• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Imagine if they make the quarters what it will do for a). RWC2019 and Super 18....

With out doing any sums... its basically reliant on the Scots beating the Boks - which is definitely possible and Japan beating Samoa and USA...

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
3.01 million for NZ v Namibia on ITV

An average audience of a little over 3 million viewers tuned in for the entire event, resulting in a 16% share for ITV, with the game peaking at 3.7 million viewers half an hour after kick off.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Those international viewers are something the AFL would love and I think crave

ANY sport would like those ratings - the AFL simply doesnt care about spreading the sport internationally, it commits almost no funding to it - all of its funding overseas is aimed at bringing the athletes here - not forging competition over there.

The AFL also has had 150 years to put some effort into it and it cant really be bothered.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
ANY sport would like those ratings - the AFL simply doesnt care about spreading the sport internationally, it commits almost no funding to it - all of its funding overseas is aimed at bringing the athletes here - not forging competition over there.

The AFL also has had 150 years to put some effort into it and it cant really be bothered.

The AFL has only been around since 1990.

The VFL was the centre of the universe for the game for many years. The code decided to go national during the eighties, which was a radical and far-sighted move at the time.

Australian Rules football can only be played on large ovals. That limits the potential for international growth. Another factor is the chicken and egg dilemma. How would you get kids in another country to start playing a new code that does not exist? If kids don't play, how can there be a professional competition?

The Israel Folau fiasco shows how hard it can be for even a gifted athlete to pick up the skills. Not to say that it cannot be done, Jim Stynes came from Ireland, Mike Pyke from Canadian Rugby. But they were highly motivated and prepared to make big sacrifices.

The reason that they are not interested is because they are sensible enough to understand their strengths and weaknesses as a code. Domestically they are strong and resilient. Internationally they are a curiosity.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wookie

Not questioning your knowledge nor your facts however I have read a number of times recently many AFL folk have wanted a more international game.

T

TOCC

Wookie

Not questioning your knowledge nor your facts however I have read a number of times recently many AFL folk have wanted a more international game.

Theres a difference between wanting something and actually putting their money where their mouth is.

AFL had its moments of trying to expand the game internationally but it seems to be rather fleeting interest, It occurred in South Africa around 2007-2008 where they sent a number AFL teams overto put on demonstration matches and training camps, but its been a few years since any more AFL teams have toured.

Then AFL tried the move to China, spent $1.5million building a new oval in Tianjin, and again after initial fanfare the AFL lost interest. This is the Oval today:

068021-e4154734-1d0f-11e4-8adb-938012f29f27.jpg

Any thought of international expansion for the AFL has been put on the back burner as they focus on the new expansion teams within Australia, which is chewing up a significant amount of resources and funding.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Imagine if they make the quarters what it will do for a). RWC2019 and Super 18..

With out doing any sums. its basically reliant on the Scots beating the Boks - which is definitely possible and Japan beating Samoa and USA.

Love to see Japanese rugby do well as in simple terms having them successful in super rugby will attract more money given financial strength of Japanese rugby and viewer potential

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wookie

Who are these "many"? Decision makers? Advertising men? Bullshit artists?

You cannot buy an international presence, a new game can only develop from the grass roots up.

No grass roots, no game, the people in the AFL who make the decisions are smart enough to know that.

A couple of mill here or there buys a bit of publicity, but it does not buy an international game. You need an Empire to do that. The British Empire. And they did not play AFL, for some strange reason.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
The AFL has only been around since 1990.

The AFL as it is, was a simple name change of an existing competition that has been run since 1897. Make no mistake, its in the leagues official history. There is no difference between the competitions other than the number and location of teams.

The VFL was the centre of the universe for the game for many years. The code decided to go national during the eighties, which was a radical and far-sighted move at the time.

The code did no such thing. it was already national by the time the Australasian football council was formed in 1908 - and included New Zealand. It was the VFL - a league within the code - that voted in 1985 to pursue a policy of expansion.

Australian Rules football can only be played on large ovals.

Full size yes, there are versions of the game being played all over the world on whatever fields they can get, including playing across two rugby or soccer fields, or just mapping out a ground on a park.

That limits the potential for international growth. Another factor is the chicken and egg dilemma. How would you get kids in another country to start playing a new code that does not exist? If kids don't play, how can there be a professional competition?

The AFL does not want professional competition outside Australia. Not now and not ever. It very deliberatley limits its very limited funding to development and carnival co-ordination, with combines and such to bring the talent to Australia.

The Israel Folau fiasco shows how hard it can be for even a gifted athlete to pick up the skills. Not to say that it cannot be done, Jim Stynes came from Ireland, Mike Pyke from Canadian Rugby. But they were highly motivated and prepared to make big sacrifices.

Absolutely.

The reason that they are not interested is because they are sensible enough to understand their strengths and weaknesses as a code. Domestically they are strong and resilient. Internationally they are a curiosity.

Internationally they've never even tried, and yet there are thousands of players out there, and 18 countries turned up to the international cup last year. I think they are ok.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Wookie

Theres zealots in every code of sport. Would it be nice to be able to get people to shut up about the international side of things? maybe. Personally I can live without the hassles other codes have with players deserting to go overseas. Its slightly protectionist, but if the US went for a full pro comp one day, the potentional for them to fly past the AFL in time would be there.

I think the AFL could boost its international profile if it wanted to by turning its international cup into something like the last Rugby league world cup, by extending the country eligibility rules to include ancestry.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Against Uruguay, they are good numbers.
Will be interesting to see how the England game goes.

Uraguay was just about on at peak hour on a Sunday, it could pretty easily be the highest rating game on FTA for the whole tournament.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I think the further we go the ratings will surprise many I can see them going up especially when the NRL grand final is over and cricket has not started 9 have no other sport and I assume will promote the WC .

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am surprised Wales England was so low! Admittedly I didn't hear anyone else in my neighbourhood screaming when Wales scored the equaliser. Considering that would have to be close to the most anticipated game of the Tournament. Although 5am on a Sunday is only attracting tragics - and Tom Jones fans like my Mum.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I think the AFL could boost its international profile if it wanted to by turning its international cup into something like the last Rugby league world cup, by extending the country eligibility rules to include ancestry.

Wookie, Wookie, Wookie......

This post is garbage and you know it, if the AFL could have made money out of a world cup they would have done so already.

I mean really couldnt they just compete in the recently held gaelic football world cup? considering the international credibility the game holds there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wookie, Wookie, Wookie..

This post is garbage and you know it, if the AFL could have made money out of a world cup they would have done so already.

I mean really couldnt they just compete in the recently held gaelic football world cup? considering the international credibility the game holds there.

The last thing the AFL needs is to make money - they are rolling in it right now.

The only reason that they ever do anything internationally is out of boredom - or to give their army of in-house media people something a bit different to write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.