• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Fully expected this. At least you're sticking to the script, but it's so boring in its predictability. The Boys' Club is alive and well, liking one another's posts and covering one another's back when someone has the temerity to question anything they say - third man in to a stoush between the long-term poster against the newbie. I acknowledge you will always win. It's why you are still here and so many like me have and will continue to disappear without a trace.

The Shore model has been discussed time and again on this site, presented even by the mate you are defending here. You know exactly what it is. Time contributing to this site doesn't give you or anybody else some God-given right to the truth. I conceded in my first post that IS has always been someone who presents an argument of reason and logic, I just didn't think he had this time. I've often privately cheered when I've read that he has taken on the other damaged models. Other posts on this page seem equally puzzled as to how Shore could possibly be an import destination.

The venom directed from a dark green-tinged avatar also has me questioning the definition of what moderating actually means. If that is what the job description is, heaven help all of us.

Nonetheless, I've made my point. That'll do me. Thanks.

@U&I don't disappear without trace. Your contribution has been a good one.

Don't mind Inside Shoulder too much. He is just the resident School yard bully, all be it a likable one who is normally not too far off the money. But he does like to lock horns. Nice that you scarred him off for a bit.

Anyway @IS, you made 2 wayward points, from where this began.. 1 that U&I has taken up about Shore. (and I can assure you it is not easy to get any boy into Shore - oldboy or not- and there is definitely no assistance going for any sport).

2nd Wayward point was referring to SJC.

If I didn't see a boy on a scholarship yesterday completely mesmerize the Shore defense and score and setup numerous tries to set up convincing win - then I will stand and be rooted.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shane, thanks for your contribution. Some points for you to consider:

1) Shore still does produce the odd "Very talented Rugby Player".

2) To say its WAY down the list, well I think that a bit harsh. I think I can safely say Shore is well in front of most of the CAS schools, having beaten 3 of them fairly easily this season. (ok we haven't played Knox, but based on relative scores vs Joeys it should be a close and competitive match- but we know that Knox is an artificial situation anyway)

3) Based on number of teams fielded, Joeys win this, but Shore is on par with Riverview and would field more than Scots Newington and Kings and I am pretty sure more than any other school from any other association. So it still rates as a strong Rugby school in teams fielded.

4) Perhaps you think Scots is a better option. But their success is a fairly recent phenomenon. Again an artificial situation well documented in this thread. But know this, Shore still has more premierships to its name than Scots.

5) Perhaps you think Newington, Again an artificial and recent situation well documented in this thread. A school that is struggling the field 2 teams in an age group. And a school that heavily relies on its relationship with its brother school.

6) Do you consider the facility's each school has to offer when you rate your pecking order? Dont think Shores offering is too shabby.

Shane, I really don't know how you can say Shore is WAY down the list. But as others have already picked up, surely a schools Rugby prowess is not the sole reason for choosing a school. But if it were, I would have to think Shore would not be too far out of contention, if you were looking for an Anglican school centrally located in Sydney and a school playing in the highest tier competition in Sydney.

Think you'll find that Shane is ISA affiliated.

EDIT: And strange as it may seem to some of us, there are plenty of parents out there who factor rugby at or near the top of the list when it comes to choosing schools.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If I didn't see a boy on a scholarship yesterday completely mesmerize the Shore defense and score and setup numerous tries to set up convincing win - then I will stand and be rooted.

220px-Triangle_(13513809145).jpg

;)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Think you'll find that Shane is ISA affiliated.

EDIT: And strange as it may seem to some of us, there are plenty of parents out there who factor rugby at or near the top of the list when it comes to choosing schools.

OK, so the ultimate Rugby experience for ISA is Round 1 Aggies V Oakhill. Give me any GPS school ahead of that. (Even Grammer & TAS because they play in a very good Comp)

Your EDIT point.

I suspect a bit of that goes on at Joeys. But what I find hard to understand is how a lot of boys playing thirds or fourths at Joeys would be playing 1's at a lot of other schools. Say Alloys or Waverly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
OK, so the ultimate Rugby experience for ISA is Round 1 Aggies V Oakhill. Give me any GPS school ahead of that. (Even Grammer & TAS because they play in a very good Comp)

Your EDIT point.

I suspect a bit of that goes on at Joeys. But what I find hard to understand is how a lot of boys playing thirds or fourths at Joeys would be playing 1's at a lot of other schools. Say Alloys or Waverly.

