• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

6190b86b7e8ea9fb12d2706577a17ba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Graphic is 100% right.

Between streaming services like Netflix, and 'ahem' semi-illegal methods of acquiring content, young people don't watch a lot of Broadcast Television.

Certainly since the launch of Netflix Aus, my TV watching has dropped to mostly Sport and exclusives like Game of Thrones. Contemporaries without access to pay television utilise the downloads, which I certainly do not use, no siree, I wait 5 weeks for Australian broadcaster to show it in Standard definition with about 2 minutes cut per 30 minute slot, yep that's right.

But yeah. I know a number of people who make use of the season passes for the NFL & NBL. Obviously it's not the same, but some form of that would potentially increase viewership among the younger generation.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The pacific nations cup has been streamed by world rugby. It's been excellent. The technology is there. It's just waiting for the money to catch up

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I know people shit on it, but when they actually cover Rugby, the BeIN service has been good as well.

$17 a month as a streaming service and $20 a month for the streaming and the Foxtel Channel is probably dear for most, especially since it's not a Rugby only service, but it's another step in the right direction.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I had Setanta but they were shit, signed back up with BeIN. Wish Fox would buy more Euro rugby, some games are on at decent times late Sat/early Sunday when only EPL shit is on. They bought Super League so clearly interested in foreign rugby. I know league is more popular but the Aviva shits all over Super League which is dreadful quality.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Their coverage of the 6 Nations and the 2 Euro competitions was excellent, but the Aviva and Pro12 coverage fell flat largely, not helped by the fact they often chose to air Championship and League 1/2 football ahead of it, and for big games, insisted on having pre and post match coverage for non-live games.

Anyway, unless Foxtel suddenly collapses, local rugby won't move to the World of Streaming anytime soon.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Something must be going right with the Shute Shield TV ratings, or sponsor interest or something because the Shute Shield Grand Final next week will be shown live on Channel 7, not 7Two.

You little ripper!!!!!

Maybe Channel 7 will have another go at the rugby rights? I'd really like to see that!

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
So a fraction of what rugby league is getting for every Friday night match?

Jesus that is bad. I'm still depressed by this whole thread.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I find it weird the Melbourne ratings are so much lower than last year. And lower than those in Perth. Seems like a mistake.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Poor ratings for an All Black match just prior to the WC on a FTA station that received lots of media prior to thr match against no RL on FTA and a not so important AFL match.

In fact it’s hard to think of a better time if we consider what else was on.

The Wookie who's chart is above also completed that excellent rating chart for Super Rugby further to those charts he also does the same for the AFL, NRL and A-League.

Using the Wookies chart for the A_league, I compared arguably the biggest match Rugby has against the top four Soccer matches.
http://footyindustry.com/files/ffa/media/tvratings/2015/2015HALRatings.png

Given we are in a contest with Soccer for the number 3 spot behind the NRL and AFL it does not read well.

Remembering Socceroos who were up against the Cricket & Tennis [I think] head to head and the A-League grand final which went head to head with RL, AFL and Super Rugby, with the AFL in particular putting a major game against it.

The Wookie chart in Soccer gives also gives regional figures which his chart above does not.

Australia V All Blacks Metro 467 Regional ??? Fox 222
Australia V S Korea Metro 1, 217 Regional 583 Fox 483
Australia V UAE Metro 819 Regional 215 Fox 362
Australia V China Metro 679 Regional 194 Fox 286
Grand Final
Melbourne Victory V Sydney FC Metro 315 Regional 102 Fox 251

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
From Mediaweek:

@MediaweekAUS: Sat TV #rugby #BledisloeCup #AUSvNZL #Wallabies #TEN 372k (Syd 232k Bri 140k) #ONE 104k (Mel 39k Ade 15k Per 50k)

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #rugby #BledisloeCup #AUSvNZL #Wallabies #FoxSports 222k

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Our game has been going downhill for a long, long time.

We have lost a lot of support. It will be a long hard road to get some of that support back.

Unless the Laws of the Game, and the refereeing interpretations of boreathons like the scrum, change for the better, we are up against it.

Also the rolling maul.

Get serious, Whirled Rugby, Australia is a rugby powerhouse by one criterion, but we are slowly - maybe not so slowly - dying.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think a problem is that no one really cares about the Rugby Championship trophy. That was effectively a RC final last night, but that wasn't the story going into the game because no one cares about it. That's a problem when the competition is so strategically important to Australian rugby.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Our game has been going downhill for a long, long time.

We have lost a lot of support. It will be a long hard road to get some of that support back.

Unless the Laws of the Game, and the refereeing interpretations of boreathons like the scrum, change for the better, we are up against it.

Also the rolling maul.

Get serious, Whirled Rugby, Australia is a rugby powerhouse by one criterion, but we are slowly - maybe not so slowly - dying.

Too many years of NZ domain at Bledisloe drove the casual supporters. Victories like the last, will increase gradually the ratings.

In my personal observation I have seen many casual supporters who haven't seen the game but who have shared the news of the Wallabies victory at the social networks. The casual supporter only wants good news, if we give them bad news they won't consume. Hopefully we win the Bledisloe, I'm not sure about that but this is the way. We have a market to exploit

I think a problem is that no one really cares about the Rugby Championship trophy. That was effectively a RC final last night, but that wasn't the story going into the game because no one cares about it. That's a problem when the competition is so strategically important to Australian rugby.

People want the Bledisloe, even the players haven't celebrated much, know they are in the middle of the river.

After the last Spring Tour this is like touch the heaven with the hands for me but that's the thinking of people.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Sigh. Our game has become far too insular. We pissed all of the finds and goodwill from 1998-2003 up against a wall, instead of growing the game in places like Parramatta, Penrith, Logan, and Albany Creek. Our rugby nurseries are limited to a handful of GPS schools - hell, Grammar and High don't even play firsts anymore. TV ratings are a symptom of a far greater problem.

I don't even think our product is that bad compared to loig - sure we have stoppages from breakdown and scrum, but they're miles better than watching a guy make intimate gestures with the ground for five tackles. League has plenty of issues, including the video ref, holding and wrestling, a handful of high profile morons that put our 'three amigos' to shame, and a predictable pattern of hit ups and kicking. The difference is that league markets itself properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.