• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was there anything announced yesterday or overnight about a new 7s comp or changes to it?

I do a weekly spot on EON sports radio and it was the first question they asked and I had no idea what they meant. Had to bluff my way through but still can't find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting that only three remain from the 12 that did the men's Olympics, even allowing for the likes of Joubert going back to XV's that's a huge turnover. Hope it doesn't lead to a drop in standard as the newbies get up to speed (in all senses of the word).

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of who:

a) got a better gig in a professional league.
b) chose not to continue.
c) got dropped from the panel.

7s is definitely the referee pathway that World Rugby has created so it is important they focus on getting the standard as high as possible.

It's disappointing that there is only one Aussie involved in each of the men's and women's series.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
cheers, I'm keen to actually see the training squad to see if there are any new faces.

Some of those schoolboy wonderkids should be approached I reckon.

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
cheers, I'm keen to actually see the training squad to see if there are any new faces.

Some of those schoolboy wonderkids should be approached I reckon.

I pulled over to watch a bit and they were all working hard. One strong fit looking kid, quick and good skills training with them.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No doubt we need fresh new comers to Aust men's 7's, if we are to compete with the humongous giants of Fiji & kiwis . My 2 (must have) criteria's are :
1. Explosive speed
2. Power (size height and strength).

T

TOCC

I think there's been a few players identified from the NRC who may get the call up

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No doubt we need fresh new comers to Aust men's 7's, if we are to compete with the humongous giants of Fiji & kiwis . My 2 (must have) criteria's are :
1. Explosive speed
2. Power (size height and strength).
I like the idea of recruiting talented schoolboys as may be way of keeping some talent in the game otherwise that might be lost to league.

How much do 7's players get paid btw

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
I like the idea of recruiting talented schoolboys as may be way of keeping some talent in the game otherwise that might be lost to league.

How much do 7's players get paid btw

We need Athletes, speed / strength and good ball skills / defense all in one package. Even if we have to look around different areas to find, otherwise we will be the same position. I have been told different $$$$ for players upwards of $60 000

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...AHYlHhOZ7B0ekKRVSdkCQg&bvm=bv.135258522,d.dGo

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think there's been a few players identified from the NRC who may get the call up

yeah, that was mentioned at least in the commentary to the Brisbane v QLD C game with the name Maclean Jones the only one being mentioned as a contender. He wouldn't be the first one that would spring to my mind.

Will be interesting to see who get's a run.

Still think Junior Laloifi would be worth another shot, but with a young bub it may not interest him.

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
yeah, that was mentioned at least in the commentary to the Brisbane v QLD C game with the name Maclean Jones the only one being mentioned as a contender. He wouldn't be the first one that would spring to my mind.

Will be interesting to see who get's a run.

Still think Junior Laloifi would be worth another shot, but with a young bub it may not interest him.

There are a group of players training at the moment. Its great to see new faces and they are all young. We need new fresh blood into the team that are the right fit to be a 7s player

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looks like Samoa will be naming SGT as their new coach later today, apparently he's in Samoa inspecting facilities etc:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...cure-sevens-coaching-guru-sir-gordon-tietjens

Gunna be interesting when the PM/ SRU Chairman starts poking his nose into SGT's business, I can't see him being as accepting of it as his predecessors.....

Wow, that is a very interesting development in the world of rugby 7's. It poses a lot of questions.
  • For such a high profile coach(proven record), why Samoa? He can go anywhere in the tier One world of rugby and name his price as a 7's coach.
  • Is Ben Ryan's recent success with Fiji, a challenge for him to "apply" his trade with minimal resources (eg, $$$, equipment and facility, a deeply cultured community) and a whole lot of Polynesian raw talent to achieve a similar feat(gold medal and championship winners)?
Whatever his personal reasons and challenges, I wish him all the best and a great fortune for Samoa, who always have the potential to be a regular champion team alongside, FIJI, NZ, ENG, & Sth AFRICA.