• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queue

You know what, you are all wrong about Quade in this game and for maybe the first time since making this account I feel the need to post because its pathetic how blind australians can become in the throws of pissyness.

First of all the bad:
qmass' post game tape analysis said:
FIRST HALF:
*Kick off out on the full
*Sideline punt out on the full
*High ball knock on - with a nice big slap from thorn for his efforts (surprisingly, no quade-esque retaliation)
*Retarded chip (although he was isolated and had no support even attempting to get on side, he should of kicked for touch but... 'quade' I guess)

SECOND HALF:
*@48mins put up a bomb within chasing distance but lost in the air
*@60mins put up a bomb
*dropped a high ball backwards which was recovered by an australian
ok not great and not what you want to see during a world cup semi-final but in the scheme of things none of these mistakes or judgment errors cost the wallabies points, like the numerous penalties within kicking range, and compared to the missed tackles of elsom in the first half alone, no where near as costly to field position.

Now the good:
qmass' post game tape analysis said:
FIRST HALF:
*He just barely tackled dagg and nonu still scored but he didn't miss and dagg almost went out before off-loading - this is neutral to bad in fairness
*Passage of play from kick off following nonu try, kick return by o'connor chased by quade who tackles dagg, turning him onto the wrong side & almost forcing a turnover.
*@19:52 grubber defused by quade actually putting body on line straight into contact and places back for genia
*Bomb defused despite Kahui making a massive hit, does very well to release, stand up and secure ball for genia clear.
*@21mins quade makes a try saving tackle, rushing up on dagg and forcing a knock on forward pass (?).
*Drop goal keeps wallabies in game
*@33mins beats thorn, nonu and weepu in good individual run.
*@35mins clears within 5m under pressure up to ~45m
*@38mins Digby takes kick, passes to quade - clears from inside 5 to own 10m

SECOND HALF:
*clearing kick early to ~45m
*@41mins almost puts mccabe into hole and backs up
*@45mins recovers bad offload from digby and does a quade-esque behind the back pass to mccabe who makes the advantage line
*@46:40 good cut out pass is wasted by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (recurring theme from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who killed every single opportunity he was presented with, created none and doesn't get mentioned by anyone post game)
*@49:26 safely takes bomb and palms off corey jane, then miscommunication with o'connor = pass to nobody.
*@53mins almost breaks the line and manages to offload safely
*@59mins from missed ab field goal counter-attacks and beats nonu, cruden & reid and safely places ball in ellis' tackle (barnes then kicks away possession and dagg punishes)
*@61mins runs down a good attacking kick for corner by ab, passes well to o'connor who drops the pass and is then charged down.
*@61:50 clears from behind try line, under pressure, and makes the 22.
*@74mins another good take and cut out pass to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who crabs like hes guiteau.
*@75:29 starts move with barnes, wraps in support and beats first tackle to be put down by SBW league tackle.

Not only did quade miss no tackles (speeding through the match a second time might have missed some, correct me if im wrong) but he was one of the only australians creating opportunities (except for o'connor's pass to digby who nearly scored), only kicked away possession twice in the first half (the out on the full kick down australia's right side and that chip) and only twice in the second half (compared to countless times genia and barnes kicked away possession without earning the ire of both nz and australian fans), was the safest australian under the high ball and was a stand out on defence. Yet he is shit on like he just pulled a mcdonald? I know people are prone to quade hate and its fashionable to blame everything on him (in fairness the quarter final was a shocking performance) but if you go back and watch this game again he makes up for his early mistakes time and time again and no other australian contributes nearly as much as he does.

I guess this will appear as a quade apologist brown nose but it shits me when australians are so willing to jump on a bandwagon and completely ignore the fact that objectively nobody came close to performing as well as cooper did, and continue to point fingers in the wrong direction.

The players you should be looking at are elsom for missing tackles, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for killing every opportunity he was involved in and genia for consistantly kicking away possession in the face of dagg's latham-esque kick returns. (barnes gets an honourable mention for being almost as ineffectual with the boot as genia)

(excuse my capitalization, my left shift key is broken :()

P

pete88

Nice post, pretty much my impression of his game, although he might have slipped off one or two tackles, I'm not sure. Also, harsh on Barnes? Thought his kicking game wasn't that bad, he didn't kick away good attacking ball as Cooper and Beale have at times inexplicably done this tournament.

I agree he did more good stuff than pretty much anyone else in gold, problem was this year's big tests have all been defined by the first quarter of rugby. If we didn't lay down markers in that first 20 we weren't in this one, and Quade helped to not lay down those markers. I say this as a Quade "apologist", or at least someone who thinks he could be great, especially if he spends his next 10 years trying to be the best rugby flyhalf he can be and is hurting as much as anyone who posts on this forum is hurting right now, probably more. He's way too easy to hang shit on, and wasn't that bad tonight.

