• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Interesting isn't it. One side becomes very dominant over a long period and ratings start to fall even for 'iconic' events. There are other SOO factors, but that's clearly one.

Our relative and consistent decline vs the ABs and, for every-day vs rusted-on rugby fans, the rationally lowered expectations of winning, will surely hurt the ARU's bottom line.

In fact, the hard truth is that the ARU's immediate financial viability was saved solely by two TV/media related factors that had little to do with Australian rugby per se but arise from some particular UK- and cable TV-driven factors:

- the popularity and ongoing commercial success of rugby in the UK

- the fact that live sport in most big global media markets is becoming the only place where pay TV operators can defend and sustain market share vs streaming services etc and thus a big reason why the UK's SKY TV was willing to bid such an unexpectedly large amt for Super Rugby rights

half

Alan Cameron (40)
So if I am reading this correctly the ARU were:

YEAR $Million
2008 +1
2009 +14
2010 -21
2011 +3
2012 +28
2013 +98 : to this point total +$123 million on the FFA. Coincidentally the year O'Neill left and Pulver appointed and revealed game nearly broke.

The sponsorship figure is included in the ARU revenue.
Line for line it looks like this.

Year ==== ARU Rev ==== FFA Rev ==== Diff == ARU or FFA
2008 ==== 76 mil ===== 98 mil ====== 22 mil === FFA
2009 ==== 71 mil ===== 85 mil ====== 14 mil === FFA
2010 ==== 68 mil ===== 112 mil ===== 44 mil === FFA
2011 ==== 72 mil ===== 20 mil ====== 20 mil === FFA
2012 ==== 97 mil ===== 96 mil ====== 1 mil ==== ARU
2013 ==== 144 mil ==== 76 mil ====== 75 mil ==== ARU
2014 ==== 78 mil ===== 128 mil ===== 40 mil ==== FFA
2015 ==== 85 mil ===== 163 mil ===== 78 mil ==== FFA

In 6 of the 8 years FFA had a higher revenue and for 2 years the ARU had the higher revenue. In both codes the big years are WC years and with soccer its Asian Cup years as well. FFA revenue has been 142 million higher.

Remember the A-League only started in 2005 / 06. Meaning when we measure from 2008 the A-League / FFA are only 2 to 3 years old.

What this highlights to me over the past 8 years the ARU management has gone backwards in revenue if you consider purchasing power and adjust for CPI. Whereas soccer has grown. The big disappointment for me is the lack of sponsorship growth 21 to 23 million over 8 years.

Also Gallop is within a few months or less of soccer's next media deal, and FFA have their WCQ matches coming up. FFA is determined even at the cost of a considerable amount of revenue to position soccer and the A-League on a commercial FTA channel.

Its just we continually seem to be out managed by every other code and we simply don't react. Maybe I am being to hard, but with the new netball contract, the new AFL womens league, and if FFA sign on a FTA broadcaster rugby is going to struggle big time hidden away on Fox and stuck with SANDZZAR calender's and if as some have reported in other threads our media deal can be adjusted because of falling ratings.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Has not been the case for a long time. At ANY level. For example:

2014 Waratahs get 38k to Brumbies semifinal
2014 Waratahs get 62k to home final and win the fucking thing in dramatic circumstances.

Attendance at 2015 first home game on a Sunday afternoon for defending champions: 18k.

o_O

Was not true in the case of the 'Reds golden 2010-12 period' though.

After the 2011 Super Rugby win and big regular crowds at Suncorp, the 2012 follow-through Reds' home crowds were, by and large, sustained through much of 2012. 2012's first Reds' home game crowd was 33,600. Second home game was 34,100.

I just wanted to restore your well-recognised faith in Queenslanders.

It's when the Reds lost their previous 'style', started to lose home games more regularly, Cooper regularly injured, the RG era started, Link lost focus, etc that the Reds' crowds began their consistent decline to levels where now (late 2016 season games) they are worse than almost any low point since they started playing at Suncorp.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rugby can be the same, if we make it that way. So the question is why don't we? Are we waiting for someone else to do it?

What is stopping us re-writing the rules to a more simplified
format without losing the essence of the game and showing the rugby world how its done? We could even market it to earn some revenue.

Why cant we "nationalise" the game and develop a string domestic foot print?

