• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueandRed

Frank Row (1)
I think IS has summed it up best - very few children end up professionals. My club (one of the largest in Sydney) has not produced a Super player for 16 years - hundreds of First XV boys, maybe 10-20 SS 1sts players. Kids should be allowed to play with their neighbourhood friends and be part of a tribe that will support them through life

Huge, do some Dads see changing clubs as a way to get their boys into the scholarship game?
I will give my perspective on this. My son who is a pretty good all round athlete switched from a lower Division Village club to an A Division club this year after playing for one season.
The reason he did this was to get a better level of coaching and to play with team mates with a similar skill level. He was already playing rep and would have still made it without moving. However, it was important to him (not me) to be stretched when playing his sport (whichever one it may be at the time). His coaching and development are important to him in Rugby as is his coaching and development in his other activities.
I had not been involved in junior rugby until last season but I find it a bit bemusing that clubs could be bothered to poach players from all over the place to win a junior comp. By the time most kids get home they could not care less whether they won or lost as long as they had a bit of fun doing it. The parents obviously do care.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Scholarships? What's in it for the Schools? For the boys? For their parents?

It's all about success! In life we all love this. We all crave it. And at GPS level we're all happy to bask in it even if we have to pay for it.

Schools measure success differently be it through consistence academic success (High and Grammar and to a slightly lesser degree Shore) or all round success (King's and View) or through just sporting success (Scots and New) or through just rugby (Joeys).

Sportswise at GPS level rugby is the main distinguishing factor as it is the oldest competitive GPS sport. It's also the manliest ( modern day translation = most jock) of sports given its gladiatorial and adversarial nature where victory equates to physical superiority and the satisfaction of the most primal instincts.
Rugby accordingly is and has always been the benchmark for success at GPS level and Ipso facto hence the reason why there are scholarships.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Scholarships? What's in it for the Schools? For the boys? For their parents?

It's all about success! In life we all love this. We all crave it. And at GPS level we're all happy to bask in it even if we have to pay for it.

Schools measure success differently be it through consistence academic success (High and Grammar and to a slightly lesser degree Shore) or all round success (King's and View) or through just sporting success (Scots and New) or through just rugby (Joeys).

Sportswise at GPS level rugby is the main distinguishing factor as it is the oldest competitive GPS sport. It's also the manliest ( modern day translation = most jock) of sports given its gladiatorial and adversarial nature where victory equates to physical superiority and the satisfaction of the most primal instincts.
Rugby accordingly is and has always been the benchmark for success at GPS level and Ipso facto hence the reason why there are scholarships.

D'oh - and here's me thinking that these venerable educators were wanting to better the lot of a young student !!!
Yes- Success is good, but it's even better when it's honest and not compromised, grown and not bought !!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On that front, it would appear that many of the leading Brisbane private schools are taking the fight back to league, unapologetically swooping on talented juniors before the NRL clubs lock them away for the immediate future.
Brian Edwards, the shrewd Canberra Raiders scout in the fiercely-contested Logan region, said rugby scouts had been feasting on 14- and 15-year-old players from the region west of Brisbane, seducing them with scholarships and the prospect of a costly GPS education.
"Recently, there was the Queensland Under 15 championships at Wynnum. Out of that championship, nearly 20 players didn't return too the school that they went to those championships from," Edwards said.
"They started their next term at a private school. That system has gone as crazy as I've ever seen it. Schools have now got their Under 15 and Under 14 sides choc full of league players. They have really upped the ante.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/league-outskilling-union--by-some-margin-20130910-2ti7z.html

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The big thing that should be taken from that article is not the scholarship line, but the player development line. It confirms what I've been saying on other threads for some time; the vast majority of the current Wallabies have been in ARU or state union academy/elite programs since they were 15 or 16 years old, and what do we have?

Tight forwards who can't scrum, backs who can't catch and pass both sides, an embarrassing inability to kick in general play and no instinct to realign quickly in either attack or defence. All of these are fairly generic skills, which should form the foundation of a player's development.

I have no problem recruiting boys from league, in fact I endorse it, although not in the sporting scholarship context.

We think we're so superior to league, but, it's run better and it develops talent better.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Tight forwards who can't scrum, backs who can't catch and pass both sides, an embarrassing inability to kick in general play and no instinct to realign quickly in either attack or defence. All of these are fairly generic skills, which should form the foundation of a player's development.

You forgot to add "the Emperor is not wearing any clothes". Very interesting the seeming lack of basic skills on display from some of our supposed top players/athletes.

If anything good is to come out of the Scots machine hopefully it will be players that possess the necessary skills for their positions, and this spurs other players/coaches on.

Status
Not open for further replies.