• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 - Brumbies vs Waratahs - Friday 15 March @ 7:45pm in Canberra

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would you also say Jackson Hope was poor?

Powell had another huge game defensively. CLL also made a number of key tackles. Brumbies attack shape limits the impact of both players to a casual/uninformed observer, particularly Powell.

I do appreciate the defensive efforts put in by Joe Powell, but it was Gordon's sniping around the ruck that put him slightly ahead on the night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looked like a knee again, it wasnt pretty on tv, back and across never good. lets hope his ok
Yeh feel for Valentini as nobody would have come out good in that sort of tackle / body contortion action that happened. He deserves a break as playing good rugby to push for Wallaby RWC squad position and would be good to see how good he could be with a good injury free run.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Terrible game. The Tahs spluttering attack continued. The pack got hammered many times and Foley looked lost. Same with Beale. Tahs seem to want to bore everyone to death going away from their strengths of running rugby.
Yes after some good games of rugby early in the seasons from sides the quality of games quickly dropping off. I hope not a false dawn but I can't see Tahs or Brumbies threatening top NZ super rugby sides on last nights performances.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I just don't understand what the Tahs are trying to do. What are their tactics?

It seems like the game plan was pass it back 5m to a forward not running on to it with the aim of getting tackled behind the advantage line.

Every second phase they played the ball out the back from the forward, so the next tackle could be made even further behind the advantage line. It had to be coach directed because they did it all game, including straight after the half break.
The locks passed the ball 16 times between them, and ran it just 9.

What are they trying to achieve?

The Brums line speed wasn't even that quick, what's going to happen against an aggressive rush defense?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
For the Brums, their centres passed the ball just twice combined. Kurindrani didn't pass the ball at all (if ESPN stats can be believed). Tells you pretty much everything about their approach.

Edit: not a criticsm. Run straight and hard at that Huntless centre defense

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
What are our (Tahs) backup plans at 5/8?
Despite Foley having a shocker all night, Mack Mason was left on the bench until the 75th minute (approx).
If Gibson wants Foley to play himself into form, then we are too deep into the season for that to work.
Mason needs more game time in order to gel with the team under pressure, and to show what he is capable of. At the moment, Gibson can't make a judgement about him because Mason has had little game time.
It's frustrating.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah Mason surely needs more game time, especially if Foley is to be rested at some point this season. Unsure why he isn’t been given more of an opportunity

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope not a false dawn but I can't see Tahs or Brumbies threatening top NZ super rugby sides on last nights performances.

No quite sure what you mean.

In any case I think your post should read "Top NZ rugby side"
There is only 1 team. Crusaders will probably go through undefeated.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Terrible game. The Tahs spluttering attack continued. The pack got hammered many times and Foley looked lost. Same with Beale. Tahs seem to want to bore everyone to death going away from their strengths of running rugby.

Lots of pass the parcel rubbish

I thought you only passed to someone in a better position to you and it was the receivers responsibility to be in that better position

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No quite sure what you mean.

In any case I think your post should read "Top NZ rugby side"
There is only 1 team. Crusaders will probably go through undefeated.

Hurricanes are rather good as well, the Highlanders are solid while the Blues and Chiefs will be randoms likely to 50 on you or lose

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
What are our (Tahs) backup plans at 5/8?
Despite Foley having a shocker all night, Mack Mason was left on the bench until the 75th minute (approx).
If Gibson wants Foley to play himself into form, then we are too deep into the season for that to work.
Mason needs more game time in order to gel with the team under pressure, and to show what he is capable of. At the moment, Gibson can't make a judgement about him because Mason has had little game time.
It's frustrating.
Plan B, is probably Beale. Can't see Mason starting.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What a shit game of rugby

Absolutely, especially if you watched the previous game between the Chiefs and the Hurricanes.

A couple of observations. Firstly, I doubt that any of our players would make either the Chiefs or the Hurricanes squads, at least on their respective performances last night.

Secondly, how is it that Kepu still does stuff like this? Has he got some sort of intellectual disability?

Thirdly, latish in the game Sam Carter fluffed a pass, and smiled. Can anybody imagine a Kiwi smiling after making a mistake? Kind of summarises the difference in cultures. They take it seriously, it is just a game to us.

I won't say anything about Foley. What could anybody say?

I thought Arnold was good, and McCaffrey of course gave a lot, as did Fainga'a.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Foley's kicking was terrible, definitely. But the rest of the garbage that happened looked like a coached plan.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
This was so underplayed last week, while all the talk was about the turf there was little talk about the massive impact it had on the game, especially nullifying a team that would of destroyed them come scrum time.
Don't think the Tahs scrum did too badly. Don't think we have lost a scrum yet. I thought the Tahs scrum countered the Brums preety well. 1 scrum the Brums front row came up. Thought the Tahs should have got the penalty.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

It seems like the game plan was pass it back 5m to a forward not running on to it with the aim of getting tackled behind the advantage line.

Every second phase they played the ball out the back from the forward, so the next tackle could be made even further behind the advantage line. It had to be coach directed because they did it all game, including straight after the half break.

The Brums line speed wasn't even that quick, what's going to happen against an aggressive rush defense?

From the look of it I don't think the Tahs know what they are trying to do and I don't think they have clear tactics. For these to occur they need an actual head coach who knows what to do and has tactics.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

The problems are:
Gibson is coach
Gibson and his pointless belief system in light and mobile pack.
Hot potato football to compensate for the pack.
Reliance on a few individuals to have miracle parts in the game to score points.
Gibson is coach
Recruitment on Gibson's beliefs
No clear and concise game plan
A flyhalf who can't kick
Gibson is coach
No go forward
And Gibson is coach