• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Baffled by the silence from Stanmore, Bellevue Hill, Lane Cove and Hunters Hill. And it's absolutely deafening that silent sound from Moore Park.....

Sorry, forgot Armidale. Obviously too far away to hear anything. :rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
confined to basketball, though?
What I was told is that all schools are refusing to play TSC in the 1sts - but the TSC Basketball ute is still running the streets of Sydney from Bellevue HIll to Manly.
It seems that world domination has reached step one with the domination of GPS basketball. Trouble is, now they might have no-one to play against. I'll bet they didn't factor that into the master plan.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
It seems that world domination has reached step one with the domination of GPS basketball. Trouble is, now they might have no-one to play against. I'll bet they didn't factor that into the master plan.
I had suggested that the Shute Shield Clubs take the same stance against Syd Uni on another thread. No one to play against will make it hard to recruit and retain players.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
It was heard last night that at one of the schools the try outs for basketball was chronically over subscribed and that if little Oliver would not make at least the "D's" that he was going to have to play cricket. Nice for the cricket coaches, having sooky little kids that don't want to be there.
But on the other hand it may get rid of that blight of a sport called basketball. Parents naturally opt for this or swimming as it gets their brat out of school early on the Saturday. If the kid is shit at basketball, at least its over in 30 minutes. If he is shit at cricket, its going to be a loooooonnnnnnggggg day for mumsie sitting there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was heard last night that at one of the schools the try outs for basketball was chronically over subscribed and that if little Oliver would not make at least the "D's" that he was going to have to play cricket. Nice for the cricket coaches, having sooky little kids that don't want to be there.
But on the other hand it may get rid of that blight of a sport called basketball. Parents naturally opt for this or swimming as it gets their brat out of school early on the Saturday. If the kid is shit at basketball, at least its over in 30 minutes. If he is shit at cricket, its going to be a loooooonnnnnnggggg day for mumsie sitting there.
Even if your kid is good at cricket its a long day!
Amen to the bolded part.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Finally something on which we differ, but only to a point.
Rugby post school is completely voluntary and is not justified as an adjunct to education.
I regret the imbalance in resources in SS but I dont blame Sydney Uni for it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I had suggested that the Shute Shield Clubs take the same stance against Syd Uni on another thread. No one to play against will make it hard to recruit and retain players.
Huge difference,SU are acting totally within the guidelines they have agreed to.
The School is not.
If the SS changes the rules,I am sure SU would comply.
Apparently,some Schools just make up their own rules.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Ok - so if the Scots boys don't get a game they can't catch the selectors' eyes - hence will miss out on GPS/CIS etc teams. This would be unfortunate as the boys have done nothing wrong - the school is the guilty party.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Finally something on which we differ, but only to a point.
Rugby post school is completely voluntary and is not justified as an adjunct to education.
I regret the imbalance in resources in SS but I dont blame Sydney Uni for it.
I think you meant to disagree with It is what it is. :)

I agree with your post here.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ok - so if the Scots boys don't get a game they can't catch the selectors' eyes - hence will miss out on GPS/CIS etc teams. This would be unfortunate as the boys have done nothing wrong - the school is the guilty party.
True, but neither have the boys at the other 7 GPS schools who are expected to turn up dutifully each week for a ritual flogging.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Even if your kid is good at cricket its a long day!
Amen to the bolded part.
It is indeed a long day but I must say that with our number one son we fell in with a great group of parents and so our last three seasons of cricket were spent enjoying very convivial afternoons sipping champers or some very good whites whilst consuming magnificent sandwiches, salads, quiches, pastries etc and sitting back in our chairs, attempting to score, read the SMH, having the odd punt on the nags, chatting about school and life and of course watching our boys do battle in their whites. Number two son was not a cricketer so our summers were spent watching him and his mates bring their rugby skills to the basketball courts. Both were very enjoyable experiences.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is indeed a long day but I must say that with our number one son we fell in with a great group of parents and so our last three seasons of cricket were spent enjoying very convivial afternoons sipping champers or some very good whites whilst consuming magnificent sandwiches, salads, quiches, pastries etc and sitting back in our chairs, attempting to score, read the SMH, having the odd punt on the nags, chatting about school and life and of course watching our boys do battle in their whites. Number two son was not a cricketer so our summers were spent watching him and his mates bring their rugby skills to the basketball courts. Both were very enjoyable experiences.
Drinking on school grounds?
i thought that went out with the ark

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is a little shed at the back of Joeys where I remember that .....

No there isn't. Alcohol and school sports are a no no isn't it.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes it happened 5 GPS schools said they won't field against 1st and 2 nd basketball next term because sporting scholarships are against the GPS Code of Conduct and that they further believe this breach may extend into other sports(rugby).what does the school do. Terminate all the boys education. There was a interesting article tonight about 3 of this years Newington boys being now contracted to League.
It said our system is breeding future State of Oriigin players. If the Principals now use the same principles with Newington. Where is the schoolboys pathway?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes it happened 5 GPS schools said they won't field against 1st and 2 nd basketball next term because sporting scholarships are against the GPS Code of Conduct and that they further believe this breach may extend into other sports(rugby).what does the school do. Terminate all the boys education. There was a interesting article tonight about 3 of this years Newington boys being now contracted to League.
It said our system is breeding future State of Oriigin players. If the Principals now use the same principles with Newington. Where is the schoolboys pathway?
Which are the 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.