• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Mr. Deans has done his coaching job of the Wannabes well and just to remind people he is a kiwi who has learned his rugby craft in NZ.
Great to see some consistency coming back into the selections and Mr. James O'Connor warming the bench ready to play. Its a pity the Wannabes don't have alot of depth in their ranks just in case there are serious injuries. James Horwill appears to have the measure of being captain but can he lead? Can the Wannabes forwards mix it with the Big teams? Perhaps the team can only play one dimensional and rely on kicking? The Wannabes will have a good win against Italy, they'll be a few bruises and maybe injuries but a good performance is required and now is the time to do it!!!

You lost me at the one-dimensional kicking part, jumpers old boy.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Hey Groucho,

why was Jumper's spelling edited by cyclopath?

Mr. Deans has done his coaching job blah blah blah...

Last edited by cyclopath; Today at 09:19 AM. Reason: Fucked up spelling

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jumpers, you spelt Wallabies wrong champ.

Also, can you name a RWC squad with better depth than the Wallabies? I'm struggling to think of one.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Mr. Deans has done his coaching job of the Wannabes well and just to remind people he is a kiwi who has learned his rugby craft in NZ.
Great to see some consistency coming back into the selections and Mr. James O'Connor warming the bench ready to play. Its a pity the Wannabes don't have alot of depth in their ranks just in case there are serious injuries. James Horwill appears to have the measure of being captain but can he lead? Can the Wannabes forwards mix it with the Big teams? Perhaps the team can only play one dimensional and rely on kicking? The Wannabes will have a good win against Italy, they'll be a few bruises and maybe injuries but a good performance is required and now is the time to do it!!!
Using the word Wannabes instead of Wallabies was not really funny or clever the first time, but surely by the fourth time you would have realised this.

Far too much comedy for one post

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I said a while ago that by post 15 we'd know if Jumpers was a comedic genius or not.

It didn't take 15 posts.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I know that there is a gulf in class between the NH and the SH, or at least there's supposed to be, but having Italy first could be a disaster for the Wallabies.
1. The Italians might win. That's unlikely, but hardly impossible, especially if Italy can get a few penalties at scrum time.
2. A Wallaby victory will come at the cost of bumps and bruises. The Italians hit hard, and might disrupt preparation for the Ireland game.
3. A key player might get injured. That seems to be the main worry of people on the forum, but it's a fair shout. Genia looks like a key man, and if I Parisse, I'd try to get hold of him.
4. A squeaky victory and the press - and the Irish - will be after the Wallabies. Sorry to say it, but Aussie media is as fickle as the English when it comes to the national team. Unless it's a stroll - which it surely won't be - some people will not be satisfied with a victory.

All things considered, getting the tougher test of the Irish out of the way first might have been better.

Thoughts?

I think the biggest thing to come out of the first two days of competition is that the "minnows" have all showed huge resolve in defence and pushed their alledged superiors all the way and could have had upsets against Scotland and England. Only the ABs came out of their first pool game so far largely unscathed in terms of their performance, though some questions are being asked about some of the AB forwards the other Tier 1 teams are being viewed in a whole new light, especially given they have all played much more rugby (and recently) than the "minnows opposing them had let alone the fact that some of those minnow players remain amateur.

The Wallabies would be very silly to take Italy lightly or expect a win here. Italy usually causes them problems anyway, and I think they will be pumped for this game giving their ndefence even more sting and energy.

One last thing on Gower not being there for Italy. I can't say I rated him at all in the matches he has played for Italy. He was always predictable and slow IMO, so the change whilst reducing experience and it must be said consistancy, is a good thing as Italy may actually launch some kind of back line atack now.

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Podcast suggestions: would be great to hear what Woody or Matt Taylor have to say about this Italy game regardless of the result.

Having gone to Marseille to be humiliated by England (again) in 2007, I hope the Wallabies understand that there are no mulligans at the RWC.

Please treat every game like it is your last.

Go Australia. We stand united behind you.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Most important thing about this game for me is to shut the Italians out early, take our shots at goal when they are given and don't get complacent when in the lead. Our subs need as much time as possible, so let's get them on early by taking a big lead. Bonus point doesn't matter too much right now, it is more than likely that the Italians will qualify second so lets just try get a win and worry about that stuff later. Also important not to concede, they don't pack much punch in the back-line so any attack will be through their large forward pack and can be defended in numbers.

It's time.

B

BRIX

I'm so pumped I can't go to sleep. It's 4:49 am here and kick off is at 7:30 am local time. I've read the threads, watched all the pressers and browsed all the online articles. No-way are the Wallabies taking this lightly - they're fired up and there will be no complaisance from the players IMO. Now all I gotta do is stay awake...

On a side note, I felt Rocky's attitude and interview in front of the camera highlighted we he isn't a Captain, he's got this snarly sort of ego driven character. It's almost as if he plays well out of spite at times. Anyway - on the other hand I saw an unbenign sort of thirst in Kev's eyes. His men know exactly what needs to be done and have been waiting to do it.

Mal M Fike

Frank Row (1)
It's my first post here. I love the site and the informative threads.
Boy am I nervous and the heavy showers and winds have me like a cat on the old hot tin roof.
To my thinking this game was always going to be a tough one for us and in the mud it is going to be even tougher.

I hope the boys do us and themselves proud.

Mal M Fike

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Sully. I'm in the same area as you and I wish they had our weather over there. I'm hoping the Italian team are not mud-trackers either.
I just don't want us to be on the receiving end of the first RWC upset.

In my heart I feel we have the team to go all the way but we are going to get frights along the way.

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Mal & Sully I agree with you guys that the weather has thrown an extra little concern in there, but I think there's going to be more of it. They can't go all the way if they can't modify their play to suit the conditions. I'm sure they've prepared for this. On another point I know all the lead up in the media has been about how the Italians love the physical contest. However I had a look at the team profiles on the RWC official website and the Wallabies pack might actually be bigger. I don't know this for sure but this has to be one of the heaviest packs we've had for a fair while and certainly if they come out with the aggression they show in the 3N in Brisbane, the wet weather may be a godsend. Also it'll be interesting to see how the outside backs and QC (Quade Cooper) modify their play if it's a mud bath. The kicking and positional play has to be spot on. Let's go!!!

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Weather clearing Up looking better for a dry game other than underfoot and very blustery.

Go the Azzurri.

Status
Not open for further replies.