• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've been getting a few compliments on the weight loss at work, and also had to get some work pants taken in - they're nice pants and I'm not blowing the money on new ones. I bought them when they were a "comfy" fit back in November, which means they were swimming on me after the last 7 weeks of fairly intense weight loss.

Wife hadn't really said anything up until the weekend, when I walked out into the kitchen in shirt and shorts.

"Want to watch out you don't get too skinny", she said

"Well, thanks for the compliment!" I replied.

I do love a backhanded compliment o_O

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
well instead of just dispensing holier-than-thou internet running forward slash nutrition advice like an online guru shaman fuckwit I thought I better get up off my arse and go for a run for about the 3rd time in my life. if fat guts pfitzy can turn himself into karen goddamn carpenter in 7 weeks then get fucked, i'm not getting left behind.
always been one of those mesomorphic wankers who ate what the liked without getting fat. until about a year ago. turns out 48 is the cutoff point when body says righto tuff tits, that'll do, we're just gonna store allll that garbage on your meatsuit from here on out you lazy fuckwit.
so first run 2 nights ago was an absolute shocker betty crocker. are those really my legs? I can hardly even lift the useless fuckers. so I shuffled aroudn the block under shadow of darkness for about 10 minutes. at least I didnt walk I suppose.
last night was a bit better, 12 mins running non-stop. half shuffling half almost getting my knees up to simulate the runnign thing. My breathing sounded like a hacksaw being run through Marshall stacks.
How do you proper running types know how far you've run? dont tell me you go running with a shartphone. 12 minutes, I must've covered a good 300 metres I reckon.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
God 8 year old me loved Karen Carpenter!
Pfitzner would have a watch I reckon. A Garmin?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I carry my phone. Any fancypants watch would simply dissolve under the levels of acidic sweat I generate.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How do you proper running types know how far you've run? dont tell me you go running with a shartphone. 12 minutes, I must've covered a good 300 metres I reckon.
Garmin on the wrist, phone tracks it too. Plus, being a bit OCD I know all the point to point distances on most of the routes I run.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rant time.

I was a fat prop through out my school years, never had to run anywhere but waddle to the next scrum. I think I tipped the balance at 115kg at my worst (best?). I'm 6'3 so I kidded myself that the fat was evenly dispersed. I avoided running more than Quade avoids tackling. Cross country was humiliation day for me and I'd use every excuse under the sun to get out of it. So my running fitness was shit, below zero, negative fitness. Essentially I had 18 years of actively working against my body and its health.

Eventually realised I needed to get laid so dropped 30kgs to my current weight of 85. Picked up running and got quite into it. Except I now believe that any semblance of 'resting fitness' has been ruined by my donut days. I've run marathons, In May I could do a 5km in under 20 minutes. But leave running for fucking two months and I can barely get around the block.

Is this normal??? Surely if I can do 20km under 5min/km one week, then 8 weeks later I should have some shred of fitness left? Am I complaining about what is a fact of life?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also I run with my phone, big fan of Strava. Used a fitbit for a bit but they are trash at tracking location.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Rant time.

I was a fat prop through out my school years, never had to run anywhere but waddle to the next scrum. I think I tipped the balance at 115kg at my worst (best?). I'm 6'3 so I kidded myself that the fat was evenly dispersed. I avoided running more than Quade avoids tackling. Cross country was humiliation day for me and I'd use every excuse under the sun to get out of it. So my running fitness was shit, below zero, negative fitness. Essentially I had 18 years of actively working against my body and its health.

Eventually realised I needed to get laid so dropped 30kgs to my current weight of 85. Picked up running and got quite into it. Except I now believe that any semblance of 'resting fitness' has been ruined by my donut days. I've run marathons, In May I could do a 5km in under 20 minutes. But leave running for fucking two months and I can barely get around the block.

Is this normal??? Surely if I can do 20km under 5min/km one week, then 8 weeks later I should have some shred of fitness left? Am I complaining about what is a fact of life?

