• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know I know you not saying the ABs didn't deserve to win, but it doesn't look good fellas. Perhaps just discuss these things some other day when someone can go back over all ref decisions huh?

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
How about a penalty, right in front, nearly 40 out, for this?

Advantage apparently expired when we got out wide to the 22.

Consistency is all I ask.

How is that inconsistent? I don't recall him going back for long penalty advantages for NZ.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You'll need to show some stills with the ball still in the ruck to actually show he's offiside. Not saying he wasn't, but those don't prove it.

Agreed - and looking back, he doesn't appear in frame until Phipps has the ball in hand, so its difficult to judge.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How is that inconsistent? I don't recall him going back for long penalty advantages for NZ.

Consistency of high tackle application first of all - asked the TMO to review it, and nothing happened, then overrode him by saying the advantage expired.

Scoring opportunity - tactical advantage - had not expired.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Consistency of high tackle application first of all - asked the TMO to review it, and nothing happened, then overrode him by saying the advantage expired.

Scoring opportunity - tactical advantage - had not expired.

Owens ruled that even if it was a high tackle advantage would have applied. That's not actually inconsistent. You can argue whether it's a good call or not, but unless there's an example of him playing a similar advantage and going back for the penalty, I don't see how it's inconsistent.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great game, worthy of a RWC final congrats to New Zealand for their performance. 3 losses in 4 years is beyond belief. We did well and am proud of our comeback, especially considering the loss of Douglas and giteau early/earlish. Abs dominated the line out and disrupted the scrum, some of their short passing was lethal. It's been a great RWC, maybe the best ever, atleast I can't think of one when the quality of rugby has been better and so many great games.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I know I know you not saying the ABs didn't deserve to win, but it doesn't look good fellas. Perhaps just discuss these things some other day when someone can go back over all ref decisions huh?
nah, fuck that, we've copped shit for 2 weeks because of one decision that went our way so it's our turn! ;)

seriously though, I believe we all have the right to assess the performance of the officials as much as the players. And their performance was poor in this game. I'd say the same thing if it went our way.

Well done All Blacks, well deserved win that has been building for 4 years, and very proud of the Wallabies for their rebuild from what we saw 12 months ago.

Anyway, that's me signing out, see you all in the Soup season, and thanks for a fun and enlightening RWC!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
New Zealand head coach Steve Hansen hailed the Wallabies as "magnificent" after his side lifted the World Cup at Twickenham.
The All Blacks were eventual 34-17 winners in an absorbing contest, but they had to handle a concerning fightback from Australia in the second-half.
"It’s extremely difficult on a night like this when you get a winner and loser, and it’s a tough night for the loser. What I’d like to say on behalf of myself and the team was that I thought Australia were magnificent," Hansen said.
"The way they approached the game, they never lay down, and at 21-17 they could have easily won the game.
"From our point of view we’d like to acknowledge them for being the opponents they were, and while as a group we’re happy with what we’ve achieved, as a group we’d like to say well done to Australia as well."

Well said Shag and I agree!!

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
From an article quoting Hansen. Not everyone is classy in victory. This is - and Carter and McCaw's post match interviews were as well. Whatever else we all might be thinking right now - the wallabies lost to a very good rugby side, perhaps one of the greats, and one which contains some quality individuals. Much as it hurts, you can't begrudge them their success.

"It’s extremely difficult on a night like this when you get a winner and loser, and it’s a tough night for the loser. What I’d like to say on behalf of myself and the team was that I thought Australia were magnificent," Hansen said.
"The way they approached the game, they never lay down, and at 21-17 they could have easily won the game.
"From our point of view we’d like to acknowledge them for being the opponents they were, and while as a group we’re happy with what we’ve achieved, as a group we’d like to say well done to Australia as well."

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
New Zealand head coach Steve Hansen hailed the Wallabies as "magnificent" after his side lifted the World Cup at Twickenham.
The All Blacks were eventual 34-17 winners in an absorbing contest, but they had to handle a concerning fightback from Australia in the second-half.

Well said Shag and I agree!!

Well said Dan and I agree

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He tipped the player then let go allowing him to drop onto his head.

