• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S18 on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not to be conspiratorial or anything, but to me, that looks slightly like Japan has been put in the "weaker SA" pool and Argies in the tougher pool so that they can try and ensure 3 South African teams in the finals.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not to be conspiratorial or anything, but to me, that looks slightly like Japan has been put in the "weaker SA" pool and Argies in the tougher pool so that they can try and ensure 3 South African teams in the finals.

Hmmm. It could be so. Another "Pool of Death".

Might backfire, too.

Buenos Aires Repats to the finals!! (also considering B.A Upper Classes, or High Brows, or B.A. Portas. )

The B.A. ZA Routers?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Supposed Super Rugby Africa Conferences:

Sharks
Lions
Kings
Japan

Bulls
Cheetahs
Stormers
Argentina

o_O

seriously?!

So the Sharks basically get to top the ladder for the rest of eternity. Time to get on Sportsbet.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I imagine the South African conferences could change year to year. I'd think that if they were set in stone that the Bulls and Lions would be in the same conference for example.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
More signings for Argentina. They're looking like a proper Test side. I get the feeling they're going to be too strong for the rest.

Yes Argentina super rugby looking very strong...definitely right move by allowing other countries into Super Rugby as strength of rugby is in its international presence...and stronger rugby nations outside of usual northern and southern hemisphere heavyweights is only good thing.

Would love a pacfic islanders super rugby side but yes appreciate economics don't stack up...which pity as league pushing into pacific island nations to poach the talent there...

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yes Argentina super rugby looking very strong.definitely right move by allowing other countries into Super Rugby as strength of rugby is in its international presence.and stronger rugby nations outside of usual northern and southern hemisphere heavyweights is only good thing.

Would love a pacfic islanders super rugby side but yes appreciate economics don't stack up.which pity as league pushing into pacific island nations to poach the talent there.
The Argies need to have two teams in the same conference to have better odds of finals and to build a larger player base for internationals

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon eventually will see 2 Argie sides in time in Super Rugby..

Fantastic to see Puma's first included in Rugby Championship and now in Super rugby and already seeing improvements in the quality of their rugby from this.

Like to see Georgia included in Six nations - as reckon they could also improve leaps and bounds if included....

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: Georgia in the 6 Nations, not gonna happen. It "shouldn't" be the case, but there's minimal commercial incentive to go there, now or in the future, plus the Georgian club system is decidedly amateur compared to the Italians, even prior to the 2 Pro12 teams. And then they, in arguably their strongest era ever struggling to beat even us consistently when we've not had a genuine world class player since Ford in 09 Lions tour form and Patterson at 07 cup form.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I reckon eventually will see 2 Argie sides in time in Super Rugby..

Fantastic to see Puma's first included in Rugby Championship and now in Super rugby and already seeing improvements in the quality of their rugby from this.

Like to see Georgia included in Six nations - as reckon they could also improve leaps and bounds if included..

The vast majority of Georgian players playing at the top professional level in Europe are in the Top 14, and of those they're almost entirely forwards -- props, locks, and a few flankers.

They produce a certain kind of human in the Caucasus Mountains.

B

Bazarov

Re: Georgia in the 6 Nations, not gonna happen. It "shouldn't" be the case, but there's minimal commercial incentive to go there, now or in the future, plus the Georgian club system is decidedly amateur compared to the Italians, even prior to the 2 Pro12 teams. And then they, in arguably their strongest era ever struggling to beat even us consistently when we've not had a genuine world class player since Ford in 09 Lions tour form and Patterson at 07 cup form.
Annually have a playoff against the winner of 6 Nations A (albeit the 6 Nations A runs over 2 years) against the last placed 6 Nations side.

Done.

B

Bazarov

The vast majority of Georgian players playing at the top professional level in Europe are in the Top 14, and of those they're almost entirely forwards -- props, locks, and a few flankers.

They produce a certain kind of human in the Caucasus Mountains.
They sure do.

Of the Georgians playing professionally there is a huge percentage of props.

(Fijians are almost an exact reverse image with outside backs to the fore etc etc.)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
So we need a Georgian/Fiji super team?

marty-feldman.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Southern Kngs reportedly in all kinds of shit but it's all good, Mourad Boudjellal has a rescue plan:

* Kings become the Mandela Kings
* SARU takes on their debt (saw a figure of $US 8.5M quoted in another story)
* He, personally, gets their cut of the TV rights money
* Bokke play a Test every year at Mandela Bay (difficult but doable) AND Toulon

Cheeky Watson says it's madness but French billionaires do have a habit of eventually getting what they want.............

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/toulon-owner-makes-offer-to-buy-kings/

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The competition is enough of a farce already, without Comic Book Guy getting involved. Besides, I wouldn't think SARU would be keen on giving up much of their broadcasting money.

Status
Not open for further replies.