• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Seems topical -

Torn between going for a run or cracking a beer? The Beer Run allows beer lovers to sync their preferred running app below with our site for a chance to earn a 6-pack of our beer.
It's simple, all you have to do is run 6km, login to your app, submit your run to us and there'll be a 6-pack waiting at the finish line.

Currently 4897 6-pack's left

Supported apps include runkeeper, mapmyrun and Strava.

Register at https://pureblondebeerrun.com/choose
Thanks for the link. Got me off the couch for the first time in a couple of weeks and struggled through the 6km.

Only to find you have to register first!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
overflow-21.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has anyone had a look at a book "Chi Running"?

A "friend" found a copy, it is about running technique and posture.

Well, I have been fiddling about with it, they talk about running as more about cadence and sort of a controlled falling.

It is rather a strange, but a few times now I have got the "feeling" (generally when I remember to push my hips forward) and all of a sudden running becomes an easy rhythmic thing.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
.... running becomes an easy rhythmic thing.....
And that's the thing, isn't it? Finding a method that works for you, that allows you to get into a rhythm where you're no longer thinking about how your stride is going, or how your breathing is. When I'm running well*, i just sort of zone out and I couldn't tell you what I was thinking during the run.

*Of course, "running well" for me is entirely different to "running well" for, say, Tangawizi.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And that's the thing, isn't it? Finding a method that works for you, that allows you to get into a rhythm where you're no longer thinking about how your stride is going, or how your breathing is. When I'm running well*, i just sort of zone out and I couldn't tell you what I was thinking during the run.

*Of course, "running well" for me is entirely different to "running well" for, say, Tangawizi.

yeah, and your knees no longer hurt, very strange

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Posture so important to running - and its hard because it takes effort, and can be discouraging to burn the extra energy to stay upright and effective when you're starting out.

I like barefoot shoes for that reason i.e. stop me getting sloppy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Posture so important to running - and its hard because it takes effort, and can be discouraging to burn the extra energy to stay upright and effective when you're starting out.

I like barefoot shoes for that reason i.e. stop me getting sloppy.
Yeah backed off length of runs and now concentrating on posture: and low and behold my pace got 30 seconds a km quicker without even trying

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
FWIW, my 2015 stats:

Total distance: 2095K
Average distance per run: 12.5K
Average pace over the year: 5:35 (I've never claimed to be fast!)

6 months of > 200K
3 months of > 100K
3 months of < 100K

Need to reduce the number of slack months if I'm going to achieve 2750K in 2016

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, I seem to have been running in between injuries.

I finally got the shits and headed down to running science at Rozelle

Sent to the treadmill with a camera running, a bit of diagnosis, they then drag out some new shoes, back to the treadmill a few times playing Cinderella; and 4 weeks later no injury (touch wood)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just knocked out 12km last night on the treadmill - set it at 12kmh, and finished in 59.48 (it seems to think 12kmh = 4.59 per km). Stoked. Still dehydrated though!