The answer to both about is our choice. Other codes are doing it. What are we doing except saying we can't?
We are a member of World Rugby and can't change the laws and still be covered under their umbrella without their OK?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
We are a member of World Rugby and can't change the laws and still be covered under their umbrella without their OK?

We tinker with the NRC at will don't we? I an sure there are ways to mange around it. I am aware SA rugby has tries 2x refs and all sorts of other variation's, so there must be ways and at the end of the day, its really only rules clarification and reinterpretation of the laws which they do week to week in the Super Rugby competition except on a wholesale level.

The other interesting thing to consider about the laws and the impact on ratings (watchablity) is the laws trend to be a convenient excuse to use.

I watched the AB V Pumas game on the edge of my seat for 50mins as it was fantastic.

I watched the Wallabies V Boks and poked pens in my eyes!

Same laws - totally different in the entertainment stakes!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We tinker with the NRC at will don't we? I an sure there are ways to mange around it. I am aware SA rugby has tries 2x refs and all sorts of other variation's, so there must be ways and at the end of the day, its really only rules clarification and reinterpretation of the laws which they do week to week in the Super Rugby competition except on a wholesale level.
All law changes, even with the NRC, have to be approved by World Rugby

They are probably going to let us change things up to a point but there's a limit to what they will entertain.

And if the changes don't apply to Super Rugby and internationals will "anyone" even notice?

Edit - but yeah - agree with the latter point

Reactions: mst

GPSM

Bob McCowan (2)

The reality is that SOO game 1 was the highest rating NRL game of all time, anything below that in game 2, was going to be a decline. It takes a record to break a record. http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/122cebff2c9bc8d6467f02db7dc379b6

The focus for the ARU and us as fans is the steady decline in crowds, TV and interest. I don't think a marginal decline in an event like SOO, which despite this will still be one of the most viewed events in the nation for the year, provides any comfort to the ARU.

If you look at NRL's overall TV audiences for the year, despite a decline in FTA, their FOX numbers have grown dramatically (due to simulcast) and I'm told sees the overall NRL cumulatively gaining 4million total audience across the year to date.

The NRL has issues, no doubt, take out their diabolical Sydney's crowd and there was 28K in Canberra, 22K in Melbourne, 45K in Brisbane. Compare that to the Brumbies semi final... I always thought the Brumbies was the biggest ticket in Canberra town.

The game is broken and as we compete for the hearts and minds we have less and less to compete. The FFA's revenue is set to increase with their next broadcast deal, sure their viewership numbers aren't great, but their timing is perfect with the emergence of broadcast options. I'm with Wamberal and Strewthcobber with their views.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The reality is that SOO game 1 was the highest rating NRL game of all time, anything below that in game 2, was going to be a decline. It takes a record to break a record. http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/122cebff2c9bc8d6467f02db7dc379b6

The focus for the ARU and us as fans is the steady decline in crowds, TV and interest. I don't think a marginal decline in an event like SOO, which despite this will still be one of the most viewed events in the nation for the year, provides any comfort to the ARU.

If you look at NRL's overall TV audiences for the year, despite a decline in FTA, their FOX numbers have grown dramatically (due to simulcast) and I'm told sees the overall NRL cumulatively gaining 4million total audience across the year to date.

The NRL has issues, no doubt, take out their diabolical Sydney's crowd and there was 28K in Canberra, 22K in Melbourne, 45K in Brisbane. Compare that to the Brumbies semi final. I always thought the Brumbies was the biggest ticket in Canberra town.

The game is broken and as we compete for the hearts and minds we have less and less to compete. The FFA's revenue is set to increase with their next broadcast deal, sure their viewership numbers aren't great, but their timing is perfect with the emergence of broadcast options. I'm with Wamberal and Strewthcobber with their views.

I'm not disputing that SOO isn't a huge event on the Australian sporting calendar nor did I say the decline was steep. But the total numbers (one game doesn't make a series) are down.

Teams in the finals drawing crowds is hardly surprising and I'd like to see the numbers in regard to the fall in FTA and the rise in PayTV figures.

I'm not using these as a means to gloss over our issues. There is a great deal of work to do to stem the flow. Truth be told our games biggest weakness is the lack of exposure it gets outside of the Wallabies. Australians love winners when it comes to our national teams and in recent times our record has been patchy at best.