It does go quickly. Pretty scary.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I remember taking a 6 week break years back and could barely crank out 5km after. Had to go back to 3 for a while at shit pace them come up from there

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Garmin on the wrist, phone tracks it too. Plus, being a bit OCD I know all the point to point distances on most of the routes I run.
I'm a bit OCD myself - every run goes on Strava. Know all the segments for each particular course and I compare these against each other and also against other Strava users. I particularly like the Fly By feature. Sad isn't it?
Also I run with my phone, big fan of Strava.
See above - big fan of Strava.
leave running for fucking two months and I can barely get around the block.
I was a reasonably good runner for my age until The Great Unpleasantness of 2017 when I suffered a bad bout of sciatica, just out of the blue. Never had it before and the drugs really knocked me around. That manifested itself at the start of October 2017. I wasn't able to run again until March 2018. I went from a 60-70km per week runner to not being able to run more than 200 metres (and that is stretching the definition of running, to be honest it was more a brisk walk for some people).
It does go quickly. Pretty scary.
True, it does go quickly but it is surprising how quickly you can get it back with some stick-to-it-ness. Unless you're Tangawizi, you're really only competing with the clock and that little man who sits on your shoulder telling you it's all too hard. I'm back up to three runs a week of 9kms although I still have some way to go before I'll consider myself to be over the Unpleasantness. But I do find that by keeping a record of the runs I can see progress. Slow progress to be sure but progress nevertheless.

Now if only I could lose weight like Pfitzy.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’ll admit to going for runs, recording them on Strava, looking at them and seeing how I went then deleting it quickly before my friends can see how slowly I went. I’d rather them think I’m not running at all than me stumbling around the course at those paces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I’ll admit to going for runs, recording them on Strava, looking at them and seeing how I went then deleting it quickly before my friends can see how slowly I went. I’d rather them think I’m not running at all than me stumbling around the course at those paces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still laps ahead of all those lazy buggers who don't get out the front door :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now if only I could lose weight like Pfitzy.

I've got a lot to give ;)

The weight loss thing is mostly down to controlled eating. When you look at the weekly losses, you can easily target where I didn't keep my discipline:

Week | Loss (kg)
1 | -1.8
2 | -1.4
3 | -0.8
4 | -0.7
5 | -0.4 <---- fat fuck
6 | -0.7
7 | -1.1

There are a couple of things I have in the arsenal that I've picked up from various sources over the years:

Minimise the sugar and the processed food is a fairly obvious one - including booze. I'm not a paleo-nazi or anything, I've just learned to do things like live without sugar in my coffee (still have 1 in my tea, which I don't drink often). Try to avoid "white carbs" like bread, rice, and spuds.

Right before breakfast, a spoon of Black Strap Molasses for important trace minerals and vitamins, and a spoon of fish oil for Omegawhatsits. Important to get enough of these without using excessive "vitamin supplements" that come in tablet form.

That said, I take a Lysine supplement every day (1200mg) because I'm subject to cold sores. I found out later that Lysine supposedly has a few other health benefits relating to calcium absorption, and some minor cardio benefits.

1 x Brazil nut, morning and night - highest concentration of selenium which is being linked to mental health in all sorts of interesting ways. Its not exactly a "feelgood drug" but is coming up in various studies as being important to good mental balance.

Portion control is the main thing for weight loss though. You can't out-run your diet.

Even if you try, and don't eat reasonably well, your health will suffer. A fit-looking older guy I knew would smash out a schnitty and chips with gravy a few times a week, but was trim and terrific. When he finally got around to a blood test, he had shocking cholesterol; the so called "fat inside" types who are ticking time bombs and drop dead jogging somewhere.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was a pretty shit week for me. Was tired in general, and we had to go watch some kids shit on Tuesday night so a bit disrupted there without my usual Pilates session. All that, no running, and a lack of $70M OzLotto wins had me down in the mouth. Hit the sugar last night, too, which is never good.

So I cranked out 5km in 30:45 this morning and feel much better.

Might have to weigh in tomorrow morning as I'll be freezing my arse off up at Guthega when the usual Saturday weigh-in comes around. It won't be great.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
LDL has been smashed back into something approaching "excellent" so that statins are apparently doing the job.

Doc said to take them at night rather than breakfast, to see if that solves the sleep issues, and then we'll lower the dose if it is still a problem.

Once I'm back from the snow I'll do just that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Here are the official cholesterol readouts between mid-June and early August:

Total Cholesterol dropped from 6.6 to 3.4 (recommended < 5.6)
HDL dropped from 1.3 to 1.2 (> 1.0)
LDL dropped from 5.0 to 1.9 (< 2.5 but < 2.0 for CV risk patients)
Non-HDL dropped from 5.3 to 2.2 (< 3.9 but < 2.5 for CV risk patients)

All general chem markers still within range, and then my glucose also got back into the right zone as well.

Ka-ching.