I'm sure that many people factor in sports played and facilities available as part of the decision on which school to send their kids. For most of us it's not the main reason, but for some it most certainly is. Often these parents live vicariously through their offspring.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fully expected this. At least you're sticking to the script, but it's so boring in its predictability. The Boys' Club is alive and well, liking one another's posts and covering one another's back when someone has the temerity to question anything they say - third man in to a stoush between the long-term poster against the newbie. I acknowledge you will always win. It's why you are still here and so many like me have and will continue to disappear without a trace.

The Shore model has been discussed time and again on this site, presented even by the mate you are defending here. You know exactly what it is. Time contributing to this site doesn't give you or anybody else some God-given right to the truth. I conceded in my first post that IS has always been someone who presents an argument of reason and logic, I just didn't think he had this time. I've often privately cheered when I've read that he has taken on the other damaged models. Other posts on this page seem equally puzzled as to how Shore could possibly be an import destination.

The venom directed from a dark green-tinged avatar also has me questioning the definition of what moderating actually means. If that is what the job description is, heaven help all of us.

Nonetheless, I've made my point. That'll do me. Thanks.

I wasn't moderating anything, I was replying. Strangely, I'm allowed to do that. Again, you post a lot of bluster, but my point stands - why does your bluster need to be believed any more than IS's statement, who, by the way, would hardly consider me a mate?
People disappear from this sub-forum for breaches of forum rules (which are plainly available in this thread and other schoolboy ones), not because they are full of hot air. If you think people get banned for giggles, you're dead wrong. If I had my choice, I'd have closed this sub-forum years ago, but that's not my call. You can say what you like, within the rules.
It would be naive to think, in the current climate of private school sporting arms races, that any school is really beyond reproach, and people huffing and puffing to that effect doesn't make it more likely.
Of course, maybe you have far more accurate inside knowledge than we all know? Since we're all semi-anonymous, how would anyone really know, eh? ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
@U&I don't disappear without trace. Your contribution has been a good one.

Don't mind Inside Shoulder too much. He is just the resident School yard bully, all be it a likable one who is normally not too far off the money. But he does like to lock horns. Nice that you scarred him off for a bit.

Anyway @IS, you made 2 wayward points, from where this began.. 1 that U&I has taken up about Shore. (and I can assure you it is not easy to get any boy into Shore - oldboy or not- and there is definitely no assistance going for any sport).

2nd Wayward point was referring to SJC.

As to the first one: I know its difficult. I selected them as a backup option, but of course my missus would not let me answer the religion question "rugby", we left if blank and so we went to the bottom of the pile - until they needed to fill that brand new prep school of theirs. Besides, if you're really serious you put them down to board from age 9 and you're guaranteed a place.

As to the second: i have to say my preparedness to give SJC the benefit of the doubt has worn very thin. its one thing to explain all the late arrivals by reference to some Marist Brothers bush telegraph its another to have kids turning up from schools of all denominations and creeds and put that down to the bush telegraph. And while KB (Kurtley Beale) is their most obvious import they did educate his brother on the nod from what I hear so they kind of redeem themselves in my paganistic eyes from time to time.
Besides which its a certainty they're not importing in the C's - H's and yet they produce kids from that level who at least know what the game is about.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....my preparedness to give SJC the benefit of the doubt has worn very thin. its one thing to explain all the late arrivals by reference to some Marist Brothers bush telegraph its another to have kids turning up from schools of all denominations and creeds and put that down to the bush telegraph. And while KB (Kurtley Beale) is their most obvious import.....

Started at Joeys in year 7, bit difficult to presume a skinny aboriginal kid aged 12's going to be a superstar. And Joeys have ALWAYS had boys from non-Catholic denominations in their ranks, including in the original cohort of 55 boys in 1881. BTW, there was also an aboriginal boy in that first intake, bastards have been importing from the start. ;)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
As to the first one: I know its difficult. I selected them as a backup option, but of course my missus would not let me answer the religion question "rugby", we left if blank and so we went to the bottom of the pile - until they needed to fill that brand new prep school of theirs. Besides, if you're really serious you put them down to board from age 9 and you're guaranteed a place.

