• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

... and a notional Grand Slam.

The purists will say that the Grand Slam is all 4 "Home" nations (ENG, IRE (North and Eire), SCO and WAL) at home (Twickers, Landsdowne Road, Murrayfield, & The Arms Park). Purists would probably also claim that it is only if those victories at various spiritual homes must be achieved in typical Cold and Wet mid winter NH conditions.

Stuff it I say. Beat the 4 of them in a single "tour" and that is a Grand Slam ticked off. We are halfway there.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
So RE Pocock's knee incident, to me it looks like he's using his knee as a lever point to push himself away from the Wales player. So he puts his knee on his chest, then pushes himself back, and the player can't follow him with the hold, since his knee in the way. Doesn't seem like a 'strike' to me, but it's definitely deliberate. It would be akin to putting your hand on someones chest to push yourself away, and softly at that. To me, this is nowhere near as bad as Hooper last week, and that only got a week, so this should be at most a yellow card citing, especially since his record is even more squeaky clean than Hoops. Having said that, who knows with the judiciary.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just a brilliant game. So glad it wasn't critical. Otherwise I'd be suicidal

Reports of your short little red friend being seen at QANTAS check in desk at Terminal 1 at Kingsford Smith Airport at 6am today. Little runt was after a business class upgrade on Frequent Flier points on QF1. Reportedly had a grin from ear to ear that Shannon Lush would not be able to wipe off.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
. and a notional Grand Slam.

The purists will say that the Grand Slam is all 4 "Home" nations (ENG, IRE (North and Eire), SCO and WAL) at home (Twickers, Landsdowne Road, Murrayfield, & The Arms Park). Purists would probably also claim that it is only if those victories at various spiritual homes must be achieved in typical Cold and Wet mid winter NH conditions.

Stuff it I say. Beat the 4 of them in a single "tour" and that is a Grand Slam ticked off. We are halfway there.
Don't count your chickens yet huw. You were out played for most of that game and in many individual match ups. Survived due to massive tickers and defensive skill. Even with the gnome whispering in my ear I wouldn't back Wales to beat Ireland every game. There are aspects where Ireland that are better than us.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Th
Reports of your short little red friend being seen at QANTAS check in desk at Terminal 1 at Kingsford Smith Airport at 6am today. Little runt was after a business class upgrade on Frequent Flier points on QF1. Reportedly had a grin from ear to ear that Shannon Lush would not be able to wipe off.
That's where he went! I had him bound and gagged in a cupboard after he appeared in a leopard skin g string dancing on the sofa when the teams were announced

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ook to start at 13, Morgan to Bench, Cuthbert permanently exiled?

Now that Byron Kelliher has opened up his kiwi bar in France, GunstonCorp's recruitment agency Pillock, Pillock, Dagg, Pillock, Whitelock-Braid and Pillock are looking for more staff at GunstonCorp Inc's swish new World Corporate HQ in the Pitcairn Islands. Another victim employee perhaps?

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Just watched the Cuthbert knock down again. I'd just like to vote it the worst example of a deliberate knock on i've seen in years. It was a dam shame Foley was so tired it looked like he could hardly swing his leg.
But how do we top the last 2 weeks of rugby.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
So RE Pocock's knee incident, to me it looks like he's using his knee as a lever point to push himself away from the Wales player. So he puts his knee on his chest, then pushes himself back, and the player can't follow him with the hold, since his knee in the way. Doesn't seem like a 'strike' to me, but it's definitely deliberate. It would be akin to putting your hand on someones chest to push yourself away, and softly at that. To me, this is nowhere near as bad as Hooper last week, and that only got a week, so this should be at most a yellow card citing, especially since his record is even more squeaky clean than Hoops. Having said that, who knows with the judiciary.
Tbh this debate isn't gonna get anywhere. I've given up trying to follow or understand the rwc judiciary. Especially after tuilagi for Samoa. It's a nothing incident that someone may or may not cite. If he gets cited and misses a game imo it's no bad thing. I'd rest him for Scotland anyway and give him time to be fully fit for Ireland/France/argentina

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just watched the Cuthbert knock down again. I'd just like to vote it the worst example of a deliberate knock on i've seen in years. It was a dam shame Foley was so tired it looked like he could hardly swing his leg.
But how do we top the last 2 weeks of rugby.
Nothing cuthbert does works. Absolutely idiotic forearm smash. If you can get that much hand onto the ball why the fuck wouldn't you go for the intercept

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Just got back in and reviewing comments. A few asking how Wales failed to score when they dominated second half.

We're re-watching it right now -- my wife's first viewing -- and she has no end of complaints. She went in hoping for Wales, and by about the 55th minute said "Fuck it, I want Australia to win." Other choice words: "Work harder, not smarter," "not inventive," and "stubborn."

One thing I noticed in that interminable goal-line stand was how long it'd take Wales to get the ball out wide once they drew in some defenders. It was just a matter of a couple of seconds, but it was enough. They had a natural 2-man overlap and didn't seem know it. Even when they tried that maul and somehow Australia held them at the try line, they kept it there just long enough for the Wallabies to re-organize their defense, and by the time they got it out wide, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Beale were in place and got the turnover.

Now she's saying she doesn't want to see Gatland on the teevee anymore. Time to turn it off.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

We're re-watching it right now -- my wife's first viewing -- and she has no end of complaints. She went in hoping for Wales, and by about the 55th minute said "Fuck it, I want Australia to win." Other choice words: "Work harder, not smarter," "not inventive," and "stubborn."

One thing I noticed in that interminable goal-line stand was how long it'd take Wales to get the ball out wide once they drew in some defenders. It was just a matter of a couple of seconds, but it was enough. They had a natural 2-man overlap and didn't seem know it. Even when they tried that maul and somehow Australia held them at the try line, they kept it there just long enough for the Wallabies to re-organize their defense, and by the time they got it out wide, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Beale were in place and got the turnover.

Now she's saying she doesn't want to see Gatland on the teevee anymore. Time to turn it off.
Australia didn't have to mark up out wide. Ball was never gonna get past north. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cold come inside where he eventually got the turnover

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kane Douglas.

I don't think there is a lock in the world that works harder than this guy.

There was whinging and whining way back when he was first selected and people didn't understand what he does. It's all 100%

Yep I think we all now know why Cheika was so desparate to have Douglas in his squad. He has been immense in the pool games and stepped up a couple of gears in last 2 matches.

Worth also noting that thought Foley followed up his last match with another very good performance, who was also subject of much conjecture as starting 10. Think won't have much noise on that front now also. Good to also see better acceptance and understanding of what Giteau does for this team as well. Another player who was subject to a lot of conjecture on merits of having him as starting 12 who has so far proved the doubters very wrong.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
What was happening with the Aussie lineouts? Why did the go for quick throw ins and 'funnies' rather than standard throws

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Nothing cuthbert does works. Absolutely idiotic forearm smash. If you can get that much hand onto the ball why the fuck wouldn't you go for the intercept

He has priors this tournament. They just caught up with him this time.

ForcefulFlamboyantJunco.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.