• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
damn F.Atprop, that is some impressive running
Magnometric Resonatory Imagerator
did I read somewhere that an MRI in Aus costs $1,000+? you will have a spew pFitzy but here in the East Pitcairns of North West Korea, it's 5,000 yen, that being $50. It looked like the proper hoary great noisy machine too, unless it was a Gunston model, the one where Gene-o just sits on a synthesiser behind the curtain for 30 minutes and lets off a few amplified farts here and there.

Sully, have you tried comically-fast walking on the treadmill? Only half joking here chief, I had my first ever burl on a treadmill last week and daftly realised while fiddling with the speeds that a slow run is basically the same speed as a brisk walk, the only problem being that the absurdly jolly fast walk makes you look like a bit of a wally who urgently needs to use the restroom immediately

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just knocked out my fastest 6km today - each km was under 5 min/km pace, average for 6km was 4.50 with the last 2km 4.33 and 4.43 respectively. OK, it was pretty flat overall, but was my best outing by some margin. I'm a bit stoked.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have been using runkeeper, is strava better?
Good question. I've used a few of these type of sites and none of them are perfect but I have settled on Strava. I actually can't be bothered to go back and revisit all the sites to do a feature comparison but there's nothing to stop you trialing it. Strava lets you upload files in a few different ways (a handy feature ) and it has a neat "segments" feature that allows you to do a more detailed analysis. Apparently the paid version does even more but I'm an advocate for free software (and not at all a tightarse).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Using endomondo - snapped up the Pro version when it was on sale on Google.

Main complaint with strava seems to be its very iOS-centric in its design, rather than using the Android UI features. Has some good stuff like segments etc. that might be more appealing for cyclists.

I don't mind endo. Does the job, has a decent website. They're responsive when you tell them the product is shit, too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Main complaint with strava seems to be its very iOS-centric in its design, rather than using the Android UI features. Has some good stuff like segments etc. that might be more appealing for cyclists.

I don't mind endo. Does the job, has a decent website. They're responsive when you tell them the product is shit, too.
Probably have 1 customer service rep per customer? ;)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

How long since you tried it? Looks good these days.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ran this 50km a couple of weekends ago from O'Reillys to Springbrook in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

http://www.coastalhigh.com.au

It was pretty excellent. Gold Coast Great Walk done in a day. Very tough but better than your average hungover Saturday. Given the course, in a few years it will probably rank right up there with Qld's best trail runs.

For non-speed sessions, I only ever bother to plug runs into MapMyRun before doing them to check distance. Then just run by feel.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ran this 50km a couple of weekends ago from O'Reillys to Springbrook in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

http://www.coastalhigh.com.au

It was pretty excellent. Gold Coast Great Walk done in a day. Very tough but better than your average hungover Saturday. Given the course, in a few years it will probably rank right up there with Qld's best trail runs.

For non-speed sessions, I only ever bother to plug runs into MapMyRun before doing them to check distance. Then just run by feel.

Respect!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So far I have found runkeeper pretty good.

It provides split speeds (I have it at the moment being provided every 3 minutes but it have many different timing options) so as a lone exerciser I have some understanding as to when the shuffle sets in. It also has split details of each run with all the usual crap

It also has training programs that will mix up your runs. At the moment it is keeping me interested although I still am not a a fan of intervals (they hurt)

They have a pro version (of course) but it is farken expensive

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I just took a quick look at runkeeper after not having used it for a couple of years. It seems quite similar to Strava but I couldn't find a feature similar to Strava segments which allows you to compare your own times for particular segments against other Strava users. A recent addition that is mildly interesting is "Flybys" which allows you to see which other Strava users ran or cycled with/past/intersecting you on any given run. When you are as fast as I am this is a useful feature as everything around me is pretty much a blur :rolleyes:

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Seems topical -

Torn between going for a run or cracking a beer? The Beer Run allows beer lovers to sync their preferred running app below with our site for a chance to earn a 6-pack of our beer.
It's simple, all you have to do is run 6km, login to your app, submit your run to us and there'll be a 6-pack waiting at the finish line.

Currently 4897 6-pack's left

Supported apps include runkeeper, mapmyrun and Strava.

Register at https://pureblondebeerrun.com/choose

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
These are the reasons your claim could be rejected:
- It was shorter than 6km
- It was slower than 5km/h (12min/km)
- You didn't submit a valid GPS trail
- Our judges deemed your run to be false
- You have already received a voucher

I think you could walk fast enough to qualify (even on crutches?)
or have some one tow you on a skateboard.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'll keep an eye on the number of packs remaining. Should be right to run again by Sunday, at least for a slow 6km anyway