• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Strewth

Does that mean we got 181 K on ten and 134 k on Fox. That's 315 K and a 16 K crowd. All in prime time.
Yep that's right.

Approx 1.3m for the AFL and just under 1m for NRL. All excluding regionals which will add on a couple of hundred k.

Thewookie may be able to conform but I think that's probably the lowest Fox rating for a domestic test and slightly better than the worst FTA Argie Gold Coast.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Yep that's right.

Approx 1.3m for the AFL and just under 1m for NRL. All excluding regionals which will add on a couple of hundred k.

Thewookie may be able to conform but I think that's probably the lowest Fox rating for a domestic test and slightly better than the worst FTA Argie Gold Coast.

ARU_DomesticFox.png

ARU_MetroArg.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The timing of the Wallabies test was terrible in terms of the competition.

Swans hosting a finals game at the same time and an NRL final between a Sydney and Canberra team certainly limits the casual viewers who are going to watch it live.

I even watched it on replay as I was at the Swans game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The timing of the Wallabies test was terrible in terms of the competition.

Swans hosting a finals game at the same time and an NRL final between a Sydney and Canberra team certainly limits the casual viewers who are going to watch it live.

I even watched it on replay as I was at the Swans game.
I wonder if the SANZAR could look at Sunday arvo games for the September home games in Australia.

The issue is always the relatively poor TV ratings - but we are already plumbing the depths with these Saturday night games clashing with finals

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would guess that the broadcasters would have a big say in the scheduling.

Could be wrong. It would be good from the spectator viewpoint. Apart from anything else, the error rates are lower in daylight games.

The Twickenham game is at night. Sad. I have not been to Twickers for a long time, but have never been to a game other than during the day. Wonderful atmosphere, lots of good bars.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
“We enjoyed a global audience of just over 50 million viewers for the 20th edition of Super Rugby with just over 2 million fans attending the matches. I would like to say a big thank you to all the fans and supporters for their support through 2016 and look forward to having our competition entertain and entice you through 2017,” added Marinos.
http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/2017-super-rugby-schedule-announced1/
I reckon Australia contributed about 5 million viewers. 10% of the market for 30% of the revenue is a pretty good deal.
You'd imagine a large portion of that 50 mill is close to the GMT timezone and shows why SANZAAR ties themselves into such knots ensuring all countries play in South Africa and hence justify an even split of the revenue

Reactions: mst

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
First up really interesting stats. Acknowledging it was up against AFL and NRL finals but these ratings are worse than I feared. Am I the only person fearing for the future of the game we love?

Scheduling changes are a must. Versus ABs games should kick off at 7.00pm. (Kid friendly) Arggie and SAF games should be Sat or Sund Arvos. It's worth a try as ratings are telling us that outside the true believers rugbys appeal is zero.

Also every Super player not in the starting Wallaby 23 should be playing NRC as a condition of their contract. Boost crowds, boost media, boost momentum.

GPSM

Bob McCowan (2)
Mate, if the ARU are not at panic stations, they bloody well should be.

You're right, but it's not just the ARU that should be worried. There is no one addressing the core problem, at the moment the answer is continually to say we need to expand, we need more countries... All the while Super Rugby loses market share in existing markets. At what stage do they say stop, we're not expanding until we get existing markets right? At the moment it's artificial growth, I was shocked when I read that the cumulative global tv audience for Super Rugby is around 50million per annum, over 142 games that is an average of 350,000 per game... I thought it would be significantly higher than that, particularly given that much of the growth in TV rights was on the back of the UK market.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sadly administrators from the ARU down have their head in the sand when it comes to trying to arrest the decline.

In Sydney Junior rugby numbers are in free fall with the particular problem being from U10's and up. The SJRU persists with a Sydney wide comp which requires long travel in weekend gridlock as parents struggle from Oatley to Newport or Manly to the Blue mountains for little Jimmys U10 game. A return to local comps for local teams is the only way forward.

Subbies rugby is dying a slow death with clubs folding, overall player numbers collapsing and an administration hell bent on destroying clubs that show any sign of weakness.

My daughter recently played in a 7 a side school gala day. The catchment area was Northern Sydney and they had 7 schools participate. Talking to one of the teachers he said 5 years ago there was 30 schools and games as far as the eye could see.

Who is responsible for growing the game and how do they still have a job? Here is a tip…..every Wallaby on return from the Spring tour needs to visits 30 schools each before Christmas.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sadly administrators from the ARU down have their head in the sand when it comes to trying to arrest the decline.

