• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

potjiekos

Let me make use of this opportunity to congratulate the AB's on their well deserved victory as well as a long overdue RWC final appearance!!

To my NZ bretheren, enjoy every moment of it . (Am having flashbacks to '95....I was fortunate enough to experience, first hand, the boks victory on homesoil and what that meant to the country as a whole...... a euphoric feeling that I will most probably never get to experience again in my lifetime!!)

To my wallaby bretheren..... commiserations and hard luck. All I can say is... chin up, the better team (on the night) won. It's not over yet, though! You still have a mouth-watering 3/4 place playoff to look forward to... against a super-fit and rejuvenated Welsh team thats out to prove a point.

N

nicobinho

Great game and congratulations to New Zealand. Now they need to prepare for the final vs France which won't be easy. Australia keep your head up because it happens to the best of us.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I think the ABs would have prefered to Play Wales rather than France, I think Wales would have pushed them mightily close but, I don't think we have that little extra just yet.. France what can you say about them, They are capable of loosing to anyone, but on the other hand they are capable of beating anyone too.

The ABs will wright off the French at their peril.???

B

Blob

Interested in the view that Pocock was whistled out of the game. Do people mean he was penalised unfairly; that he was penalised despite not having committed an offence? Or do they mean that Joubert set a strict tone from the outset, didn't allow the same latitude as Lawrence, and therefore that Pocock had less opportunity? Aside form the fact that the All Blacks took him out of the game by running at him as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interested in the view that Pocock was whistled out of the game. Do people mean he was penalised unfairly; that he was penalised despite not having committed an offence? Or do they mean that Joubert set a strict tone from the outset, didn't allow the same latitude as Lawrence, and therefore that Pocock had less opportunity? Aside form the fact that the All Blacks took him out of the game by running at him as well.

Does anyone think macaw was as influential as he usually is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks like AB'S can only win the world cup in there own country. (pending they win) be a long time when they win it again....

All Blacks Forward play well,wallabies didn't even turn up to the game......

Maybe the Shocking Sat's to what happens to the People and the country when they AB's lose Kicked into the Wallabies...... ;)

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone think macaw was as influential as he usually is?

He wasn't all over the park like he sometimes is, but what he did he did very well. That tackle he made on Genia after the Pocock turnover (despite the shoulder charge from Horwill) was sensational and a real coach killer. It was perfect timing if you look closely at it. A turnover there had the potential for danger and McCaw snuffed it out before it even started.

M

Mojoman

Not unfairly, technically the penalties he was given were fair. BUT, you can literally penalise any openside @ any breakdown for what he is doing. You just have to look hard enough. Thats where I believe he was whistled out of the game. Joubert IMO was looking for him after the criticism levelled @ Lawrence. Also, it's harder to "hide" when your team is going backwards and you're trying to do all you can to win possession.

McCaw from what I've seen gets penalised more often than not when under pressure defensively, trying to effect a turnover or slow down ball. Same thing for Pocock lastnight, under pressure in defence, Ref already looking out for you. Perhaps he got conservative? Didn't want to get yellow carded?

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
New to this thread. Just had a browse. Why is it that in Australia and NZ if their RU team loses the ref comes under so much scrutiny? IMO you would not get this in SA or Europe.

Can anyone throw any light on why this is?

I'm not trying to point the finger, just interested to hear any insight anyone has.

M

Muttonbird

Looks like AB'S can only win the world cup in there own country. (pending they win) be a long time when they win it again....

All Blacks Forward play well,wallabies didn't even turn up to the game......

Maybe the Shocking Sat's to what happens to the People and the country when they AB's lose Kicked into the Wallabies...... ;)

Still hurting there? Could be a while before you make a reasoned post.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Jay, not really no.

The Wales situation is fundamentally different for obvious reasons. I am not from SA either but even there situation was / is somewhat different.

Also in both occasions their whinging seemed to have a 'quality' about it and was isolated to a narrow context.

How many times do you hear an Australian or Kiwi whinge about the ref if they loose....every time.

What happened to Wales and SA were 'freak' situations. Re Australia / NZ, one side whinges about the ref without fail every game....and the same interpretation / misinterpretation of the rules. Normally at the breakdown. Generally it takes 4 - 6 penalties to learn the ref of the day has a view, just the players seem to take too long to get their heads around them, hence more penalties and then more whinging after the game.

Or am I missing something? I'm sorry but the SA and Welsh whinging was minor and more 'one off' in nature unlike the repetitive Australian / NZ whinging....depending on who wins and nothing else.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
A large dose of reality, but apart from that not much.

Why are the SA and Wales cases "fundamentally different"? They lost, they blamed the ref for their inability to score more points than the opposition.

Couldn't agree more. Just about every team in world rugby does this. Louder the more they think that have been robbed. SA and Wales are no different to the rest.

Didn't notice many Aussies blaming the ref for our loss. Our team, Quade, Deans, forwards, forwards coach, ball boys, John O'Neill, provincial rugby system, Super 15 system, lack of coverage, lack of support, competition from other sports, easy going Australian life style and private school upbringing - yes - they all got what they deserved. But the ref not so much.

Just about every team also plays the ref before the game, whether it is to "highlight" areas that the ref should be looking at, "compliment" them on their control of the breakdown etc. All about maximising the advantage for your team.

J

Jay

Jay, not really no.

The Wales situation is fundamentally different for obvious reasons. I am not from SA either but even there situation was / is somewhat different.

Also in both occasions their whinging seemed to have a 'quality' about it and was isolated to a narrow context.

How many times do you hear an Australian or Kiwi whinge about the ref if they loose....every time.

What happened to Wales and SA were 'freak' situations. Re Australia / NZ, one side whinges about the ref without fail every game....and the same interpretation / misinterpretation of the rules. Normally at the breakdown. Generally it takes 4 - 6 penalties to learn the ref of the day has a view, just the players seem to take too long to get their heads around them, hence more penalties and then more whinging after the game.

Or am I missing something? I'm sorry but the SA and Welsh whinging was minor and more 'one off' in nature unlike the repetitive Australian / NZ whinging....depending on who wins and nothing else.

I don't recall many AB fans moaning about the ref after Brisbane. Or Hong Kong. There were some comments about the TMO debacle in Port Elizabeth, understandably, but no one went as far as saying the ref cost the AB's the match. How about you provide some examples?

And before you bring up Barnes, if you're gonna excuse SA moaning about Lawrence....

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't recall many AB fans moaning about the ref after Brisbane. Or Hong Kong. There were some comments about the TMO debacle in Port Elizabeth, understandably, but no one went as far as saying the ref cost the AB's the match. How about you provide some examples?

And before you bring up Barnes, if you're gonna excuse SA moaning about Lawrence....

Must say, I struggle to remember the All Blacks complaining about the ref. But then I struggle to remember them losing too many times either. Not much to complain about.

J

Jay

Must say, I struggle to remember the All Blacks complaining about the ref. But then I struggle to remember them losing too many times either. Not much to complain about.

AB fans tend to round on the coach or one or two underperforming players (hi Stephen Donald).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Statistically, they get the chance to complain about the ref after a loss once, or at most 2-3 times a year, so it would be a rare event.
Providence must live in an alternative reality where NH teams just get on with playing without any complaint whatsoever about refs, Assistant Refs, TMOs...
I guess that reality doesn't have the Internet, hence the need to share it with us. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.