• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rumour: Deans could be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

randalf8

Why is he getting a longer leash than all the other coaches of the pro era bar McQueen?

We could promote the Epping Rams U12 coach to run the wallabies and reasonably expect that he could get the team to split games against SA, beat the Northerners on our home turf and take 3 from 17 against the darkness. Hell, I reckon the players could have won 60% of our tests since 2008 without a coach at all.

The extension given him before the RWC was madness. What exactly was the ARU worried about? That we'd win the RWC and Deans would get a better offer from Toulon? Just how many higher paying rugby coach jobs are out there?

R

randalf8

We had a win, we still have a few tests to go this year. I have not given up hope that the whole thing gets fixed yet. I heard Deans on Triple M this morning. He came across really well; articulate, knowledgable, humorous and humble - like he did when the Welsh were here. I wondered to myself that their seemed to be 2 Deans's, this fellow and the other confused one. For whatever reason, I really don't think we have seen the best of what he can do.

Is this an honest statement? Or would the word "hope" have been a worthy inclusion?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Who is coaching the Epping U12s these days?

I think you might be right on the "best is yet to come" argument though - presumably Robbie didn't want the Argentinians to have a chance to prepare for our dynamite set-piece backline moves, and so kept them under wraps throughout the games against Wales, Scotland, NZ and SA. They'll now be put back up his sleeve until RWC 2015 - maybe.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What will be Dingo's legacy to Aust Rugby when he goes?

He has singlehandedly given us sufficient material and practice that when/if Bruce Ross ever ceases posting on G&GR, there are now plenty of journeymen sufficiently motivated and practiced to take up and continue Bruce's good work.

It may take time for those said journeymen to rise to the level of the Grandmaster, but Dingo has been good for depth in G&GR. - His legacy.

R

randalf8

Who is coaching the Epping U12s these days?

I think you might be right on the "best is yet to come" argument though - presumably Robbie didn't want the Argentinians to have a chance to prepare for our dynamite set-piece backline moves, and so kept them under wraps throughout the games against Wales, Scotland, NZ and SA. They'll now be put back up his sleeve until RWC 2015 - maybe.

if he has the median IQ and a warm body, it doesn't matter.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont understand why people automatically assume Nuci would take charge if deans was moved on.

Firstly, I think that totality tony would be a far more likely caretaker coach given that he is already working with the team.

Secondly, if they had fired deans a few weeks ago than they would have brought in a care taker, but if he goes after the brisbane game, I reckon a new coach will be appointed before the spring tour.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bowside, I expected more from you.

Trying to weasel your way through using logic?

Get your head together!

This is JON and the ARU board we are talking about.

Pick the most outlandish, rediculous scenario you can imagine and use that as your starting point.

As you were :rolleyes:

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Is this an honest statement? Or would the word "hope" have been a worthy inclusion?

It just shits me when I hear Deans sound confused when I have heard him speak quite logically, passionately and humbly. He is obviously an intelligent guy that we have just not seen the best of.

R

randalf8

It just shits me when I hear Deans sound confused when I have heard him speak quite logically, passionately and humbly. He is obviously an intelligent guy that we have just not seen the best of.

How is this an obvious conclusion? It's possible to be articulate but not up to the job of coaching our national team.

I think we have seen his best. This is the back end of year 5. He's out of his depth here.

I could accept that he falls short of his own standard for a game, a bunch of games or even an entire season, but it's been 5 friggen years.

The occam's razor answer here is that he just isn't up to it, IMO.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes, you would think that after five years we'd have seen the peak of his coaching powers. That's more than enough time for any head coach to mould their squad and strategy. It's the first time in my living memory that the quality of our attack has gone backwards. It's not like we don't have players who are talented enough to beat defences, maybe it's been coached out of them.

On the flip side, I think the quality of our forward player is better than before Deans joined (especially this year) and the defence has been pretty solid (though I haven't seen the stats to back that up).

W

Waylon

When we belted France in Paris with the most dazzling of backline play, I thought we had turned a corner. When we won the Trinations with a dominant forward play and some inspiring attacking rugby, I thought the gap had closed and the tide was turning. I was still believing.

The RWC effort displayed the most boring, one dimensional negative rugby I can remember from a wallaby team. I was devastated. It wasn't getting beaten, it was the game plans and negativity that the players were coached to that left me distraught

2012 has been good considering the crippling injury toll however we seem to have regressed rather than progressed with a multi phase aggressive attacking game. The performances before the injury toll were very very dull.

I'm open to a change. The results do not stack up

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
With you on that Waylon. I too thought we were on the rise before RWC 2011 and then we totally changed our game plan. It was one-out, truck it up league style with a shit load of kicking. Why on Earth did the tactics change so much when we clearly were playing a brand of footy that could beat most teams? It's like the coaches and players got stage fright.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
When we belted France in Paris with the most dazzling of backline play, I thought we had turned a corner. When we won the Trinations with a dominant forward play and some inspiring attacking rugby, I thought the gap had closed and the tide was turning. I was still believing.

The RWC effort displayed the most boring, one dimensional negative rugby I can remember from a wallaby team. I was devastated. It wasn't getting beaten, it was the game plans and negativity that the players were coached to that left me distraught

2012 has been good considering the crippling injury toll however we seem to have regressed rather than progressed with a multi phase aggressive attacking game. The performances before the injury toll were very very dull.

I'm open to a change. The results do not stack up
All right, who hijacked Waylons account? :)

Agree totally.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
He's had five years. Surely if he was taking us somewhere we woulda got there by now

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
While I agree with sentiments on Deans going (I one of these kiwis who was laughing when you first employed him), I actually think perhaps if we look at S15 results, Aus teams were pretty average, has the whole thinng gone backwards?? This is not trying to troll or anything , it a genuine question.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think all the Aus teams were average, just most of them.

The Reds suffered through a fair injury crisis, and Jake White did wonders at the Brumbies...

It will be interesting to see if the Tahs and Force pick up their game next year under new coaches...

R

randalf8

I never bought into the 2010 france game hype. I have seen far too many impressive wallaby performances against teams ranked 4 through 10 to only then a month or so later capitulate like schoolboys when playing the ABs or the Saffas.

France didn't show up for that match. I was genuinely surprised at the number of seasoned, sensible posters that thought we had locked in a winning team and plan based on that.

R

randalf8

Deans is either the worst test rugby strategist I've ever seen, or the players are going rogue on the paddock.

Rogue players are easy to deal with, you drop them. I personally don't give a fuck if we have to send an SOS to Europe to man the side. Those chip kicks in our own half......fuck I don't even want to talk about it anymore it's that bad :(

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
While I agree with sentiments on Deans going (I one of these kiwis who was laughing when you first employed him), I actually think perhaps if we look at S15 results, Aus teams were pretty average, has the whole thinng gone backwards?? This is not trying to troll or anything , it a genuine question.

Well, the year before when we won the whole super tournament and the Tri-Nations he still managed to turn out the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.