I can't sleep, I have no doubt I wouldn't be tossing and turning if we'd won. FML

Q

Queue

barnes might have chewed off more meters initially (than genia's box kicking) but it seemed to hurt more when the ball went into the abs 22 and dagg was able to murder us in response - compared to genia giving away possession and the abs gathering in mid-field. Maybe thats too subjective, didn't watch his game as closely.

J

Jumpers

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5794943/Henry-praises-ABs-but-delivers-final-warning

great bit of sportsmanship from Genia there. Am very worried about the next few years, Wallabies definitely a team on the rise, lots of good youngsters, ABs are going to have to produce a lot of fine crop to not let you guys run away with the Bled then!

Good to see young players coming thru and yes there will be a few AB players retiring Thorne, Mills, Ali Williams. And probably there will be a few AB player changes as expected in 2012. The ABs are fortunate that the ITM Cup have thrown up some very good young players with plentiful of 1/5's coming thru (Warren Gatlands son plays 1/5 for Ham BHS -very good player), And these young players have proven themselves winning the Junior WC the last 4 yrs. Young lad in Canterbury who's been touted as the next Dan Carter playing brilliant rugby down there. There is unbelieveable talent right across the forwards and backs all to be revealed in the next few years. The ABs are really spoiled for choice-too many good players for only 22 AB spots!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You know what, you are all wrong about Quade in this game and for maybe the first time since making this account I feel the need to post because its pathetic how blind australians can become in the throws of pissyness.

First of all the bad:eek:k not great and not what you want to see during a world cup semi-final but in the scheme of things none of these mistakes or judgment errors cost the wallabies points, like the numerous penalties within kicking range, and compared to the missed tackles of elsom in the first half alone, no where near as costly to field position.

Now the good:

Not only did quade miss no tackles (speeding through the match a second time might have missed some, correct me if im wrong) but he was one of the only australians creating opportunities (except for o'connor's pass to digby who nearly scored), only kicked away possession twice in the first half (the out on the full kick down australia's right side and that chip) and only twice in the second half (compared to countless times genia and barnes kicked away possession without earning the ire of both nz and australian fans), was the safest australian under the high ball and was a stand out on defence. Yet he is shit on like he just pulled a mcdonald? I know people are prone to quade hate and its fashionable to blame everything on him (in fairness the quarter final was a shocking performance) but if you go back and watch this game again he makes up for his early mistakes time and time again and no other australian contributes nearly as much as he does.

I guess this will appear as a quade apologist brown nose but it shits me when australians are so willing to jump on a bandwagon and completely ignore the fact that objectively nobody came close to performing as well as cooper did, and continue to point fingers in the wrong direction.

The players you should be looking at are elsom for missing tackles, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for killing every opportunity he was involved in and genia for consistantly kicking away possession in the face of dagg's latham-esque kick returns. (barnes gets an honourable mention for being almost as ineffectual with the boot as genia)

(excuse my capitalization, my left shift key is broken :()

The importance of the kick off going out on the full is not to be underestimated.
Tim Horan said that in the first 20 you needed to be so good that the ABs would doubt themselves. He played a couple of tests more than anyone on here. I think he's right.
Horan meant the first 20 minutes not seconds!
It would have given the ABs a psychological huge boost, in my view. It gave them quality ball in good position and they were immediately into the match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
barnes might have chewed off more meters initially (than genia's box kicking) but it seemed to hurt more when the ball went into the abs 22 and dagg was able to murder us in response - compared to genia giving away possession and the abs gathering in mid-field. Maybe thats too subjective, didn't watch his game as closely.

If they were intent on kicking they should have been banging the corners: at least then you get field position.
The kicks are obviously a tactic: I'd love to know why you kick to the ABs other than for territory.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good to see young players coming thru and yes there will be a few AB players retiring Thorne, Mills, Ali Williams. And probably there will be a few AB player changes as expected in 2012. The ABs are fortunate that the ITM Cup have thrown up some very good young players with plentiful of 1/5's coming thru (Warren Gatlands son plays 1/5 for Ham BHS -very good player), And these young players have proven themselves winning the Junior WC the last 4 yrs. Young lad in Canterbury who's been touted as the next Dan Carter playing brilliant rugby down there. There is unbelieveable talent right across the forwards and backs all to be revealed in the next few years. The ABs are really spoiled for choice-too many good players for only 22 AB spots!

