• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say it would be the same 23 but he might rotate the bench a bit. Subject to injuries of course.

Pretty much this..........

The Wallabies have a week off after England, so we should be playing our 'best' available team for Wales..........

I think we've been lucky with the draw to have the Uruguay game in between Fiji and England, whereas both England and Wales have had to play their three toughest games in a row...........

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
What is it with Pommy rugby writers? This is from the aptly named Andy Bull on the same site:

Um, yeah.
Welcome to the English poodle press. It's gonna get worse before the week is out. This is mild wait til the heavyweights swing not gear. But like last week in the light of this drivel it makes victory all the better. Especially as they will be out

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty much this....

The Wallabies have a week off after England, so we should be playing our 'best' available team for Wales....

I think we've been lucky with the draw to have the Uruguay game in between Fiji and England, whereas both England and Wales have had to play their three toughest games in a row.....
I thought that at the beginning but as its panned out having knocked off England early the pressure switches onto Australia orcland game

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Daily Mail reporting that Joseph is back from injury and will link up with Barritt again, along with Farrell.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Daily Mail reporting that Joseph is back from injury and will link up with Barritt again, along with Farrell.
Telegraph reporting the same. JJ is a very promising youngster but can be naive in defence. He is certainly not the messiah. Can't see anything other than an Aussie win, possibly quite a comfortable one.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From today's Lond Telegraph; the scrummaging cat is out of the bag.

Note the picture which shows England 7 in'st packing on his prop's backside but is becoming a 4th prop.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...crummaging-claims-former-Wallabies-coach.html
Bob Dwyer, Australia’s 1991 World Cup winning coach, has forcefully attacked the legality of England’s scrummaging ahead of their World Cup showdown against the Wallabies on Saturday.
England achieved dominance up front in their 28-25 defeat to Wales last Saturday, forcing four scrum penalties. However, Dwyer believes that was achieved through Joe Marler, the English loosehead, boring in on Tomas Francis causing the Wales scrum to wheel.
Jonathan Kaplan, the former referee who has officiated a record number of Tests, already highlighted this practice by tweeting, “I’d like to see if the England pack is square on the loosehead side ... just the once.”
The man in the middle at Twickenham is Romain Poite, the French referee renowned as the most savvy scrum official in the game who Dwyer hopes will clamp down on Marler. “So much of the scrum is based on perception,” Dwyer said. “The English work on having a reputation for legal scrummaging while doing the opposite. If I was Michael Cheika, I would be asking the referee is that [Marler angling in] allowed.

england_scrum_3457692b.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Poite "...... most savvy scrum official in the game........" ? Really?

Excellent analysis of the Pom (& Welsh) illegal scrummaging on the front page highlighting the fact it's not just Marler, it's the whole eight who are creating the illusion of a dominant scrum to con the ref.

I'm sure we all hope Poite is under orders to police the scrums properly but chances are he won't be & will therefore be at least as bad as Garces was. In descending order of legality, what can your blokes do about it?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Back to this for a moment.....

You'd think Poite might've picked up that the English scrum was walking around when he had to back peddle 5 metres to get out of the way.....

If you look at the comments of Matt's front page piece on those scrums, there's someone who apparently blames it all on the Welsh hooker. It just shows me how little I, or maybe anyone, knows about how scrums work. I'm still not sure how the Welsh hooker's hips next to the THP has anything to do with Marler and Robshaw angling from the get-go, but there you are.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm sure we all hope Poite is under orders to police the scrums properly but chances are he won't be & will therefore be at least as bad as Garces was. In descending order of legality, what can your blokes do about it?

Scrum tight and straight, that's what we can do.

I know I am alone in this, but I would pick Pocock at 7 and McCalman at 8. Just to strengthen the set pieces.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surprising that Joseph is back after it being suggested that he could miss a couple more weeks only a week ago.

The Wallabies will certainly be wanting to put a strong hit on him early to see whether his chest/ribs are really alright or not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Poite rewards dominance at scrum time, that is why we have been treated poorly (but fairly) in the past.

How we go in this game, hopefully better, but how much better? I really have no idea.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
With Barritt inside him, Joseph will be lucky to see the ball!

I think England have made it clear what the game plan will be!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprising that Joseph is back after it being suggested that he could miss a couple more weeks only a week ago.

The Wallabies will certainly be wanting to put a strong hit on him early to see whether his chest/ribs are really alright or not.

I like this a lot. I have doubts whether JJ, Morgan and Youngs are 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.