• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 19 - Reds vs Sunwolves - Friday 13 July 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do agree it is was unnecessary by Quirk and, in doing it, he created the situation which led him to being sent and, more broadly that most of these penalities and interruptions are initiated by a player doing the wrong thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You get more common sense rugby officiating from your middle aged subbies ref who bangs a dart at half time. Professionalism has it's drawbacks.

One of the big things this year is the referees are very clearly competing for gigs at the RWC etc.

It would seem they get marked far more on correct decisions than flow of games etc.

They are more likely to be marked correctly for giving Ed Quirk a red card than for penalising him, calling him an idiot and moving on.

There needs to be some discretion provided to referees particularly when it comes to the use of cards. There also needs to be some direction given to TMO's in how they reply to the referee. You could take the same incident, one referee says red card, one says yellow and one says penalty only and it seems like the TMO will agree with them in each case.

Having the TMO trying to talk the referee back from the edge when discussing a red card seems like a good idea in general.

Having a red card criteria that goes something like:

1) Was this a seriously dangerous or foul play action by the player?
2) Does the act committed warrant further suspension for the player (because every red card incident basically does under the regulations)?
3) If the answers to 1 and 2 are both not a certain yes, is there scope that this could reasonably be considered a yellow card offence?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Seems very strange then that he didnt send Timu from the field. A much more straightforward red I would have thought?

Home town reffing? (Not a criticism by the way, more an inevitability)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.