In Sydney Junior rugby numbers are in free fall with the particular problem being from U10's and up. The SJRU persists with a Sydney wide comp which requires long travel in weekend gridlock as parents struggle from Oatley to Newport or Manly to the Blue mountains for little Jimmys U10 game. A return to local comps for local teams is the only way forward.

Subbies rugby is dying a slow death with clubs folding, overall player numbers collapsing and an administration hell bent on destroying clubs that show any sign of weakness.

My daughter recently played in a 7 a side school gala day. The catchment area was Northern Sydney and they had 7 schools participate. Talking to one of the teachers he said 5 years ago there was 30 schools and games as far as the eye could see.

Who is responsible for growing the game and how do they still have a job? Here is a tip…..every Wallaby on return from the Spring tour needs to visits 30 schools each before Christmas.

I've often thought that part of their role as professional players should be to undergo the necessary qualifications to become DO's. Split them into pairs and then designate each pair 10 school that they are to visit throughout the year.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^^^

Heavyd

Agree with everything you posted.

The issues I believe are reasonably well known, essentially our structures from local park, to local districts to the State Unions tho to the ARU are poorly structured when compared to most other Australian sports.

We seem not to be able to find a way to escape SANDZZAR and the timetables and structure of SANDZZAR is slowly killing us.

Its no one's fault and its everyone's fault. We IMO have lacked effective leadership since the 60's with some worst than others.

I copped some flack over this a few months back, but let me again use this example of our leadership woes and IMO largely why we are where we are.

Flower and Pulver inside i think 8 months developed the ARC & NRC, from head office, both have had huge issues with other stake holders especially the some Shute teams.

FFA developed the FFA Cup, a knock out competition with today close to 800 teams and a National Premier League [equivalent in many ways to the NRC] with 100 teams and created 100 training academies.
FFA spent between two CEO in Ben Buckley and David Gallop four and a half years in frequent discussion between all parties to see if they could get everyone on board in agreement and supporting it. Including the A-League sides.

After four and a half years of discussions. comprise by FFA and others, an agreement was finally reached and has the full support of everyone.

It took just under four years longer, but rather than rush what was seen as critically important Lowy instructions to his CEO's was get everybody on board with something everyone can work with. Consider if Flower and then Pulver spend say 3 years developing the NRC and got everyone on board how much better it would be.

There's so much more about our planning and marketing over the years.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
These TV ratings may have been posted already but thought they were interesting.
2016 Shute shield GF - 40,000
2016 average ratings 25,706
2015 average ratings 23,000

Coming off a low base but a 10% uplift has to be a good thing? The ratings should be so much higher than this and if so could provide a crucial income source.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Crashy, 10% increase on a tiny audience still leaves us with a tiny audience.

If we managed a 10% cumulative increase for 10 years we would have an audience of 65,000. Still tiny in meaningful terms.

Reactions: mst

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Meanwhile, GWS v Western Bulldogs last night set the highest foxtel afl rating ever. 534k

Total of about 2.2m with Fox, FTA and regionals with 162k on FTA in Sydney

NRL did 1.6m total and Man U v Leicester 200k

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Meanwhile, GWS v Western Bulldogs last night set the highest foxtel afl rating ever. 534k

Total of about 2.2m with Fox, FTA and regionals with 162k on FTA in Sydney

NRL did 1.6m total and Man U v Leicester 200k

IMHO the common denominator with the above is their all domestic (local) teams (in their respective environments). people can identify and subscribe to "local" teams as People can emotionally invest in the team (feel passion, pride, association,identify with them and they become a social interaction vehicle and distraction).

Super Rugby is in one step removed as it has an international component. I would say its one step too high to be considered in the domestic realm.

Leicester ignites peoples imaginations and attracts interest as people are again invested in the fact that is not the "big names" in the team but the "common" players who they can relate to and want to root for the underdog.

All of the above are the springboard for international competitions.

Rugby has no real domestic product to offer. The NRC is a quick flash in the pan (to short) with teams that are unidentifiable and people cant or wont subscribe to. The ARU insist on using the "big names"to market the NRC but Leicester shows that the opposite can be more effective.

Things like the Shute would be a fantastic base product to build a national domestic product but its to self obsessed to want to do anything except for themselves and a niche audience. If they did change tact it mat also be the lifeline Shute and rugby need going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.