• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with the like for like swap with McMahon. If Beale is at fullback. we are going to have one obvious problem. Wales will be putting up bombs all night long as the whole world knows Beale cant catch to save his life. I would be giving Mitchell the nod over Tomane. I would be giving Cooper the bench spot as he deserves it. It will probably be his last game of the world cup and IMO is a much better kick returner then Beale anyway at fullback/would be a great sub 10 to go to mix the attack up.

Where is the recent evidence that Beale is poor under that high ball?

That is a pretty old stereotype now that hasn't been borne out in reality for the last couple of seasons.

He's clearly the backup fullback in the squad.

Obviously he's not as good under the high ball as Folau but no one in our team comes close to his ability in that situation.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Every time someone says something like 'Beale can't catch to save his life' I request evidence. No one has been able to produce it yet. It's a myth. He has weaknesses but that's not one of them.

It works both ways, to be fair.

Beale's high ball skills are currently unknown, he hasn't been tested under a high ball in years. Maybe it is a weakness maybe he's good at it, no-one knows!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
while i'd like to see the mchocock released i think it's unlikely.

i'd say AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to fullback is most likely, with beale on the wing.

then a fight between speight and mitchell for the bench spot.
Horne is out. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were to go to 15, then we'd be looking for two new wingers. Not a fight between Mitchell and Speight for the bench spot at all, but for the other wing spot if Beale fills in for one of Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

However, I think that combination of moves is extremely unlikely. Beale is the shadow 15, and I fully expect him to play there if Izzy is out. Mitchell is the stand out 11 reserve to replace Horne. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stays where he is. Least disruption and all players where they have been selected/training. Speight on the bench with Phipps and To'omua (Cooper only if Giteau is out and To'omua starts).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It works both ways, to be fair.

Beale's high ball skills are currently unknown, he hasn't been tested under a high ball in years. Maybe it is a weakness maybe he's good at it, no-one knows!

That's probably fair enough but I'd argue that the onus is on the accuser. However, as I have neither the time nor the proficiency to put together a highlights reel or similar I should probably assume that he doesn't either. I'd point to last week's game, Uruguay, the US and the first 2 Bledisloe games from last year as a starter.

However, I don't think Wales will be constructing a 'putting up bombs all night' strategy based on the premise that he is weak under the high ball. No doubt they will put up bombs like all NH teams do, but it won't be for that reason, they will be playing the percentage game.

Anyway, we may get to see him under a bit of pressure this week so let's just agree to base our opinion on that performance rather than any preconceptions.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
According to an authoritative source who then passed it on to less authoritative sources this is the team that CH is considering

15 Williams
14 Anscombe
13 Hook
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Biggar
9 Davies
8 Faletau
7 Tipuric
6 Warburton
5 Jones
4 Charteris
3 Lee
2 Owens
1 Jenkins

But then there's conflicting rumours as to whether Jenkins will play with some reporting that he's been told he's not involved saturday with Paul James finally fit. So, the upshot is no one is shewer. If ths is right it looks like we're gonna be using the game to try things for QF. Ook at 13 for instance. Then there's novelty in anscombe on the wing and suggestion is he's going to go for Tipuric with Warbs again. I like the idea that he's giving Ken Owens a start

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'd be in favour of picking McCalman over McMahon. McMahon played well against Uruguay, McCalman is an experienced veteran going into a big test.

In the backs I'd move Ashley-Cooper to 15 with Tomane and Mitchell on the wings. You know what you're getting from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) whereas Beale is prone to turning in an absolute stinker. Other than that I won't be mad if Beale plays 15 with Mitchell coming onto the wing (would prefer Tomane). I'd also be up for White onto the bench for Phipps, but obviously can't happen.

Really hoping Foley can back his England performance up into this one and the rest of the tournament. By far his best performance in gold because he's never played to that level before. He's sewn up the 10 jersey with that game but he needs to back it up.

This will be a much tighter test than what the bookies are predicting. Australia-Wales affairs always are and despite their injuries, Wales are a quality outfit. We also miss two massive gamebreakers in Folau and Hooper.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hey, news on who were the members of the English coaching team that tried to influence the ref at half time? At a guess, Rowntree and Farrell?

Whoever, they really need the book thrown at them.. Referees already have more than enough external pressures placed on them.

I'd say chuck them out of the tournament, but a seven point deduction would cheer me up .

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Hey, news on who were the members of the English coaching team that tried to influence the ref at half time? At a guess, Rowntree and Farrell?

