red cards (FYI I think it’s a poor system) then this is the time to use them.

A ‘soft’ punch to the face isn’t a thing.
Yeah it is ........ but i guess for consistency being reductive has value.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
So while I think it was "soft" why isn't Quirk coping more stick for this? It was the second incident during the match of him having a go at Stewart (who would have thought a 7 would have a go at a young 10). The incident was intentional. He has deliberately done it and could have chosen not to. That makes Quirk an idiot.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess because far worse goes in continually in rugby games and goes completely unpunished.

For example, players regularly get cleaned out off the ball, often blindsided. Pocock (and others - but he seems a priority target for teams) cops far more dangerous attacks at least half a dozen times a game. Cleaning people off the ball is against the rules & dangerous, but is very inconsistently penalised and is far more likely to cause injury than what Quirk did. Likewise a lot of the targeting of Pocock is at least as premeditated and often more likely to cause injury, but is very rarely pulled up.

I’m quite happy for officials to take action to look after player welfare, but what Quirk did the was a non issue. He may have had a closed fist, but he didn’t swing his arm and merely pushed it against Stewart’s head. I am not even going to catergorisd it as a punch as there was no force. Even to penalise it was inconsistent IMO. Rugby is a contact game and a certain amount of needless push and shove needs to be ignored or the whole game would be an endless succession of penalties.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So while I think it was "soft" why isn't Quirk coping more stick for this? It was the second incident during the match of him having a go at Stewart (who would have thought a 7 would have a go at a young 10). The incident was intentional. He has deliberately done it and could have chosen not to. That makes Quirk an idiot.

After a bit of thought I agree Jimmy, I know it was bugger all, but who then decides that the next facial with a closed fist is slightly harder so it may need more action? do we say unless there someone laid out or bleeding before we penalise? It kind of annoys me that noone has actually said it was not a bright thing to do anyway as you risking the ref YCing you. Just out of interest I was surprised noone mentioned how many times it got replayed on the big screen at the park before it got picked up, must of been at least 4 times.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess because far worse goes in continually in rugby games and goes completely unpunished.

For example, players regularly get cleaned out off the ball, often blindsided. Pocock (and others - but he seems a priority target for teams) cops far more dangerous attacks at least half a dozen times a game. Cleaning people off the ball is against the rules & dangerous, but is very inconsistently penalised and is far more likely to cause injury than what Quirk did. Likewise a lot of the targeting of Pocock is at least as premeditated and often more likely to cause injury, but is very rarely pulled up.

I’m quite happy for officials to take action to look after player welfare, but what Quirk did the was a non issue. He may have had a closed fist, but he didn’t swing his arm and merely pushed it against Stewart’s head. I am not even going to catergorisd it as a punch as there was no force. Even to penalise it was inconsistent IMO. Rugby is a contact game and a certain amount of needless push and shove needs to be ignored or the whole game would be an endless succession of penalties.

I don't disagree that there are other more dangerous actions in the game but in this instance it's more of a don't put yourself ( or the ref) in that position. Remember Ed O'Donoghue losing the reds the game a few years back by putting his hands on a guy's face and giving away a penalty in front. Initally it was thought he eye gouged turned out to be nothing but he didn't need to do it. In my opinion of the three reds cards in the past two weeks fauuli and quirk were both deliberate actions and masirewas was not. Players need to take some responsibility too

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Better refereeing without needing to follow a rigid tick box system would have been to penalise Quirk, tell him not to do it again or the repercussions would be more serious and get on with the game.

I agree with Jimmy_Crouch that player responsibility is important but there needs to be some common sense applied through the laws and refereeing.

If a red card is meant to be for serious foul or dangerous play then that certainly wasn't it. It was stupid gamesmanship but there was never any chance of causing injury.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Better refereeing without needing to follow a rigid tick box system would have been to penalise Quirk, tell him not to do it again or the repercussions would be more serious and get on with the game.

I agree with Jimmy_Crouch that player responsibility is important but there needs to be some common sense applied through the laws and refereeing.

If a red card is meant to be for serious foul or dangerous play then that certainly wasn't it. It was stupid gamesmanship but there was never any chance of causing injury.
You get more common sense rugby officiating from your middle aged subbies ref who bangs a dart at half time. Professionalism has it's drawbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.