• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
OK yes that was probably a small surprise but if not for his injury I'm sure he would have started in Bled 2. The 9/10/12 were no doubt the most mystifying final selections but all could have gone any way.

I'm sure the best option emerged in training.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
While both sides gain on the dry track that Millennium provides, the Fijiians will gain a lot more relatively. Still, they "shouldn't" be a problem, especially given that they're coming off the short break of the Tournament opener and the Wallabies are planning on using the same starting XV that'll play against England.
Keith Earls was saying that the conditions for the Ireland V Canada game were not very good, they watered the grass before the game and turned the place into a giant greasy sweat box.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Strong team. I suspect Cheika believes this is our best 23.

Im still not sure about the 10/12 combination. But both have a steady hand so im happy enough.

As already mentioned, defensively this team is really going to be a tough nut to crack. I think its the right choice against Fiji.

This could be close but that bench should pit things beyond doubt.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
No bench back rowers is interesting. I would have guessed Skelton and Mumm were playing for 1 spot with Palu/McMahon/McCalman the other.

Otherwise looks good to me.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks to me like the 3 starting backrowers in the Uruguay match will be playing off for a bench spot against England/Wales. I think Cheika thought putting one on the bench for this game would indicate he's leaning towards them but this way he can create a big competitive drive from the 3 in the Uruguay match.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The starting back row are all good for 80 without injury. He did the same in Sydney, naming two locks on the bench. Mumm covers 6 as well.
I would guess he will do the same for England.

Reactions: BDA

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Qwerty Just making an observation, they play England then 4 days later they play the other fancied team of the group, what if you had to play Wales then England 4 days later, Huh!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Apparently Fiji making very few changes.
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to elite sports, but surely a 5 day turn around would be quite achievable so long as you weren't doing it every week.

Is it that big of a deal or do we fans make more of it than really matters.

In lots of the major sports in the US they regularly roll on 3 and 4 day turnarounds for the complete regular season.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fiji:

1. Campese Ma’afu
2. Tuapati Talemaitoga
3. Manasa Saulo
4. Tevita Cavubati
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Peceli Yato
7. Akapusi Qera (captain)
8. Netani Talei
9. Nikola Matawalu
10. Ben Volavola
11. Nemani Nadolo
12. Gabiriele Lovobalavu
13. Vereniki Goneva
14. Waisea Nayacalevu
15. Metuisela Talebula

16. Viliame Veikoso 17. Peni Ravai 18. Isei Colati 19. Nemia Soqeta 20. Malakai Ravulo 21. Nemia Kenatale 22. Joshua Matavesi 23. Aseli Tikoirotuma

So changes at 2, 6 and 8 from the match with England. I can't believe that Volavola has retained his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.