Whoever, they really need the book thrown at them.. Referees already have more than enough external pressures placed on them.

I'd say chuck them out of the tournament, but a seven point deduction would cheer me up .
Really that's the first I've heard of it. but I'm not surprised. Didn't the english swap balls for Little jonny W when he was kicking conversions at the last WC. They don't think rules apply to them a lot of the time.( they invented the game so they can make rule changes if needed.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Horne is out. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were to go to 15, then we'd be looking for two new wingers. Not a fight between Mitchell and Speight for the bench spot at all, but for the other wing spot if Beale fills in for one of Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

However, I think that combination of moves is extremely unlikely. Beale is the shadow 15, and I fully expect him to play there if Izzy is out. Mitchell is the stand out 11 reserve to replace Horne. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stays where he is. Least disruption and all players where they have been selected/training. Speight on the bench with Phipps and To'omua (Cooper only if Giteau is out and To'omua starts).

Normally I would agree but Beale was strong on the wing last week.

I dont see Cooper on the bench as the Welah will throw the kitchen sink at us, so I'm thinking a 5-3 split with phipps and To'omua shoe ins, with Mitchell more likely to start and Speight off the pine.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
With the Welsh prone to play two fetchers, McMahon appears to be the logical choice, he plays a lot like Hooper as well

More interested to see who gets picked for Horne, and if Folau is out, the bench

Assuming both out

15 Beale
14 Tomane
13 Kuridrani
12 Gits
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
10 Foley

But the Bench ....... Cooper or Speight for Back 3 bench cover?

Cooper can do 15 or wing at a pinch (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to cover 13)
Speight can do wing & 13 (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to cover 15)

Fark AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) becomes important

The great thing about Tomane is that he has real gas and can break open a defence on his own. I'm a big fan. Boot on him like a wet lettuce though.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
That's probably fair enough but I'd argue that the onus is on the accuser. However, as I have neither the time nor the proficiency to put together a highlights reel or similar I should probably assume that he doesn't either. I'd point to last week's game, Uruguay, the US and the first 2 Bledisloe games from last year as a starter.

However, I don't think Wales will be constructing a 'putting up bombs all night' strategy based on the premise that he is weak under the high ball. No doubt they will put up bombs like all NH teams do, but it won't be for that reason, they will be playing the percentage game.

Anyway, we may get to see him under a bit of pressure this week so let's just agree to base our opinion on that performance rather than any preconceptions.

Admittedly this was under a high ball he kicked himself:

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)

I wonder if they were blowing up over Hoopers 39 min Brown clean out...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Not sure who will cover 7, 15 and the wing... Nice change for the Wallabies to have so many good options...McCalman's experience is valuable, breakdown discipline is paramount as the Welsh have an excellent in from goal kicker...I would go with him Pocock and Fardy in the loose forwards... Bonus points don't matter here just the win, likely be a close match too so a over zealous loosie could give away a penalty at the wrong time...

Mitchell or Tomane both are doing a great job... I think Mitchell has the northern hemisphere advantage over a Wales line up... So I'd go with him even thou I'm a Tomane fan... And clearly Beale at fullback...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We'll go McCalman with McMahon on the bench, 93% sure of that. Also Mitchell and Beale into the starting teams with Speight on the bench.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Weird, and I don't want to jinx them but Wales apparently haven't had anyone injure themselves for more than a week
I wonder if Lee will be fit enough to start? Apart from 13 the Wale isn't actually too badly off now. I think I would be concerned about Jenkins against Kepu. Two very evenly matched sides though, I certainly wouldn't price it up 4/11 Aus Versus 11/5 Wales. But the market has got everything wrong so far, Wales were 3/1 to beat England and England 4/6 V Aus. Bandy legs being back is good for the Wale, only injury I am hoping for is the Ickle prick to get laryngitis so I don't have to listen to the slanderous langer. Apart from that, Gwan the Wale.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if Lee will be fit enough to start? Apart from 13 the Wale isn't actually too badly off now. I think I would be concerned about Jenkins against Kepu. Two very evenly matched sides though, I certainly wouldn't price it up 4/11 Aus Versus 11/5 Wales. But the market has got everything wrong so far, Wales were 3/1 to beat England and England 4/6 V Aus. Bandy legs being back is good for the Wale, only injury I am hoping for is the Ickle prick to get laryngitis so I don't have to listen to the slanderous langer. Apart from that, Gwan the Wale.
The 'leaked' side includes a hint that gethin isn't in it

Status
Not open for further replies.