I don't think NZ are fortunate: thats what happens when you live and breathe the game and you are taught the fundamentals.
Have you ever heard a commentator say of an AB he only took up the game at 13?

F

Flymagnet

It's pretty basic... Joubert always allows the more dominant team to get the advantage at the breakdown, and every time we play the ABs they're smart enough to commit the numbers, and then we sook about being hard done by...

No excuses...

Sorry Slim, can't agree with you there especially when the supposed "advantage" is blatantly obvious infringing. I can't wait to watch the replay in detail but there were at least 3 occasions in the first 30 when the AB's had dived so far over the ball, the Wallabies had trouble engaging ....or ...one corker in which the AB went over the ball and smothered (let's not even go near McCaw's "professional foul when Ioane got us to a few metres from the AB line). I don't like sour grapes either but I had a clear feeling that those first 4 or 5 penalties from Joubert in the first half to the blacks really took whatever rythme there was in attack away.

Then to cap matters off just Jim dandy we get this from Henry in the post match interview when asked about Cooper's treatment....
"I think Quade has brought a wee bit of that on himself," Henry said.
"He's got a wee bit of mileage to make up and he probably made up a bit tonight
"I think you have to earn that respect. He's lost a bit of respect with some of his actions in the previous Test matches. That's natural.
"But he tried very hard tonight, he kept his nose clean which was nice, and he's gained some respect.
"You have to earn respect; you can't just expect respect." (FOX)

Crikey .....now there's a combo cheap shot and 'being magnanimous in victory' display for you.

BTW Hi all from an old Waringah number 5. Great site, pity I didn't find it earlier.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Welcome aboard, flymagnet!

I thought Joubert had an excellent game. There are always going to be penalties that could have gone either way, especially between two teams that work so hard at the breakdown. The Wobs started on the wrong beat when Cooper kicked it out on the full and never found their rhythm. Ref didn't have anything to do with that.

F

Flymagnet

Thanks for the welcome Richo..... always appreciated. Agree in general especially in comparison to the shocker Lawrence had in the Saffa's v Walla's match. Might just zip it now this end until the replay is viewed in detail as I'm sure I watched the live event through a very thick self-inflicted haze ;-)

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Welcome aboard, flymagnet!

I thought Joubert had an excellent game. There are always going to be penalties that could have gone either way, especially between two teams that work so hard at the breakdown. The Wobs started on the wrong beat when Cooper kicked it out on the full and never found their rhythm. Ref didn't have anything to do with that.

Take a look at how much interference and off side play he missed throughout the game at the breakdown and in general play and then try and defend him. Give the final to the Irish ref there's no such thing as a good SA referee. Interesting scrum penalty when Franks was flat on his face and Kepu gets done for collapsing, its a blight on the game. Free kick and play on.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Wallabies showed brief periods of adequacy.

New Zealand had an off night with the boot, but were pretty awesome in all other aspects. Congratulations to them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Joubert loves scrum penalties, and generally favours the attacking team. His big problems are allowing players to dive in off their feet and not policing offside (how about Weepu standing between Genia and Cooper on one occasion).

However he is consistent. If he policed the areas noted above he would be the best in the world. At the moment I think he is behind Wayne Barnes due to those issues.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Take a look at how much interference and off side play he missed throughout the game at the breakdown and in general play and then try and defend him. Give the final to the Irish ref there's no such thing as a good SA referee. Interesting scrum penalty when Franks was flat on his face and Kepu gets done for collapsing, its a blight on the game. Free kick and play on.

If every ref called every incidental infringement the game would be a farce. Scott Allen recently did an analysis of infringement calls for the 3N that showed the relatively low number of possible calls that are called. What makes rugby so engaging is the complexity of the game and the referee is crucial to making sure that is a flowing complexity, not stagnant and riddled with stoppages. Joubert did this well last night.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Joubert loves scrum penalties, and generally favours the attacking team. His big problems are allowing players to dive in off their feet and not policing offside (how about Weepu standing between Genia and Cooper on one occasion).

However he is consistent. If he policed the areas noted above he would be the best in the world. At the moment I think he is behind Wayne Barnes due to those issues.

Well Joubert has gotten the final and fair enough too. In the biggest game of the cup i thought he held his nerve very well and didn't get in the way of the game at all.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Faainga is an honest footballer and probably a great bloke but offers nothing as a test 13 and McCabe is as tough as you can get but someone needs to remind our brains trust that you win by outscoring the opposition and picking players who can do more than tackle or run straight helps achieve that (ie Nonu & Smith)

Here's a crazy thought.....let's move Higgers to the centres. He has a good step and chip kick, plus i have seen him offload on occasion. He could be our Nonu.

Status
Not open for further replies.