As to the second: i have to say my preparedness to give SJC the benefit of the doubt has worn very thin. its one thing to explain all the late arrivals by reference to some Marist Brothers bush telegraph its another to have kids turning up from schools of all denominations and creeds and put that down to the bush telegraph. And while KB (Kurtley Beale) is their most obvious import they did educate his brother on the nod from what I hear so they kind of redeem themselves in my paganistic eyes from time to time.
Besides which its a certainty they're not importing in the C's - H's and yet they produce kids from that level who at least know what the game is about.
If you fill up the A&B's with good players, then the D,E,F,G,H will take care of itself

I have first hand experience of Catholic Rugby schools. Even in year 7, a rugby resume and reference from a coach goes a long way. Even for a heathen.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Started at Joeys in year 7, bit difficult to presume a skinny aboriginal kid aged 12's going to be a superstar. And Joeys have ALWAYS had boys from non-Catholic denominations in their ranks, including in the original cohort of 55 boys in 1881. BTW, there was also an aboriginal boy in that first intake, bastards have been importing from the start. ;)
I'm Benefitting the doubt again

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

From Wilkipedia:
Beale was born in Blacktown, New South Wales, and grew up at Mount Druitt in Western Sydney.[4][5] In his early years Kurtley played junior rugby league for Western City Tigers, Mt Druitt before converting to Rugby union.[6] He gained a scholarship to attend St Joseph's College at Hunters Hill, known as Joeys, where he played rugby for the first XV team for three years in a row. Beale was selected to represent the NSW and Australian Schoolboys rugby teams between 2004 and 2006.[7] In 2006 Beale captained both the Joey's first fifteen and the Australian Schoolboys teams,[7] and regularly attended training sessions with the NSW Waratahs from the age of 15. He signed with the Waratahs while still only a 16-year-old.[8][9] At 17, he attended his first Wallabies training camp, on the invitation of coach John Connolly.

Training with the 'Tahs at age 15? The talent scouts for Joeys wouldn't have had to look too hard at KB (Kurtley Beale) aged 12 to see his enormous ability.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
From Wilkipedia:
Beale was born in Blacktown, New South Wales, and grew up at Mount Druitt in Western Sydney.[4][5] In his early years Kurtley played junior rugby league for Western City Tigers, Mt Druitt before converting to Rugby union.[6] He gained a scholarship to attend St Joseph's College at Hunters Hill, known as Joeys, where he played rugby for the first XV team for three years in a row. Beale was selected to represent the NSW and Australian Schoolboys rugby teams between 2004 and 2006.[7] In 2006 Beale captained both the Joey's first fifteen and the Australian Schoolboys teams,[7] and regularly attended training sessions with the NSW Waratahs from the age of 15. He signed with the Waratahs while still only a 16-year-old.[8][9] At 17, he attended his first Wallabies training camp, on the invitation of coach John Connolly.

Training with the 'Tahs at age 15? The talent scouts for Joeys wouldn't have had to look too hard at KB (Kurtley Beale) aged 12 to see his enormous ability.

Think Lindomer was referring to the current situation.

But you are right. You well know at 12 if a kid has speed and can score tries. You know if they can tackle. You know if they are a natural.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Think Lindomer (sic) was referring to the current situation. But you are right. You well know at 12 if a kid has speed and can score tries. You know if they can tackle. You know if they are a natural.

Joeys certainly got that one wrong with Kurtley.....:(

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think Lindomer was referring to the current situation.

But you are right. You well know at 12 if a kid has speed and can score tries. You know if they can tackle. You know if they are a natural.

Absolutely. TSC picked up a few from the PSSA teams and a boy who played PSSA in 2014, appeared at TKS in 2015 despite living on the northern beaches and having an older sibling (who represented NSW at one sport and Australia at another) attending another school.;)

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Round 5 is now done ...... 100 percent pure Scots has now beaten Riverview, Joeys and Newington ........ All of which have recruited this year, In the past years the supporters of these teams particularly from Hunters Hill and Lane Cove to a lesser extent have raised hell regarding this, predicted the demise of the GPS Comp and wanted Scots expelled under its current leadership ...... What have they to say now ?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Round 5 is now done .. 100 percent pure Scots has now beaten Riverview, Joeys and Newington .... All of which have recruited this year, In the past years the supporters of these teams particularly from Hunters Hill and Lane Cove to a lesser extent have raised hell regarding this, predicted the demise of the GPS Comp and wanted Scots expelled under its current leadership .. What have they to say now ?
Too little too late?

Status
Not open for further replies.