• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
FTA 556
Fox 318

Total 874

The FTA breakdown broken down to cities
Syd 229k
Mel 109k
Bri 154k
Ade 22k
Per 42k

Given the build up heaps pf press, the lack of competition from the NRL and AFL on the night, the Syd & Bri figures are disappointing, the southern states are good. Fox is good as well.

Those Syd & Bri ratings are a real concern these are our heartlands.

T

TOCC

Half, by what measure are those figures disappointing?
Are you using previous years as a comparison or other codes TV ratings?

I say this, because at first glance the ratings from the second test are the highest June international TV ratings for a number of years and even eclipsed some recent Bledisloe Cup matches.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The first couple of England games got more publicity than usual.

Two stadia virtually sold out. I thought we might crack the mill.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Tocc

Its been a long time since we had a game with so much pre test media.

Further so much banter between the overseas coach i.e. Jones played the media game very well.

It was England and yes I know we are talking Rugby. But it was England they went up by one. The first test was generally reported as a great game.

Sydney and Brisbane are our heartland states. Yet we struggled for a block buster rating.

I hear what you say better than many recent, and good for June. But it was a SOO week and only half the NRL match.

My disappointment is, coming off the WC, in a match with lots of positive press, lots of banter and talk from and about Eddie and we we are up a little. Most of the up was from the southern states.

Maybe my expectations are to high

Maybe I am overly critical of Rugby's direction .

Maybe I am to old.

I read somewhere this year I think or late last year an article I think on the Roar were the writer put forward the notion that Rugby was becoming irreverent to those outside Rugby and I guess I did not want to believe it or accept it. I still don't accept the notion that Rugby is irreverent to those outside Rugby.

But with everything screaming come watch, i.e little competition, a competitive match, heaps of positive media and banter, a night for staying in i.e. the weather. Yer I was expecting more and I am disappointed because that Roar article maybe right and I don't want it to be right.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
TOCC

Agree with your comments and one of the best ratings in the last 10 years.

Maybe its me, I have never followed things like rating etc until a couple of years ago. Also I have a little more time today. I have been looking at the wookie pages across the codes and its not a great sight, AFL and NRL scream off those pages.

A side story which may explain in part at least my frustration. Last year a client of mine on the Central Coast, insisted on taking me to see the Mariners play two games against WSW and SFC. What I saw and heard at those matches made me sit back and go we meaning Rugby are doing nothing approaching what Soccer do to grow and develop their game. Then I see Netball and the W-League and now an AFL womens team all on FTA TV.

On another thread I at some length said what I would do, most disagreed. So maybe its the same I am disappointed in the Sydney and Brisbane ratings I had hoped for a block buster result.

However I fully acknowledge it was good if compared to the last 10 years and for that I am thankful.

T

TOCC

Sat TV Wallabies v England #AUSvENG Third Test TEN 485k (Syd 210k Mel 55k Bri 138k Ade 18k Per 64k)

Sat STV Wallabies v England #AUSvENG #FoxSports 224k

Wallabies v Englnd Total: 709k

Sat STV All Blacks v Wales #NZLvWAL #FoxSports 140k

Sat TV #rugby #ShuteShield Northern Suburbs v Eastern Suburbs 7TWO Syd 31k

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Do you have the numbers for Sharks v Warriors that clashed with AB v Wales and/ or 'dogs v Broncs that clashed with Aus v Poms? I'm gonna assume all four got murdered by the numbers for whatever AFL match(es) were also on at the time..........

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^^^^ Do you have the numbers for Sharks v Warriors that clashed with AB v Wales and/ or 'dogs v Broncs that clashed with Aus v Poms? I'm gonna assume all four got murdered by the numbers for whatever AFL match(es) were also on at the time....
Sat night AFL on FTA 512k + Fox 242k = 754k total

Sat night NRL in Fox
bulldogs v broncos - 270k
Sharks v warriors - 261k
Knights v dragons - 197k

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Third Test
Syd 210k
Mel 55k
Bri 138k
Ade 18k
Per 64k

Tot 485k
Fox 224k

Tot 709k

Second Test

Syd 229k
Mel 109k
Bri 154k
Ade 22k
Per 42k
Tot 556k

Fox 318k

Tot 874K

We must have a lot of watch if winning people. Only Perth increased.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Foxtel subscribers are spoiled for choice. I wonder how many swap channels and take in a bit of two or three different games?

The ratings cannot show that sort of behaviour.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Foxtel subscribers are spoiled for choice. I wonder how many swap channels and take in a bit of two or three different games?

The ratings cannot show that sort of behaviour.

Genuine question as I don't know.

How long on Fox and FTA do you have to watch before you are counted in the ratings?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Genuine question as I don't know.

How long on Fox and FTA do you have to watch before you are counted in the ratings?
They record minute-by-minute.

The ratings which are published here are the average for the broadcast but you'll also see peak viewers occasionally.

How they do it has changed over the years which is why comparing back in time is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.