GPSM

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not disputing that SOO isn't a huge event on the Australian sporting calendar nor did I say the decline was steep. But the total numbers (one game doesn't make a series) are down.

Teams in the finals drawing crowds is hardly surprising and I'd like to see the numbers in regard to the fall in FTA and the rise in PayTV figures.

I'm not using these as a means to gloss over our issues. There is a great deal of work to do to stem the flow. Truth be told our games biggest weakness is the lack of exposure it gets outside of the Wallabies. Australians love winners when it comes to our national teams and in recent times our record has been patchy at best.

Agreed WCR.

The ultimate answer for the ARU, is not short term and lies in a restructured model with characteristics of FFA, NRL and AFL. I tend to think it involves a strategy around recapturing rugby audiences and capturing casual audiences of our competitors as a secondary fans.

I believe that the decline will continue and become more severe, as the financial model of the ARU and its franchises is broken. One year into a new broadcast deal and the franchises both here and in NZ are forecasting operating losses throughout the term of the broadcast term.

Over the medium term, my fear for the ARU and to a lesser extent NRL is that with the changing nature of media consumption, I hear more talk of NFL players like Odelle Beckham Jnr at my son's rugby training than I do Wallabies. My 11 year old can name more NFL quarterbacks than Wallabies, most of his mates are in NFL tipping competitions and all have the NFL app. They record the 3-4 games on 7Mate and over the holidays are glued to the games. Sure he's never going to play the game, but their awareness of players names etc is similar to that of the top soccer players.

Much to think about.

GPSM

Bob McCowan (2)

Cheers Strewth, that was the article I was looking for...

NRL's FTA declined by 5million
NRL's FOX increased by 19million
Cumulative increase of 14million regular season. 15% increase on 2015.

FOX are anticipating significant growth with the launch of the dedicated NRL station in 2017. There's the competition and I would suggest a significant component of the leakage of Super Rugby numbers.

It's easy for fans and rugby commentators to downplay the NRL and the game itself, but why is this happening? It's not just FTA. The game itself needs to address where their future lies in the Australian sport landscape. If it's as part of a wider international sport, then two of the world's best teams playing has to be more attractive to the public than the crowd and TV audiences produced over the weekend. The root of the problem is Super Rugby and the disconnect with the viewing public.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^ i think we need to start competing on the right landscape. Super Rugby only partially aligns with the ARL or even AFL. Rugby desperately needs a good domestic competition like a NRC on a grander scale with a longer season.

Rugby has a fantastic advantage that if it can deliver on 2 platforms against the single NRL or AFL platform simultaneously. If we had a good domestic comp, and then Super Rugby which provided an almost international comp its a hard product to beat.

WOW that puts the FTA argument in to a different prospective!!:eek::confused:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^^^^ i think we need to start competing on the right landscape. Super Rugby only partially aligns with the ARL or even AFL. Rugby desperately needs a good domestic competition like a NRC on a grander scale with a longer season.

Rugby has a fantastic advantage that if it can deliver on 2 platforms against the single NRL or AFL platform simultaneously. If we had a good domestic comp, and then Super Rugby which provided an almost international comp its a hard product to beat.

WOW that puts the FTA argument in to a different prospective!!:eek::confused:

I agree that we a strong domestic product in the form of the NRC. What we also need is some clear (well, relative to our current slot) air for it to be seen. Honestly the quality of the NRC is too good for it to be swamped by NRL and AFL finals.

Unlike you I actually see its relatively short sprint like season as a strength. It's relatively compact.

I think the ARU really needs to review the window in which the NRC is run. Which is a doubled edged sword. Moving back to after the NRL GF could benefit its visibility but it then removes the opportunity for game time fringe Wallabies. Still, after listening to Peter Playford on the podcast I really think developing the NRC's overall value as a product in its own right may be worthwhile.

I know many will note that moving it will eat into Super Rugby pre-season but being honest. Would that be so bad? What would prepare players better. Running hills or playing Rugby?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Our resident Kiwis tuned out, probably. Too busy celebrating.
There's something in that......

:eek:

@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #Rugby #FoxSports #RugbyChampionship #NZLvRSA 145k
#AUSvARG 134k

Combined 320k ish is almost certainly the lowest ever for a domestic test match

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strewth

Does that mean we got 181 K on ten and 134 k on Fox. That's 315 K and a 16 K crowd. All in prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.