• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Week 2 - thread for matches without a match thread*

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
"It's not too dissimilar from the last time we had this referee."

Are you fucking shitting me?

Fuck this sook.

Penning a stern letter tonight to NZRFU recommending striking the name Joe Schmidt from list of future potential All Black coaches.

Do they have a postal system in the Pitcairns or do you just put the letter in a bottle, tie the bottle to a turtle, and hope it swims in the direction of civilisation?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wow Japan V Ireland... what a game. Japan looking good going through phases, great into contact, and full of energy and passion.

Amazing game.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They should only need to beat Samoa to get through, right?

If they beat Samoa they could still miss out if they lose to Scotland (and both Scotland and Ireland also beat Samoa). All teams would have 1 loss so it would come down to bonus points and potentially points difference. Ireland would be pretty much certainties to make the quarters in this scenario as they got the 4 try bonus point against Scotland and the losing bonus point against Japan.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A very exciting pool now, all Samoa, Scotland, Ireland and Japan can make it through. You'd still back Ireland, and Japan will need to replicate what they did today against Samoa and Scotland but still very tough games

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I still remember watching the japan v boks game live last world cup. if im comparing, that was probably a bigger moment but this was still a similar feel-good moment..heading into this world cup japan was the team I really wanted to do well and it was so satisfying to see them succeed...and they deserve it. of all the second tier rugby nations, they are the country that has made the most progress in the last 4 years and I hope this solidifies them as a top 10 nation for years to come. what a moment for the japanese. i love it.

I also have irish heritage and a lot of irish mates here in aus so i feel for them. tough break. just like the fiji / uraguay game it goes to show, if you underestimate your opponent in 2019 you're in trouble

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's safe to say most of us were hoping Japan would beat the Scots last time to go through, but it didn't happen...........

It's too soon to tell, but if the Scots play like they did against Ireland then Japan should top the pool.

The exciting attacking Scottish team from a few years ago seems a distant memory to what they were last week, which was Hogg kick, Hogg kick, Hogg kick.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm stoked for Japan. They play a high tempo exciting brand of footy and are fearsomely committed in contact. I think they totally deserved their win today.

Can I also point out that I'm glad that Gardner was wise to Ireland's cynical play at the breakdown. Lying all over the ball and flopping over the ruck not supporting your weight shits me.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well,

Earlier this week I told a former colleague of mine how ironic it would be if Japan beat both Ire and Sco (and Samoa as well).

That could mean AB v Ireland after all.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why did that Irish spud kick it dead at the end?

Can't find the exact quote but Carberry said the ball came to him quite quickly, no-one was calling for it & he didn't think there was much on so he decided to protect the losing BP & I think it was the right call. Even if they somehow went 100m against that defence a draw is only an extra point so why take the risk of Japan running it back & taking the BP off you?

EDIT: found it:

"I suppose we were under pressure and there wasn't too much happening at the time," Carbery said.

"The ball kinda came quickly to me. I knew we were still in with a losing bonus point and I didn't see too many other options on, so I just put it out.

"I didn't hear anything [calls from team-mates] but I suppose the ball got turned over so quickly and like I said, I haven't seen it back. At the time, I thought it was the best option."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...rs-decision-to-kick-for-touch-in-japan-defeat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well,

Earlier this week I told a former colleague of mine how ironic it would be if Japan beat both Ire and Sco (and Samoa as well).

That could mean AB v Ireland after all.

Funny that Ullrich, I was in conversation with a mate yesterday, he wondered how many points Ireland would run up against japan, although I thought they would win I said not much as they don't have the game to really bury a team, not enough pace etc, reason I don't think they will win cup. by geez they lack imagination with ball in hand, if the ball goes to centres it seems to be only so they can turn it back infield. Another point I thought, obviously Joseph is doing good job as coach, as is Tony Brown ,their skill level is pretty good etc, but their forward coach deserves a bloody lot of credit as does their defence coach, can't be buggerd looking up who they are, but they doing great job.

And an addition Michael Leitich was incredible when he came on. Certainly makes for interesting pool now doesn't it!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And here is a link to awrite up in Limerick news after Irish had beaten Scotland, where the writer suggests Japan, Samoa and Russia are basically training runs! This is not a dig at Irish, but just shows how far removed some so called sports writers are from what they meant to be writing about!! We all seen similar in Aus and NZ etc, but wouldn't you love to meet him today?
https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/...-could-have-been-avoided-donn-o-sullivan.html

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What a load of overblown hype that article was. Be interesting to read Donnie's next piece of prose.

Maybe this match brought out the fact Ireland are perfectly comfortable playing against fellow NH sides but struggle against a team from elsewhere. And before I get howled down by those pointing out Ireland's recent wins in Oz and the two victories against the ABs, maybe Japan's performance was so different (and unexpected) the Paddies didn't know how to adapt.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wow Japan V Ireland. what a game. Japan looking good going through phases, great into contact, and full of energy and passion.

Amazing game.
This is great result commercially for the game as Japan major growth market for world rugby and rugby in Asia.World rugby would be pretty rapt with this result as marketing wise gold for promoting the game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Funny that Ullrich, I was in conversation with a mate yesterday, he wondered how many points Ireland would run up against japan, although I thought they would win I said not much as they don't have the game to really bury a team, not enough pace etc, reason I don't think they will win cup. by geez they lack imagination with ball in hand, if the ball goes to centres it seems to be only so they can turn it back infield. Another point I thought, obviously Joseph is doing good job as coach, as is Tony Brown ,their skill level is pretty good etc, but their forward coach deserves a bloody lot of credit as does their defence coach, can't be buggerd looking up who they are, but they doing great job.

And an addition Michael Leitich was incredible when he came on. Certainly makes for interesting pool now doesn't it!!

Yep it was their defence that win them the game as was impressive how if Ireland made a break how quickly they closed it down

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
And here is a link to awrite up in Limerick news after Irish had beaten Scotland, where the writer suggests Japan, Samoa and Russia are basically training runs! This is not a dig at Irish, but just shows how far removed some so called sports writers are from what they meant to be writing about!! We all seen similar in Aus and NZ etc, but wouldn't you love to meet him today?
https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/...-could-have-been-avoided-donn-o-sullivan.html
Delicious article.

"So, the games against Japan, Russia and Samoa are effectively training exercises to perfect the 'process' for Ireland's last eight tie.

There is no need to build this trio of games up in any way. Ireland are going to win them all and win them all well."