• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
This seems to apply equally to Shore. The indigenous kids there also seem to be good rugby players, though there appear to be fewer of them than at other schools.

I might be ignorant, probably am, but I wasn't aware of any Indigenous scholarship at Shore.

There was some talk of one starting on this very thread. But that is the only thing I had heard.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Vallance?!

I don't know the man . but I will say I overheard a conversation about a year ago . and it was while sitting in one of Sydney's most exclusive clubs (of which I am not a member) and this Grammar old boy was ripping into Valance . a high profile barrister . whose name will remain unstated for obvious reasons

unfortunately I couldn't quite capture the entire conversation . but it was in the wake of what apparently had been very disappointing HSC results

and this person had a daughter at either SCEGGS or Ascham, as well as a son at SGS . I didn't quite catch it . but he was of the opinion that SGS was a disaster and he benchmarked it to Ascham (?)

his view was SGS had been HIJACKED . and Vallance had well and truly over-stayed his welcome .. been ASLEEP at the wheel . other emotive language . and it sounded like moves were afoot to push Vallance . but then nothing came of it

anyway I will say Grammar is a school, that has old boys in powerful places . like no other . stating the obvious I know

it will be very interesting to see who is the next headmaster, and to see if sports regains some of its lost importance in the educational process
Well he made a big mistake doing that - unless his son has left school - that description narrows it markedly, very markedly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was the high profile silk suggesting that the next Headmaster should start offering enrollment anomalies to increase HSC & sporting results.

If it was just a Silk having a private go at the good Dr V, then perhaps the private conversation should perhaps remain private.

I am sure he is not the only Headmaster who has fallen foul of a parent.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Was the high profile silk suggesting that the next Headmaster should start offering enrollment anomalies to increase HSC & sporting results.

If it was just a Silk having a private go at the good Dr V, then perhaps the private conversation should perhaps remain private.

I am sure he is not the only Headmaster who has fallen foul of a parent.
I have heard similar things from other parents there, who are fans of Vallance. I also know families that have chosen other schools based on their son's desire to play sport, mainly rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have heard similar things from other parents there, who are fans of Vallance. I also know families that have chosen other schools based on their son's desire to play sport, mainly rugby.

I know personally of three Grammar old boys who are sending/are about to send the boys to other GPS schools based on the perceived lack of sport on offer (especially the rugby situation). Unfortunately these thing become self-perpetuating. If the council thinks it's a problem, then one would think that would be reflected in the new appointee and the riding instructions he/she is given. If they want more of the same, same goes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know personally of three Grammar old boys who are sending/are about to send the boys to other GPS schools based on the perceived lack of sport on offer (especially the rugby situation). Unfortunately these thing become self-perpetuating. If the council thinks it's a problem, then one would think that would be reflected in the new appointee and the riding instructions he/she is given. If they want more of the same, same goes.

Interesting thing about that QH is that its highly likely that those old boys either didn't play rugby at the school or were there in the 10 years or so after 1980 when they did not win a 1st XV game - and that had nothing to do with Vallance

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting thing about that QH is that its highly likely that those old boys either didn't play rugby at the school or were there in the 10 years or so after 1980 when they did not win a 1st XV game - and that had nothing to do with Vallance

All played rugby. One captained the 1st XV in the early 90s.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
1980 one of Grammar's best sides

Yes, one of the last great Grammar sides, as was 1974 & 1978. Although, the 1978 side started out been beaten convincingly in their first three matches only to turn it around in their fourth game against Joeys. The only other team after 1980 was the 1986 side who won 4 out 7. Such a tragic loss of tradition. It now appears Kings are now also going down the drain, with a loss of their playing numbers to soccer.

Yet I was told, only a few years ago that TKS had a waiting list longer than that of Shore ( Is that Possible). To get a place you had to be an Old Boy and from the country. Clearly, this not the case any more.

