• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Waratahs v Crusaders - Sunday 2 April 2017 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If Mason performs for you guys while we still are paying JMac to play rugby I am going to gulag myself (I hope he does well though)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully it's not a case of:

Advertisement says this:
hero_pdt_big_mac.png

Reality looks like:

article-2147047-005D53D500000258-368_468x295.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow Mack Mason eh?

As I said on the U20s thread recently I thought he was the best back in the Aussie U20 team in Manchester last year - not that it was a high bar.

Not shy of a tackle either - that year he spent with the Melbourne Storm and learning stuff from old Aussie Schools rugby union player Cooper Cronk would have done him no harm.

It's a big step up for a Supplementary Squad player who gets paid by the week - unless he was upgraded recently - good luck to him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why?
The very fact he signed Mason,was a vote of no confidence in Deegan.

He's on the same level contract as Deegan who was also upgraded from last year.

Clearly they now see Mason ahead of Deegan based on this selection but I also think it is some smart recruiting. Clearly it isn't straight forward determining which young 10 will develop the best so having a couple of them on the books makes sense. A lot of other positions are far more predictable in terms of talent ID vs future ability.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Clearly they now see Mason ahead of Deegan based on this selection but I also think it is some smart recruiting. Clearly it isn't straight forward determining which young 10 will develop the best so having a couple of them on the books makes sense. A lot of other positions are far more predictable in terms of talent ID vs future ability.

It would be fantastic to unearth even a half competent 10. Not just for the Waratahs but for Australian rugby in general.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wow Mack Mason eh?

As I said on the U20s thread recently I thought he was the best back in the Aussie U20 team in Manchester last year - not that it was a high bar.

Not shy of a tackle either - that year he spent with the Melbourne Storm and learning stuff from old Aussie Schools rugby union player Cooper Cronk would have done him no harm.

It's a big step up for a Supplementary Squad player who gets paid by the week - unless he was upgraded recently - good luck to him.

Indeed.

Lee - may I add another little cross-code anecdote re Mason - when he was a highly successful 10 at Churchie in the QLD GPS comp his team's 15 then was none other than Kalyn Ponga, now considered a sensational young League player headed to the Knights on, reportedly, c.$800k-1m per annum. (In Ponga's notorious YouTube highlights reel, much of which was from Churchie games, you'll see Mason there with 10 on his back.)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

You make it sound like they upgraded Deegan at the same time as signing Mack.
They didn't.
i don't think it's smart recruiting to consistently have players in your 35 that you don't use for years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You make it sound like they upgraded Deegan at the same time as signing Mack.
They didn't.
i don't think it's smart recruiting to consistently have players in your 35 that you don't use for years.

Deegan got upgraded in August, Mason signed in November.

Both are in the 36 man squad this season. Deegan was outside that last year so it is the first year in the main squad for either of them.

Anyway, let's hope Mason goes well on Sunday.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Deegan seems to struggle when pressured. He seems to lose it a bit when the game is on the line. I saw that in the NRC Grand final. When one thing goes wrong for him or he makes a mistake then it snowballs for him. I hope if Mason plays he is well protected and does well.

if you have built expectations due to NRC, then don't hold much hope for Mack unfortunately. He struggled to cut it despite being outside one of the strongest packs in the comp, and having two of the best backs (Banks and Perese).Defence was a big issue.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wow Mack Mason eh?

perhaps with players his own age. He was very poor in D during the NRC. Missed as many as he made.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It would be fantastic to unearth even a half competent 10. Not just for the Waratahs but for Australian rugby in general.

It would be fantastic if we accept his age and experience level when considering taking on a Crusaders unit in wet weather, too ;)

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
I was speaking generally, not for the next match (although that'd be handy).

Also, most 10s seem to be a bit rubbish in defence.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Mason is picked (which I want to see in Foley's absence) I think we can expect to see Folau and/or Horwitz at first receiver a bit during general play. Sounds like his defence is good and taking the pressure off him and giving him some room in attack would be smart.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wow Mack Mason eh?

Well I guess at least we find out quickly if Mack mason can step up to super rugby and will know sooner rather than later if he is ready. As given lack of 10 options generally in oz super rugby got to try different players. Hegarty been disappointing after good trials form.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'll definitely be trying to tune in and see how he goes. From what I remember of seeing him at Churchie he has a wickedly fast and flat pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.