• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
As usual, the best part about any pommy sporting catastrophe has little to do with the event itself but the aftermath, that being, going around the pommy papers and beholding the whinging. The boot goes in bigtime. On their own kind. Hung out to dry, shot at dawn, dragged across town behind that f**king broken chariot, then shot again in the nuts just because. They revel in misery. It's their national pastime, it's when they're at their most creative, and it's what they excel at above all else.

Other nations might fancy themselves as a bit crash hot at baseball, or bullfighting, or lying on the beach, or making high quality spatulas, or whatever. The Poms are the undisputed world champs at having a colossal whinge. The heavyweights. Today the UK papers and online blog comments sections will be kicking into overdrive as poms flock en masse to naturally and organically revel in their natural element.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm 4 days in with this f**king nasty flu that most people I know who've had it have taken about a month to recover from. But after seeing England knocked out in the pool stages I think my recovery time has been reduced by about 3 weeks.

Definitely watching a few repeats of this game. Its good medicine.

AS, sorry to hear you are poorly. Mrs D and I picked it up in Sydney 3 weeks ago. We are both still coughing, but hers has become double pneumonia, plus a partially-collapsed lung, so you look after yourself, girl!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Said like an Australian Rugbynutter. Most English don't care about league or know who Burgess is.

Well league is 3rd football code in uk while in Australia Union is 4th code

I think most of uk well aware of burgess's profile as league has same level of following in uk as union does in australia

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
We all know who the Man of the Match was but....the Man of the Pre Match was certainly the author of that article that went global....stand up please Mr Rowley and take the bow that you deserve!!! As an aside...any chance you and Mr Timms can re unite 4 years later for the pre semi final podcast:)

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well league is 3rd football code in uk while in Australia Union is 4th code

I think most of uk well aware of burgess's profile as league has same level of following in uk as union does in australia

Have you seen where the Super League teams are based? If you asked a person from Bath what they knew of Burgess last year the answer would be different. There's plenty of Aussie soccer players overseas but I couldn't tell you their names.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
RWC-Tel-Ad-540-020_3342707a.jpg

Probably be a whole lot more of these packages that will now come on to the market offering access to previously sold out England games.

Oh, that's right, there's only one more England Match to go.

Hugh, it could be said that the Wallabies have done a great job in promoting "recycling" in the UK!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have you seen where the Super League teams are based? If you asked a person from Bath what they knew of Burgess last year the answer would be different. There's plenty of Aussie soccer players overseas but I couldn't tell you their names.

Yes in North of England - I lived in uk and league gets as much can coverage
Media wise as union so yes the most high profile league players have decent followings

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
RWC-Tel-Ad-540-020_3342707a.jpg

Probably be a whole lot more of these packages that will now come on to the market offering access to previously sold out England games.

Oh, that's right, there's only one more England Match to go.

I can't imagine what the atmosphere will be like when they play Uruguay.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry my views may differ to many but i still reckon burgess a great acquisition for rugby and the world game (if he sticks with it) and don't buy into all the media bullshit critcism of him as reckon for the 5 seconds of international
Rugby he has played he is doing ok.

And I confess I am like many others who follow other sports like league and salivate at prospect of other players of this prdigree coming across to rugby which is my first choice football code

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Prophetic words.;) We shall see if they do stick with him.

"It's not that unusual because Wales have done something very similar with Warren Gatland. Lancaster has barely put a foot wrong in his three years in charge so far, but it is still a pretty massive show of faith in Lancaster and his coaches to say that whatever happens in the World Cup next year, and even if the World Cup is a disaster, you are still the man to take us through to the next one."
Chris Jones BBC Rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sorry my views may differ to many but i still reckon burgess a great acquisition for rugby and the world game (if he sticks with it) and don't buy into all the media bullshit critcism of him as reckon for the 5 seconds of international
Rugby he has played he is doing ok.

And I confess I am like many others who follow other sports like league and salivate at prospect of other players of this prdigree coming across to rugby which is my first choice football code

He's a great acquisition for rugby. The big problem is he's a 6 not a 12 and there wasn't enough time to turn him into an international 6, so he gets picked at 12 for England, even though he plays mostly 6 for Bath.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
4:50 am in Soap Dodger Land ATM. Expect the Interwebs to really fire up in a frenzy of self flagellation and Witch Hunting that the Taliban would be proud of in about 4 hours.

Gunston Corp International IT Division are on standby to handle the overload and surge when they wake up in Pommieland and feel the need to vent.

Gene Gunston, Spokesman for Gunston Corp, has said that the internet traffic tsunami about to hit when England awakens to face the reality that they are a minnow nation in Soccer, Rugby and Cricket will make the traffic figures on Green and Gold Rugby's Forum "Quade Telling It Like It Is" at it's most frenetically frothing look as busy as the NZ Government's Conservation Division's Kakapo Tracking database.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He's a great acquisition for rugby. The big problem is he's a 6 not a 12 and there wasn't enough time to turn him into an international 6, so he gets picked at 12 for England, even though he plays mostly 6 for Bath.

I agree quick hands - 6 is longer term game plan but no way could have done that in time available to learn those skills ...he will be great forward - centre was a stop gap measure but in fairness he was not a complete let down in that position but yes not best position for him to utilise his skills

Status
Not open for further replies.