• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just one game over 50k this week. Ratings have been slipping all year and must really be a concern for fox.

@MediaweekAUS: Fri STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#HURvHIG 44k
#FORvBRU 34k

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
#REDvCHI 58k
#BLUvCRU 48k
#REBvBUL 33k
#CHEvWAR 30k

T

TOCC

They haven't even finalised the deal for 2016 yet :/
But tell me again how the current format is the correct one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They haven't even finalised the deal for 2016 yet :/
But tell me again how the current format is the correct one.

I don't think the format has much to do with it. There is absolutely zero advertising for Super rugby off fox. Apart from that the numbers tell me that even the grass roots people involved with amatuer rugby at the various level just aren't watching. The top down "growth" model the ARU has had since professionalism is the issue.

T

TOCC

Do you think a change in format would change the ratings?

Absolutely it would, the question is whether this boost in ratings from the Australia market would offset the loss in broadcast value by cutting away some of the South African product.

You can't tell me that ratings wouldn't improve if the Waratahs weren't playing at 2am in the morning. The fact that in the last two months, Australia's 2 highest ranked teams have essentially disappeared into the abyss of South Africa is indicative of this, Super Rugby in Australia is in the last weeks leading into the finals and rugby union is losing crucial media exposure because our top teams are on the other side of the world for a 3 week tour.

Poor handling of the draw(due to the complexities of the format) have seen the 7:30pm time slot on a Friday and Saturday night left vacant with matches been played either side of the prime time position, who organised this draw? That would not occur in other professional sports.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think the format has much to do with it. There is absolutely zero advertising for Super rugby off fox. Apart from that the numbers tell me that even the grass roots people involved with amatuer rugby at the various level just aren't watching. The top down "growth" model the ARU has had since professionalism is the issue.

And the profit decline continues

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

What was the alternative? In a professional environment we have to rely on the top level to bring in the revenue, surely?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

What is the alternative?

The top tier brings in the revenue, if it is not successful the whole code is doomed.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Absolutely it would, the question is whether this boost in ratings from the Australia market would offset the loss in broadcast value by cutting away some of the South African product.

Well the ARU went into the current negotiations with the preference for 2 separate stand alone conferences that didn't meet until finals. This was knocked back by the NZRU, SARU and apparently all the broadcasters.

I don't think the concern is with the Waratahs ratings late at night, but that the ratings for the 5:30 and 7:30 games have been declining.

T

TOCC

Nope, NRL crowds down but ratings up...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'd love it if someone did some analysis of the ratings for the front page.

Graphing it year on year would be an eye opener

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have said it before, and I will say it again. Like it or not, our code is now in the entertainment business, and to the vast majority of Australians it is just not entertaining enough. And, regrettably, as the grass roots shrinks, the number of tragics who will watch it come hell or high water will continue to fall.

There is SFA we can do aboUt it, unless and until the powers that be at Whirled Rugby wake up to this.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
wamberal I'll say this again..

The only place in the world where rugby is declining is Australia and possibly NZ. Why should World Rugby alter the game to suit one country? The game is extremely healthy in Europe and booming in countries where it's not very popular.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The only place in the world were rugby is declining is Australia and possibly NZ. Why should World Rugby alter the game to suit one country? The game is extremely healthy in Europe and booming in countries where it's not very popular.

At the same time, that doesn't mean it wouldn't grow quicker in other countries, particularly at the elite (commercial) level if the game was more consistently entertaining. I think that the response to the final week of the 6 nations this year is evidence that it may also be the case in Europe.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd love it if someone did some analysis of the ratings for the front page.

Graphing it year on year would be an eye opener

Just a little blast from the past, which adds some history and context re what viewers liked to watch (at one stage, anyway), and what's happened since.

The data below is from www.news.com.au May 31, 2011 re the Fox viewership for the pre-finals stage of the Reds S15 in mid-2011. How long has it been since we have seen pre-finals S15 Fox figures like these? And to Wamberal's good point above, recall that in 2011 the Reds were widely seen as playing 'a highly entertaining brand of rugby'. But equally, wow, only 4 years ago the first ever Rebels game in early 2011 was watched by no less that 231k! In 2015, we are struggling to average 50+k per game on Fox.

"Sunday's hard-fought (Reds, pre-finals) victory over the Crusaders attracted an average viewing audience of 202,000, making it the second highest rating Super Rugby clash of the season behind the first game of the new Rebels franchise against the Waratahs, which attracted 231,000.

"The match was the third highest rating television program on Fox on Sunday behind the Storm-Sharks NRL match (233,000) and the Western Bulldogs-Hawthorn AFL game (214,000) but comfortably ahead of the Brisbane Lions-Adelaide game, which attracted 134,000."

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What is the alternative?

The top tier brings in the revenue, if it is not successful the whole code is doomed.

Not being a sports administrator I really don't know what the alternative could be. But promoting the "elite" at the expense of the grass roots supporter base hasn't worked too well has it. That coupled with far too many snouts in the trough has bankrupted the code in this country, so yes unless there is a massive turnaround I think professionally it is doomed.

As I said above if the grass roots supporters and the club members watched the games the viewership would be 3 or 4 times what it is each game. Has the ARU asked why those people aren't engaged? What ties do the clubs have to the Super sides now days? Genuine question I don't know? I used to sneer at the League sides and their look-a-like jerseys between the junior clubs and the NRL sides, but it certainly fosters an attachment.

I'm not suggesting that but the grass roots are estranged from the Pro game and they really have to do something to re-engage those people, apparently we had record participation levels last year (if you can believe that).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just a little blast from the past, which adds some history and context re what viewers liked to watch (at one stage, anyway), and what's happened since.

The data below is from www.news.com.au May 31, 2011 re the Fox viewership for the pre-finals stage of the Reds S15 in mid-2011. How long has it been since we have seen pre-finals S15 Fox figures like these? And to Wamberal's good point above, recall that in 2011 the Reds were widely seen as playing 'a highly entertaining brand of rugby'. But equally, wow, only 4 years ago the first ever Rebels game in early 2011 was watched by no less that 231k! In 2015, we are struggling to average 50+k per game on Fox.

"Sunday's hard-fought (Reds, pre-finals) victory over the Crusaders attracted an average viewing audience of 202,000, making it the second highest rating Super Rugby clash of the season behind the first game of the new Rebels franchise against the Waratahs, which attracted 231,000.

"The match was the third highest rating television program on Fox on Sunday behind the Storm-Sharks NRL match (233,000) and the Western Bulldogs-Hawthorn AFL game (214,000) but comfortably ahead of the Brisbane Lions-Adelaide game, which attracted 134,000."

That shows a precipitous fall. If I was investing in a business with falling customer numbers like that I know what I'd be valuing at unless they had some stunning forward orders/potential.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
From memory when the Reds were winning didn't they take the preferred Saturday night game from the Tahs?

I think Fox plans to have the best rating team on a Saturday night and if the Tahs are available they usually get it but the Reds were so good to watch that they switched the preference for a small time.

Shows what great rugby can do

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
As I said above if the grass roots supporters and the club members watched the games the viewership would be 3 or 4 times what it is each game. Has the ARU asked why those people aren't engaged? What ties do the clubs have to the Super sides now days? Genuine question I don't know? I used to sneer at the League sides and their look-a-like jerseys between the junior clubs and the NRL sides, but it certainly fosters an attachment.
In Victoria most of the clubs, including juniors have the Rebels logo on their jersey. There should be similar links in other States to the top team.

Status
Not open for further replies.