• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I could not agree more about the need for a good communication process. Below I have copied part of an email and some youtubes as well sent from a mate who works in advertising and marketing. He said FFA have been very clever and very strategic and it paying off in terms of government relationships, media, sponsors etc.

Sometimes we forget how important having a strategic communication policy is and with Frank Lowy as its head FFA with his experience of positioning Weatfields to where it is today has done an unbelievable job in this regard.

To part of his email when I had asked him a question about sport in general. I actually remember all these and I don’t follow soccer in any great detail. He also copied a couple of their ads they sent to football forums and says they don’t show much about the game they show the fans having fun which he says is aimed at the youth and other codes can’t see it coming as they still promote the big hits.

Back to the email
That is the point of their communications strategy. Football has only sent a handful of ‘key messages’ into the culture in the last decade, they are all strategic:

1. ‘Old soccer is now new football’ (launch message).
2. ‘We are football’ (claiming our community identity).
3. ‘Australia is a part of the world’s biggest game’ (aspiration for Australia).
4. ‘Football is the fastest growing sport in Australia’ (get on board with everyone else).
5. ‘The Socceroos represent contemporary Australia better than any other national team’ (Australian identity).
6. ‘Football will be the number one sport in Australia’ (aspiration for the game).

You should expect this messaging to last a little longer yet. It’s strategic purpose is obvious, but all the experts will tell you – as a challenging product the messaging must be consistent, ongoing and simple.

The FFA are being very disciplined in this.

The youtubes he sent as well, and you can see the “We are Football” in the ads and remember they showed a couple of times on TV but in the main where sent through their social media networks. The launch ad is brilliant.

United - Hyundai A-League 2011/2012 TV Commercial

Hyundai A-League - WE ARE FOOTBALL.

Launch ad

Hyundai is a HUGE multinational company that supports soccer in ALL countries. They have even been sponsors of the FIFA WC (or still are, I'm not sure).

Which is that HUGE multinational company for Aussie Rugby? BMW? The Germans aren't interested in rugby, so their support is minimal. While soccer has grown in the Asian market so the Koreans are willing to invest a lot of money in it.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think it has been very disappointing that the Back Page has had ZERO rugby in the last two episodes. FFS we are having an international Test this weekend! If the broadcaster who owns rugby in this country won't even promote it what chance do we really have of growing the game.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hyundai is a HUGE multinational company that supports soccer in ALL countries. They have even been sponsors of the FIFA WC (or still are, I'm not sure).

Which is that HUGE multinational company for Aussie Rugby? BMW? The Germans aren't interested in rugby, so their support is minimal. While soccer has grown in the Asian market so the Koreans are willing to invest a lot of money in it.

Kia were actually the sponsor for Soccer WC this year (same company but different brand) I can tell you those decisions from the car makers are made Locally by their CEO's here not overseas. Sure they need to be signed off on however the call was made here first not by Korea. Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Hyundai/Kia all could jump on board with Rugby if the product to them was right. Maybe with the Rugby World Cup in Japan Australian Rugby could hit one of those Jap brands up!

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kia were actually the sponsor for Soccer WC this year (same company but different brand) I can tell you those decisions from the car makers are made Locally by their CEO's here not overseas. Sure they need to be signed off on however the call was made here first not by Korea. Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Hyundai/Kia all could jump on board with Rugby if the product to them was right. Maybe with the Rugby World Cup in Japan Australian Rugby could hit one of those Jap brands up!

Hyundai Kia Automotive Group is the same group, right?

HSBC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's the money?

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep Hyundai and Kia are in the same company as I said however are run seperatly. Kind of like saying Tata is a Jaguar F Type different brands but are the same company.

T

TOCC

Where's the money?

HSBC bankrolls the IRB 7's and are expanding sponsorship for 2015-2016 onwards to include women's 7's and individual sponsorship of each individual leg, Sydney 7's major sponsor will be HSBC.

HSBC were also naming sponsor the B&L tour, are a major sponsor of the Wallabies and for the better part of 12 years they were the naming rights sponsor of the Tahs and Asian 5 Nations/Asia 7 Series.

T

TOCC

This discussion has really been sidetracked.... Back to TV ratings

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think it has been very disappointing that the Back Page has had ZERO rugby in the last two episodes. FFS we are having an international Test this weekend! If the broadcaster who owns rugby in this country won't even promote it what chance do we really have of growing the game.
Disappointing but it is run by and for League.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
None have been published for ages :(

I've been trying to get Shute Shield figures but no luck so far. Anyone else?

So hopefully with the break in any content for a few weeks the appetite should be there so I will be interested to see the ratings from the weekend.

T

Train Without a Station

Wonder what the Foxtel ratings were. 405k on FTA is good considering 1/3 of the population have Foxtel and likely watched that telecast. Could be as high as 800k based on that.

T

Train Without a Station

Was 198k for Fox Sports.

Total of 603k. Good jump from Super Rugby and shows there is demand for locally played content in good time zones when available.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Decent ratings, especially with all the other sport on last night - The usual mungo and afl crap, Real Madrid match and the Ashes.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Was 198k for Fox Sports.

Total of 603k. Good jump from Super Rugby and shows there is demand for locally played content in good time zones when available.

If I am doing my maths correctly, looks like the numbers are down compared to last year. which is a worry considering this is a WC year (extra hype and advertising) and a condensed series.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If I am doing my maths correctly, looks like the numbers are down compared to last year. which is a worry considering this is a WC year (extra hype and advertising) and a condensed series.
Do you mind sharing last years numbers?
When the matches are shared 10/one its hard to find sometimes because they don't crack the top 20 individually.

Foxsports rating up quite a bit on last year (~30k)

Status
Not open for further replies.