• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Round 5 is now done .. 100 percent pure Scots has now beaten Riverview, Joeys and Newington .... All of which have recruited this year, In the past years the supporters of these teams particularly from Hunters Hill and Lane Cove to a lesser extent have raised hell regarding this, predicted the demise of the GPS Comp and wanted Scots expelled under its current leadership .. What have they to say now ?
Something like: you need to survey your 1st XV to ascertain the basis on which its members are at the school. Ask them in numerical order to save time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From yesterday's AFR and an interview with Grammar's headmaster:
"But rather than driving better debate about how to improve education, he argues the private schools are also falling victim to the tick-the-box syndrome, and nowhere more so than on the sports field, where facilities at many private schools just get better and better, with little thought on the value of sport to education. And he notes that he's increasingly concerned about anxiety and depression within private schools, which bears striking similarities to acedia, an ancient illness that afflicted people – mainly monks, who had all their needs met.

When asked, he also admits to be slightly uneasy about the increasing number of Indigenous boarding scholarships, which he says still have a strong sporting bent and, in effect, cut children off from their communities.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/leadership/sydne...insubordination-20160525-gp37ak#ixzz4AeJExUcL
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook"

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Round 5 is now done .. 100 percent pure Scots has now beaten Riverview, Joeys and Newington .... All of which have recruited this year, In the past years the supporters of these teams particularly from Hunters Hill and Lane Cove to a lesser extent have raised hell regarding this, predicted the demise of the GPS Comp and wanted Scots expelled under its current leadership .. What have they to say now ?

Let's have a look at your logic:
'100% pure": you probably mean that no 1st XV players are at Scots on any form of financial assistance. I'll take your word for it yet many wouldn't having heard from the current Headmaster that enrollment "anomalies" have occurred in the recent past.
"predicted the demise of the GPS comp": instead of that happening, Scots has reverted to "pure" teams. You neglected to mention that.

Scots are a very good team of schoolboys who are well coached and play to their potential every game. Their speed, stature and rugby skills are just what you'd expect from young men in years 11 to 12 playing elite GPS rugby.
Quite a marked difference to the qualities on display in the recruitment years.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)

Who have Newington recruited this year?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Don't think too many of us actually believe Scots are squeaky clean just yet.

Whilst ever the current head master remains, think it's always a possibility

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Leaving the 100% pure part to one side, I'm sure that boys who have had the same common school experience will appreciate their own successes much more that those who were enrolment anomolies. I raised matters that you have alluded to back on page 299 (and slightly earlier as well I think) and even pointed out that if the boys concerned had turned up at Scots or Newington then the thread would have gone into meltdown.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
From yesterday's AFR and an interview with Grammar's headmaster:
"But rather than driving better debate about how to improve education, he argues the private schools are also falling victim to the tick-the-box syndrome, and nowhere more so than on the sports field, where facilities at many private schools just get better and better, with little thought on the value of sport to education. And he notes that he's increasingly concerned about anxiety and depression within private schools, which bears striking similarities to acedia, an ancient illness that afflicted people – mainly monks, who had all their needs met.

When asked, he also admits to be slightly uneasy about the increasing number of Indigenous boarding scholarships, which he says still have a strong sporting bent and, in effect, cut children off from their communities.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/leadership/sydne...insubordination-20160525-gp37ak#ixzz4AeJExUcL
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook"

On the positive side they give the Australian Indigenous Community, opportunities for an education they would not receive elsewhere. Where would Kurtley Beale be, if he had not received a scholarship to Joeys.

In America Sporting Scholarships for African-Americans, serve as means of getting "up and out" of failed communities that offer nothing, but crime and early death. Regrettably and Tragically, the same applies to some of our Australian Indigenous communities.

So the benefits of these scholarships are invaluable, to creating a more just and caring Australia. What is needed for Indigenous Australians, is not endless "Hand Outs" but educational opportunities to break the cyclical of unemployment.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On the positive side they give the Australian Indigenous Community, opportunities for an education they would not receive elsewhere. Where would Kurtley Beale be, if he had not received a scholarship to Joeys.

In America Sporting Scholarships for African-Americans, serve as means of getting "up and out" of failed communities that offer nothing, but crime and early death. Regrettably and Tragically, the same applies to some of our Australian Indigenous communities.

So the benefits of these scholarships are invaluable, to creating a more just and caring Australia. What is needed for Indigenous Australians, is not endless "Hand Outs" but educational opportunities to break the cyclical of unemployment.

A better tackler playing league.
1, 2, 10 or 20 Kids at GPS CAS or any other private schools does not make Australia a more just and caring place - it just makes rich people feel better about themselves.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Question: Are they Indigenous scholarships or sporting scholarships given to an Indigenous recipient?

I happen to think that those schools involved in these scholarships seem to be highly selective that these are given only to boys with serious rugby talent.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
A better tackler playing league.
1, 2, 10 or 20 Kids at GPS CAS or any other private schools does not make Australia a more just and caring place - it just makes rich people feel better about themselves.

Yes,that is certainly one way of looking at the issue and I certainly cannot disagree that self interest plays a part, at times, in such selections. But I feel the overall opportunity given, even if it drags only a small number of boys out of poverty, is worth the effort.

