• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7: Hurricanes v Waratahs - Friday 5:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper may not be a strong over the ball as some - but that is not his primary role (something which upsets a lot of people). He can and does win turnovers, but where Pocock often positioned himself to be second into the tackle, Hooper looks to tackle and counter ruck.

Australia really struggles at the moment for forwards who can dent the line, drive people back in defence, link with other players in attack and match the physical intensity of the New Zealand packs over 80 minutes. Hooper is possibly our only forward who ticks all those boxes.

Yet he seems the one most criticised, often for 'not being a 7'. I just don't understand the level to which he gets singled out. In most cases, whether you are talking super rugby or tests, it seems to me that if the 7 other forwards had as much impact on the game as Hooper we'd be far more competitive.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think the best indication of the impact that Hooper makes is the fact that his team mates always seem to pick him as their best player internally- hence his consecutive John Eales medals- he's clearly a player others enjoy playing with and value.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Hooper may not be a strong over the ball as some - but that is not his primary role (something which upsets a lot of people). He can and does win turnovers, but where Pocock often positioned himself to be second into the tackle, Hooper looks to tackle and counter ruck.

Australia really struggles at the moment for forwards who can dent the line, drive people back in defence, link with other players in attack and match the physical intensity of the New Zealand packs over 80 minutes. Hooper is possibly our only forward who ticks all those boxes.

Yet he seems the one most criticised, often for 'not being a 7'. I just don't understand the level to which he gets singled out. In most cases, whether you are talking super rugby or tests, it seems to me that if the 7 other forwards had as much impact on the game as Hooper we'd be far more competitive.
Fortunately coaches don't carry the same criticisms. He'll keep getting picked for the Tahs and the Wallabies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It’s true. We can do whatever we want. Stay up late way past our bedtimes? Pfft, do it all the time. Get fucked mum, I’m a kiwi. I do what I want. Wander around offside? Fuck yeah! All the ref’s are our pals. They’re in our pockets. Have been for a decade. Nothing to see here Sir, amirite? Tool along down the motorway on the wrong side of the fucken road? “Kiwi here, right of way, doing whatever I want, move of it or lose it, fellow commuter.” Yellow cards for obstruction inside the 22? Fuck no. That’s for non-Kiwi’s. Thanks ref! You’re our pal. See ya next week mate. Practice? Fuck that. I mean we COULD practice, if we wanted to. Because as Kiwi’s, we can do whatever we want. But tackling practice? Passing practice? Sounds way too much like work. Nah, let’s just rock up on the weekend and see what happens.
Mind you, dismal, some of the driving over there could lead you to think it's ok to drive on both sides of the road

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mind you, dismal, some of the driving over there could lead you to think it's ok to drive on both sides of the road

R0PkSBo.gif

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
In the long run I believe the Tahs' real weakness in the forwards has been the second row. Props are very good when Robertson is available and Kepu is fit or uninjured(?). Hanigan is looking the goods at No 6 and Holloway just needs to regain game fitness from his long injury layoff. Get a couple of better performing locks and that'll be a very strong pack.

Spot on. We're desperately short of good, hard, shredding second-rowers in Oz rugby ATM, the Tahs especially so. Mumm's a classic halfling with not enough mongrel and Skelton's a patchy player at best. The point made earlier about the lads who were bigger (and faster) than their peers at a young age neglecting to develop all their rugby skills holds quite true for both Willie and Taqele.

Status
Not open for further replies.