• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've been thinking if our expected backline containing all of Foley, Mitchell, Giteau and Beale might be a bit vulnerable defensively. So I'm wondering if we might see Speight and/or To'omua start just to sure it up a bit.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I've been thinking if our expected backline containing all of Foley, Mitchell, Giteau and Beale might be a bit vulnerable defensively. So I'm wondering if we might see Speight and/or To'omua start just to sure it up a bit.

I would prefer to see Giteau sit this one out to be honest. Rib injuries generally take and age to heal and it seems like he has been carrying this one since the SA test during TRC. I think he has copped a heavy knock in the ribs every match has played since then. I would much rather he sit this one out as I am hoping to see him fit for the finals.

If he does, To'omua would be my pick to replace him, and if you wanted to get completely buck-wild with it all, give AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a run at 13 and bring in both Mitchell and Speight on the wing. Bench would be Phipps, TK, QC (Quade Cooper) (assuming Folau sits this one out also)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Holy shit! Wales' Euro-qualifier vs Bosnia is at 4:45am straight after the rugby. No chance of them showing it in Sydney I suppose?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Folau has written a piece for Fox confident that he'll be fit for this game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...ox-sports-column/story-e6frf4pu-1227561827009

Did you actually read the article?

I’M doing everything I can to get right for Wales on Sunday morning (Australian time).

Early in the first half last weekend I came down awkwardly on my ankle and felt a bit of pain. At first I thought I’d be able to run it off, but as the game went on, changing direction and accelerating at my normal levels became affected and I was eventually replaced as a precaution.

I was naturally disappointed, but fortunately it’s not a serious injury and there are bigger games on the horizon.

All of my focus this week has been on what I can control, which has meant long hours of rehab — lots of ice, mobility work in the pool and strengthening work.

Outside of that, staying off my feet as much as possible, compressing the ankle and keeping it elevated.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't sounds like he will play. Beale to 15.

Is the team announced today?

Last week they announced the team on early Thursday evening Australian time and then confirmed the bench overnight.

I assume it will be similar this week unless they have to wait until training is done to confirm whether Giteau/Folau make it through a fitness test.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Its a big chance for Welsh to get a good run to the RWC final too winning the pool... Looking back over the past year Wales have good results with many close wins like the recent one against England. Appears they're coached to play slow, hold on and grind out the win... I don't think this strategy will work against Cheika's high pace Wallabies game plan... England thought they could do the same last weekend and were overwhelmed...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Its a big chance for Welsh to get a good run to the RWC final too winning the pool. Looking back over the past year Wales have good results with many close wins like the recent one against recent England. Appears they're coached to play slow, hold on and grind out the win. I don't think this strategy will work against Cheika's Wallabies game plan. England thought they could do the same last weekend and were overwhelmed.
This strategy is not sustainable in itself.

Plus the fact that their depth has now been tested to the limit. They will inevitable suffer another injury or two. I think you will beat them thoroughly and they will test us to the limit because Fatland always gets them to play a very good game to counter our forwards.

Finally, their scrum is an utter piece of shite. You ain't winning knockout rugby with that thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Finally, their scrum is an utter piece of shite. You ain't winning knockout rugby with that thing.

You've got to think this is the area where the Wallabies hold the biggest advantage.

If we scrum well again we should really dominate them there. Starting Samson Lee should improve things for Wales but we should still win penalties and put significant pressure on the Welsh ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.