In the 13s,14s,15s & 16s they have exactly the same of Teams as Newington
18 teams. Only in the Opens do their traditional numbers remain, 9 Teams.
But on present trends I expect that this number will decrease to 6 or 7 in a year or two. Good Grief, Newington might even have more Rugby Numbers than Kings by then. And we don't have more than 60 boarders.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Grammar was still reasonable at rugby in the 80s ... if memory serves me correctly .... they even had Aussie schoolboys in the 90s

personally I think Grammar could improve their educational offering, by being more "balanced" ...

although I do agree with Vallance that Aussie education is slipping majorly

and he may well have been an excellent headmaster

and I do like that saying "Great minds discuss ideas .... small minds discuss people"

probably time for some new ideas at SGS .... and god forbid that might even include sporting scholarships ....to worthy/needy kids!

when was the last time a Grammar kid was a Rhodes scholar?

Although my understanding is the sporting part of the Rhodes scholarship might have changed from historic norms ... ping pong anyone?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, one of the last great Grammar sides, as was 1974 & 1978. Although, the 1978 side started out been beaten convincingly in their first three matches only to turn it around in their fourth game against Joeys. The only other team after 1980 was the 1986 side who won 4 out 7. Such a tragic loss of tradition. It now appears Kings are now also going down the drain, with a loss of their playing numbers to soccer.

Yet I was told, only a few years ago that TKS had a waiting list longer than that of Shore ( Is that Possible). To get a place you had to be an Old Boy and from the country. Clearly, this not the case any more.

In the 13s,14s,15s & 16s they have exactly the same of Teams as Newington
18 teams. Only in the Opens do their traditional numbers remain, 9 Teams.
But on present trends I expect that this number will decrease to 6 or 7 in a year or two. Good Grief, Newington might even have more Rugby Numbers than Kings by then. And we don't have more than 60 boarders.

Kings only go down to 13 Ds this yearless than only Grammar go down to 13Cs and High who go down to 13 Bs - Newington go down to Fs. .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Seems your colours weren't always black and white if you know that trivia: the 78 side beat New at Stanmore in the last game to stop them winning the premiership outright.
I think you'll find that the 2006 went OK too and are actually responsible for the existence of this thread.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Kings only go down to 13 Ds this yearless than only Grammar go down to 13Cs and High who go down to 13 Bs - Newington go down to Fs. .

But only down to Ds in the 14s,15, and 16s. Although they started out in the Waverly Games having 14 Es & 15 Es. However, what is extremely pleasing as New Supporter, is the presence of a 7th XV in the Opens. I also hear the school, is growing and bursting at seams in numbers. Some 1350 boys in the senior School. This might go to some way explaining why a 7th XV now exists.

As the inner city population explodes, with high rise residential wealth there should be expectation that Newington's Numbers will continue to grow. Last time I was there, the Old Wyvern House Site was being demolished, clearly a building programme in response to the increased and likely increase in numbers. Lets hope those increase numbers can translate into increased Rugby numbers and teams.

I am also hearing that Souths, Canterbury and Parra, now see nearby Newington as an ideal institution of learning and training for selected members of their juniors. Hence, Cameron Murray, may not be the only Newington player to being playing a high Quality league. He could be the first of many ?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I am also hearing that Souths, Canterbury and Parra, now see nearby Newington as an ideal institution of learning and training for selected members of their juniors. Hence, Cameron Murray, may not be the only Newington player to being playing a high Quality league. He could be the first of many ?

This should be discouraged by all associated with the AAGPS.

It is not what this School Rugby competition is about.

Your implication is that League clubs will sponsor talent through the school. So this is a Sporting Scholarship given by a third party - not the school.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. The School should not have any part of it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This should be discouraged by all associated with the AAGPS.

It is not what this School Rugby competition is about.

Your implication is that League clubs will sponsor talent through the school. So this is a Sporting Scholarship given by a third party - not the school.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. The School should not have any part of it.

Its already happened and happening.
  1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm’s length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
Third party inducements are outlawed as much as direct inducements but they are harder to prove

Status
Not open for further replies.