No he didn't - he realises as he gets the leg up, that the head is going down, and starts to lower the leg accordingly. Once the player hits the deck, he releases the leg. You can see it on the slowmo.

It was "high range yellow" for me, despite Owens' desire for it to be penalty only.

I think back to Sam Warburton in RWC2011 and what a tragedy that red card was.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Congrats to NZ, worthy winners and better side over 80 minutes. As this is an Australian Rugby forum I think a few visitors would do well to let people vent a bit. So soon after isn't a good time to necessarily start challenging peoples views. Let em count to 10.

On our guys, we needed our perfect game and losing Giteau and Douglas in my mind really hurt us, we needed luck like injuries to hold out for us.

Very proud of that second half, it will stand us in good stead for the future. We've clearly turned the corner, NRC is at the end of year 2 and building , Rugby is moving in the right direction. I think we are a legit chance at Bledisloe, probably our best in a decade. Go Wallabies. @StongerAsOne

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)

That didn't happen - it would have been an automatic red if he had. It was a yellow card offence every day of the week and has been since the IRB clarification five years or so ago.

The International Rugby Board has issued a statement of clarification regarding the Tip or Spear tackle.
Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:
- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)
- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)
- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient
Regular directives to Unions, Match Officials and Judicial Officers have been issued to reinforce the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance regarding dangerous tackles and the promotion of player welfare.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)

He lifted the player's leg. He didn't drop him or drive him down. Show me a red card given against a player who didn't actually drive the player down. Yellow only (and while I realise it's a consistent yellow these days, the witch hunt against tip tackles is kind of extreme. A tackle like this is accidental and careless, just like Kepu's head high, just like Kepu's high shot, just like Kaino's high shot)

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unfortunately too many handling errors & turnovers from Wallabies, though until refs & officials stop believing All Blacks invincible, they will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He lifted the player's leg. He didn't drop him or drive him down. Show me a red card given against a player who didn't actually drive the player down. Yellow only (and while I realise it's a consistent yellow these days, the witch hunt against tip tackles is kind of extreme. A tackle like this is accidental and careless, just like Kepu's head high, just like Kepu's high shot, just like Kaino's high shot)

Unfortunately there is all too many examples of similar tackles being deemed red card offences. Latu's four week suspension and Skelton's two week suspension for the tackle on Sam Whitelock spring immediately to mind. Skelton's offence was deemed worthy of a red card and he didn't even do the lifting.

Edit: Although like this was certainly not deserving of a red

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well done NZ. Just brought greater intensity and accuracy to pretty much every part of the game. You are worthy world champs....again.

And congrats to our boys and the coaches for a monumental RWC campaign that few of us thought was possible 9 months ago. I am very proud to be a Wallaby supporter today

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maximum respect to Cheika & his guys, I think Gaggers analogy of the (not quite yet) flat black line & the (slowly but surely) ascending yellowish gold line is very close to the mark. But in the meantime it's four more years at least for you guys & ive avoided the warm & flat XXXX whilst wearing a $6 replicant Wobs shirt. On the whole I'm pretty happy with that. About to watch a replay, may post later when / if sober :) :) :)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Massively disappointed with the result, but really enjoyed the game! A real thriller!

Well done to the Wallabies on a great campaign and an impressive fight back in the second half.

Congrats to the All Blacks. The way they closed the game out in the final minutes of the game showed that they were the better side on the night and deserved to win. They've been the best team for the last four years and its fitting they take the title.

I thought the All Blacks were the better side in the first half, although they clearly got the rub of the green. The two injuries so early in the game hurt us, and a few (fairly obvious) all black errors were missed which led to points. They proved costly in the end, but that's rugby I suppose.

A few interesting ref calls at the end of the game too. The one that had me most baffled was Owens calling advantage over for the wallabies when they had a penalty less than 40 out directly in front of the posts. Ordinarily a team would have to get pretty damn close to a try to lose that advantage but it was advantage over as they get to the 22. tough call.

I don't know about the last scrum penalty. I'll leave that up to posters who are more educated on the subject.

All in all, a great game and a great tournament.

Go Wallabies! We'll take it next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.