• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
I was at Scots on Saturday and funnily enough the fixtures program didn't have the usual 20-30 company sponsors on the back page as it was void of them......... and the programs were rarer than hen's teeth.

I have no problem with kids being on bursary at Scots for rugby and I know a few... good luck to them, although the school denies this.

The only schools that I have seen provide a program where the school states what years the boys started their 1st XV rugby career has been View & Shore showing year 7.

The 4 other GPS schools have just parachuted bursary boys in at varying numbers to their rugby programs.

Scots wisely took off their superstars off around half time after it being 50 - 0, avoiding a full time bloodbath, and bad for rugby.

Shore has a good 1st XV team, but the Scots 1st XV were a pleasure to watch with their skill and ability on the paddock, best advice I can give is get out there and watch the Scots 1st XV play one of their last 2 away matches.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
They all will be especially in the 15 and 16 year age group, except for poor ol' Ippy and BSHS.
Just not hearing much this year and with club moving into finals. The seasons just about done, thought there would be some recruiting/ scouting going on.
Looking at some of the blow out reults, I thought some schools would be very active in wanting to close the gap.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
I hear BGS have recruited a boy from TAS, which wont make @Jim Belshaw happy
TAS, is it associated schools comp?
And yep, I have heard a few whispers BGS might be on the lookout for a few players for next year, not sure how proactive BGS scouts/coaches are being tho.
Looking over their results so far, its been a tough season across the board for them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And yep, I have heard a few whispers BGS might be on the lookout for a few players for next year, not sure how proactive BGS scouts/coaches are being tho.
Looking over their results so far, its been a tough season across the board for them.

Nup - GPS.
He's in under 15s there

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
BGS are definitely building for a tilt in 2017. They have recruited a good coaching team and some players in the 15s for this year although the results don't show it, but it's something, so watch this space. Especially with a couple of additions for next year.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
From my dealing so far, it seem to be open slather up here.
And the boys who have connections are more often than not, the ones offered some sort of scholarship or what not.
I've said it before, plenty of talent not in GPS up here for many differing reasons.
And it's a real shame, the comp could be so much stronger.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
That isn't indicated in the Qld school boys trials
There is a big gap between the association that allows "open slather" and the other associations and I would imagine clubs to be poorer for it again

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
That isn't indicated in the Qld school boys trials
There is a big gap between the association that allows "open slather" and the other associations and I would imagine clubs to be poorer for it again
I personally think the club comp in Brissy is quite good, there are several age groups, especially in Div1 where there is nothing between most of the teams week in week out.
What worries me is the gap at this point in time, between the top GPS School teams and the bottom, there have been some massive blowouts.
Is this due to some schools loading their teams... open slather?
Are others capped at the number of boys they can recruit?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I personally think the club comp in Brissy is quite good, there are several age groups, especially in Div1 where there is nothing between most of the teams week in week out.
What worries me is the gap at this point in time, between the top GPS School teams and the bottom, there have been some massive blowouts.
Is this due to some schools loading their teams. open slather?

The Sydney experience has been that the number of schools in the 1st XV competition has fallen from 8 to 6 in the last 10 years as the gap has widened. Many of the schools now also run less teams that they did 10 years ago. I can't really see any good coming from it - even the alleged advantage of a more elite competition has proven to be somewhat illusory.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Is this due to some schools loading their teams. open slather?
The brizzy club comp is good to the 14s then it fizzles out. Just look at the brothers U14 from last year to this years 15s
The age group gps in qld especially in the early years you definitely get blow outs due to some man children running around that some schools have picked up early either by luck or good management. But this definitely evens out as everybody is concentrating on the big dance and schools in the gps start plugging their gaps by the 15s looking to build for their 1st XV.
2017 is looking like a hum dinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.