• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New TV deal will see more money, and Super Rugby replays shown on Channel Ten:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...cast-rights-deal/story-e6frg996-1227476548974

It’s understood the ARU will make public within weeks a new agreement that will see Fox Sports maintain live coverage of all Super Rugby matches, and onselling the replay and rights to all Wallabies matches to be simulcast on Ten.

It will mark the first time Super Rugby has had a presence on free-to-air television since the competition’s inception 1996, enabling the code to compete on a more equal footing with the cashed-up NRL and AFL.

Under the new contract, the ARU will reap about $40 million in annual income from a new deal starting in 2016. Presently, the ARU generates about $25m annually from its media rights.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The NRL just signed a 925 million dollar deal with 9 and still have to add pay tv, digital and streaming.
l
4 games live every week over 25 weeks + finals + internationals + origin. Something like 110-115 games on FTA

We have 3 this year.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Just on the new 40 million dollar deal.

Get the bucket ready I feel sick.

The NRL just signed a 925 million dollar deal with 9 and still have to add pay tv, digital and streaming.

That $40 million is to the ARU annually (or say $160 over 4 years), while the $925 is to the NRL in 2018 to 2022. We've got less games to show, but less money is required to be split across the teams etc.

The $40 million doesn't appear to cover any cash from whatever FTA is showing the international games, while the Ch9 money includes everything (internationals + SoO).

We've got a smaller market, but also a smaller set of overheads. Plus, our deal will be half way through by the time Ch 9 even gets paid a dime. So there could be room to move upwards even more in a few years time.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ARU paid in USD? If so, then is the article quoting the USD amount or its converted AUD? Because if it's the unconverted USD amount then it's more along the lines of $52m a year or something along those lines.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That $40 million is to the ARU annually (or say $160 over 4 years), while the $925 is to the NRL in 2018 to 2022. We've got less games to show, but less money is required to be split across the teams etc.

The $40 million doesn't appear to cover any cash from whatever FTA is showing the international games, while the Ch9 money includes everything (internationals + SoO).

We've got a smaller market, but also a smaller set of overheads. Plus, our deal will be half way through by the time Ch 9 even gets paid a dime. So there could be room to move upwards even more in a few years time.

Exactly. While that figure looks impressive it has to be split at least 16 different ways.

I think we'll find that the cash and advertising split would be similar to before. Ratings and crowds outside of Origin haven't been good since the signing of the last deal. It'll actually be interesting to see the value Fox now attached to the deal. They've effectively lost a live game and probably be stuck with the four least appealing of the round.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It might be converted already, but if the AUD continues to depreciate as it has done recently, it might be even better for Aus rugby.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm driving me crazy with so many numbers. The agreement is good or bad for the ARU?

I should buy a Maroons jersey or a Reds jersey? :p

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It also wedges Foxtel, who now face the prospect, although unlikely, of not gaining any NRL content, with emerging players and desperate FTA operators looking to grab content.

The thing is, the FTA operates in Australia are haemorrhaging money. Jobs are going and spending on new shows isn't really happening. There's a reason why Reality TV is taking off on FTA channels, it's cheap to manufacture and produce.

It's quite surprising that Nine would be willing to drop such huge amounts of money on NRL (especially when they, the NRL are trailing new ways of showcasing their product).

I'm going to be interested to see if Netflix and streaming services take off, whether this is actually going to have a further negative impact on the FTA channels. If you look across to the Seppo's, their big sports are making standalone products, MLB Live, NHL, NFL are all selling streaming apps/products which the consume can bypass their FTA or cable suppliers.

As this Nine deal is really down the track and doesn't renew to 2023, technology is going to really outpace how they deliver content to us. It almost seems a tad silly to agree to such a large some of cash so far in advance.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Ignoto

Maybe but they still need to the 925 million Fox + NZ + PNG + Digital + Streaming ....

I think we can also conclude they will expand and my guess is either Perth, second Brisbane or second NZ.

AS you said it may be spilt 16 or 18 ways but the final figure will be over 1.5 billion me thinks and that means 9 and the others have to make RL work.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
AS you said it may be spilt 16 or 18 ways but the final figure will be over 1.5 billion me thinks and that means 9 and the others have to make RL work.

So another $600 million dollars? I think you're over-estimating it there what those extra markets will bring. Outside of Australia, the market for League is tiny. Whereas, it's the complete opposite for Union. Internally, we're tiny, but globally it's huge.

If Nine has the rights to broadcast the games, streaming and simulcasting will directed by them. As it stands, they have the rights to broadcast it and the likes of Fox + overseas ventures will need to pay 9 for accessing the feed. It'll be a token amount given to the NRL from these extra parties.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think you need to look a little closer at the deal. As part of the deal the NRL gain control of scheduling, so the NRL decide what goes to air. In terms of the dollars, 9 was contributing around $400-450 of the $1billion current deal. So it has more than doubled.

In relation to ratings "haven't been good", not sure about that, the NRL and AFL are one of the few programming assets that are holding, hence the need to secure. The timing of the announcement, with simulcast, Pay TV, NZ, other internationals, and online streaming to come point to a number north of $2billion over 5 years. It also wedges Foxtel, who now face the prospect, although unlikely, of not gaining any NRL content, with emerging players and desperate FTA operators looking to grab content.

Most of the smart commentary was pointing to Free to Air contributing $700m of $1.7billion, so this is a massive increase and poses a serious threat in the capability of the NRL to invest heavily into their business.

The fall off in ratings and crowds isn't a dirty little secret. The League media have been highlighting it for some time.

As for the deal. The article noted games from Thursday through Sunday. I'd also like to see if 9 will continue their current split games on Friday. So essentially anywhere up to five games a week for that value. Let's not forget that part of the current deal includes $200 million of free advertising. Don't be shocked if it's a similar figure this time round as well.

Maybe Fox will pay $650 m for anywhere between 3-4 games they can offer exclusive rights to each week. But you also have to take into account they paid an extra $100m for the rights to Monday night football which has been a noted failure. They are also losing the Holden Cup which is being abolished in favour of the state leagues.

As for NZ. You are aware that in the last round they started the season still not having signed a deal I with a domestic broadcaster, right?

I'm not saying they won't get it. But I don't see the value for Fox listings anywhere up to two games a week.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
In terms of the dollars, 9 was contributing around $400-450 of the $1billion current deal. So it has more than doubled.

It's doubled, but so has what they're receiving. 4 live games per week instead of 2. So the value per game from FTA is effectively the same.

No doubt Fox Sports will pay a decent amount on top though - even if they get less exclusive matches than now.

Status
Not open for further replies.