• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Y
What does McKee see in Volavola?

He obviously has a big point to prove to Cheika however.

Yeah! He will either have a howler doing too much or the game of his life trying to show Cheika he was worth a team spot. I do hope its the former and not the latter.

In reference to comments on wing selections for this game. I am pretty sure we will see Mitchell on one wing against England because of his kicking. Horne is there to cover Nadolo running down the 10 channel. It will be "horses for courses" right through to the final.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It should be pointed out that Volavola left the Waratahs because he couldn't get a starting role. He certainly wasn't cut from the squad. He was considered a rising young player with excellent potential.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Qwerty Just making an observation, they play England then 4 days later they play the other fancied team of the group, what if you had to play Wales then England 4 days later, Huh!

You are setting yourself up for trouble there Dai

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Point I had made Dai, I can see where Gwerty coming form with Wallabies having tough draw, just think this first week for Fiji is over the top, but anyway the draw is the draw. You would imagine Wallabies should take this comfortably, I imagine the Fijians will be a tad tired (not using it as an excuse for them), and tend to think the Wallabies will be a better team anyway. Looking forward to game regardless.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really highlights our depth that we can afford to select based on a 'horses for courses' policy; cases in point: Horne > Mitchell and Tomane, Genia > Phipps, Simmons > Mumm (who'd have said Mumm would be in calculations a few months ago!)

Expecting SMF to have a huge game. By all reports, Genia has impressed in training, so if he cuts out that two-step skip pass - or uses it sparingly - he should hopefully fire as well!

I'm absolutely pumped! Go you good things

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think the only really strange selection is that of Mumm as the bench loosie over mccalman. It probably points to us finishing with Skelton and Mumm in the row and the starting loosies. However it means there isn't an experienced 8 in the squad.

I'm guessing it's because Ben is a leader for the Uruguay game and they want to keep him fresh so that he lasts 80 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who would likely move to 8 in the event that Pocock has to come from the field (touch wood he does not though)? Fardy? Mumm?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Piap, somehow I don't think he's unintentionally typing it incorrectly.

Deadset, DC. I'm going to have to correct you, mate. It's Kiap - rhymes with Gee up. :oops:

I'd left a few hooks in too. Was hoping to be picked up on Rachmaninoff versus Rachmaninov, but it's too early in the morning...

Anyway, I've had my fun.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"Cheika stressed it was a great opportunity for the duo, who now get the chance to lock down the spots for the remainder of the tournament."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ock-and-michael-hooper-in-tandem-against-fiji

Umm if that's the case why play Pocock out of position? Is he really a number 8...genuine question..I was not aware he'd had a test start there?

Pocock started at number 8 against the All Blacks in Sydney and has played there in the second half of most tests this year when Hooper and Pocock have been on the field together.

Pocock's ball running has improved out of sight this year and he looks to be clearly our best number 8.

It's all about getting two of our best players on the field together. Their styles are quiet different and complementary which also makes it more appealing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Umm if that's the case why play Pocock out of position? Is he really a number 8...genuine question..I was not aware he'd had a test start there?

He started there against the All Blacks... and dominated Reid.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Dont forget that Fardy and Pooper are able to play the 80 so baring injury I don't think they need to be taken off as they will get the next game off or come off the bench for the last 20-15. I also think Mumm has filled in at 8 in the past.
Also Palu is out again with a hamstring this time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock probably has a longer reach which is better for the back of the scrums, plus Hooper is more mobile and quicker and he has shown he is really good at detaching from the side of the scrum quickly to cover attackers - think of his tackle on Schaulk Burger in the rugby Championship. Although admittedly he probably detaches too early sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.