• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Leaving aside the Eden Park clusterfuck, which I'm prepared to mark off as an anomaly, our defence has been near impenetrable whilst both Hooper and Pocock are on the field.

Teams are really going to need to use their kicking game to work their way into our half. I think Fiji could come unstuck here. They'll no doubt try to attack from their own half, but unless our systems fail us completely I'd say they'll have little success.

One thing that does concern me a little bit is that a lot of teams have looked horribly rusty in their first game back. SA and NZ in particular looked off their usual pace. England were unable to find much rhythm, likewise Tonga came unstuck despite having the bulk of possession. I'm hoping the Wallabies don't follow suit. We cant afford a slow start.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Leaving aside the Eden Park clusterfuck, which I'm prepared to mark off as an anomaly, our defence has been near impenetrable whilst both Hooper and Pocock are on the field.

Teams are really going to need to use their kicking game to work their way into our half. I think Fiji could come unstuck here. They'll no doubt try to attack from their own half, but unless our systems fail us completely I'd say they'll have little success.

One thing that does concern me a little bit is that a lot of teams have looked horribly rusty in their first game back. SA and NZ in particular looked off their usual pace. England were unable to find much rhythm, likewise Tonga came unstuck despite having the bulk of possession. I'm hoping the Wallabies don't follow suit. We cant afford a slow start.

Although I'd say Volavola has a better kicking game then Foley.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Pocock started at number 8 against the All Blacks in Sydney and has played there in the second half of most tests this year when Hooper and Pocock have been on the field together.

Pocock's ball running has improved out of sight this year and he looks to be clearly our best number 8.

It's all about getting two of our best players on the field together. Their styles are quiet different and complementary which also makes it more appealing.

Thanks for clarifying....I do have a memory like a sieve. I knew they started together before, just thought it was as 2 flankers.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Australia will crush Fiji by 40+ Fiji have already shown they are not up to this WC and will decide its easier to go home and drink some kava

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty good side, the biggest question to me is having both Skelton and Mumm on the bench, I think McCalman could have added more flexibility

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Qwerty Just making an observation, they play England then 4 days later they play the other fancied team of the group, what if you had to play Wales then England 4 days later, Huh!

Fiji have a 5 day turnaround between England and Australia.

Point I had made Dai, I can see where Gwerty coming form with Wallabies having tough draw, just think this first week for Fiji is over the top, but anyway the draw is the draw. You would imagine Wallabies should take this comfortably, I imagine the Fijians will be a tad tired (not using it as an excuse for them), and tend to think the Wallabies will be a better team anyway. Looking forward to game regardless.

The improvement this RWC is that almost all the teams have a midweek game whereas last RWC pretty much all the top countries just had weekend games for the TV ratings and the 2nd tier sides copped the terrible draws.

One thing that is important to remember for Fiji is that as the fourth ranked team in the pool there are far more fixture combinations which will look tough for them in terms of handling a short turnaround than for Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty good side, the biggest question to me is having both Skelton and Mumm on the bench, I think McCalman could have added more flexibility

I think it is on the basis of the preferred substitutions rather than providing the most/best coverage in case of injury.

It's hard to know whether Fardy or Mumm is the reserve number 8. I'd guess Mumm. Skelton is another potential there but I would bet against that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

But Skelton and Mumm add more impact - both proven impact players from previous Tests this year. Without trying to undermine Fiji's abilities I think flexibility is less important in this game.

I am actually impressed with our bench - every player will add impact.
-

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
How can you type Qwerty wrong, Stan?

It's the ultimate lazy man's username. Barely two-fingered typing, it's closer to one!

Makes Chopsticks seem like Rachmaninoff.

Fair enough Kiap, can I admit I never noticed the letters on top of the keyboard:oops:, as soon as I read your reply, I gave myself a clip under the ear for being almost as dumb as.........I dunno Qwerty???

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fair enough Kiap, can I admit I never noticed the letters on top of the keyboard:oops:, as soon as I read your reply, I gave myself a clip under the ear for being almost as dumb as...I dunno Qwerty???

Yeah sorry, Dan. I rudely interrupted but couldn't resist the opportunity to chuck in a jibe.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, Dai bando, I had similar problems about 12 months ago. It was suggested by the brains on G&GR that I switch to Google Chrome. I did so, and have had no problems since!
Same. The quote function doesn't work reliably in IE.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Starting Forward packs are even at 903kg.

Wallabies gain 27kg with the replacement front rows.

Another 20kg when Skelton comes on.

Wallabies starting XV av 48 Tests v Fiji av 22 Tests.

Average age of XXIII about the same (Fiji 28yo:27yo Wallabies)

Status
Not open for further replies.