I sight the example of a former Indigenous Student at Joeys, one Craig Ashby, who arrived at the school in Year 9, barely able to read. Yet by Year 12, this young man had Matriculated to Sydney University. Last I heard he was studying to be a History Teacher. A fine achievement by Joeys and Craig himself. I don't think Craig played 1st XV Rugby, so the notion of a sports scholarship may not be relevant as was the case of Kurtley Beale.

I also understand that certain schools are better placed to offer such scholarships. Grammar, with its unapologetic and unashamed commitment to educational excellence, may not be such a school. Whereas, Joeys with its French Marcellean Tradition of offering education to the poor and Newington with its Wesleyan and Methodist background of social justice, are more inclined to be providers of such scholarships.

So the respective and differing ethos of our schools, will shape the outlook of what constitutes the provisions for the awarding of scholarships. I think its far too easy and superficial, to simply dismiss a Indigenous Scholarship as a sports award. The aim of any such award is bound to have a wider application, based around overall merit. Sport may be a significant part of such merit, but other personal qualities will enter the selection process.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@footy4life "Who have Newington recruited this year?"

In 16s, Keith Titmuss (Westfield Sports High) and Saul Lewis (Holy Cross Ryde). Keith was NSW u15s #8 and Saul MNZ U15s #10. Not sure about other age groups.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes,that is certainly one way of looking at the issue and I certainly cannot disagree that self interest plays a part, at times, in such selections. But I feel the overall opportunity given, even if it drags only a small number of boys out of poverty, is worth the effort.

I sight the example of a former Indigenous Student at Joeys, one Craig Ashby, who arrived at the school in Year 9, barely able to read. Yet by Year 12, this young man had Matriculated to Sydney University. Last I heard he was studying to be a History Teacher. A fine achievement by Joeys and Craig himself. I don't think Craig played 1st XV Rugby, so the notion of a sports scholarship may not be relevant as was the case of Kurtley Beale.

I also understand that certain schools are better placed to offer such scholarships. Grammar, with its unapologetic and unashamed commitment to educational excellence, may not be such a school. Whereas, Joeys with its French Marcellean Tradition of offering education to the poor and Newington with its Wesleyan and Methodist background of social justice, are more inclined to be providers of such scholarships.

So the respective and differing ethos of our schools, will shape the outlook of what constitutes the provisions for the awarding of scholarships. I think its far too easy and superficial, to simply dismiss a Indigenous Scholarship as a sports award. The aim of any such award is bound to have a wider application, based around overall merit. Sport may be a significant part of such merit, but other personal qualities will enter the selection process.
some good points and I have no idea what the answer to improving the lot of all indigenous people is

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Vallance?!

I don't know the man ... but I will say I overheard a conversation about a year ago ... and it was while sitting in one of Sydney's most exclusive clubs (of which I am not a member) and this Grammar old boy was ripping into Valance ... a high profile barrister ... whose name will remain unstated for obvious reasons

unfortunately I couldn't quite capture the entire conversation ... but it was in the wake of what apparently had been very disappointing HSC results

and this person had a daughter at either SCEGGS or Ascham, as well as a son at SGS ... I didn't quite catch it ... but he was of the opinion that SGS was a disaster and he benchmarked it to Ascham (?)

his view was SGS had been HIJACKED ... and Vallance had well and truly over-stayed his welcome .... been ASLEEP at the wheel ... other emotive language ... and it sounded like moves were afoot to push Vallance ... but then nothing came of it

anyway I will say Grammar is a school, that has old boys in powerful places ... like no other ... stating the obvious I know

it will be very interesting to see who is the next headmaster, and to see if sports regains some of its lost importance in the educational process

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Question: Are they Indigenous scholarships or sporting scholarships given to an Indigenous recipient?

I happen to think that those schools involved in these scholarships seem to be highly selective that these are given only to boys with serious rugby talent.
This seems to apply equally to Shore. The indigenous kids there also seem to be good rugby players, though there appear to be fewer of them than at other schools.

S

SillyBilly

You're KIDDING aren't you???? In the whole Shore school the highest ranked indigenous rugby player scrapes into 13As and as where he comes from he had never even heard of Rugby when he got to the school let alone played it!!!!

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
@footy4life "Who have Newington recruited this year?"

In 16s, Keith Titmuss (Westfield Sports High) and Saul Lewis (Holy Cross Ryde). Keith was NSW u15s #8 and Saul MNZ U15s #10. Not sure about other age groups.
Oh yes fair enough, I thought this was in reference to the 1st 15. However Saul's brother has been at the school since year 7 and is now in year 12 so wasn't as much as a recruitment as others.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
You're KIDDING aren't you???? In the whole Shore school the highest ranked indigenous rugby player scrapes into 13As and as where he comes from he had never even heard of Rugby when he got to the school let alone played it!!!!
So you are saying even though he had never played rugby before and was selected over 90 other kids, many of whom have been playing rugby for years, the kid doesn't have "serious rugby talent"?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought Shore had NOT even got their indigenous scholarships off the ground

so great if they have ...

I think Knox has been the North Shore school that has picked up some indigenous kids ... kids that just happen to be excellent rugby players

in yesterday's Roosters game you had former Knox student, Connor Watson, who as I understand it ....was from Dubbo and good on him, he scored a nice try, and despite a distinct lack of size looks an exciting prospect

the only shame is he appears lost to 5 kick

also great to see young Winston on the Scots wing doing well ... he is a bit of a contrast to Scots's other winger ... Winston is Mr Cool-calm-collected , whereas Yassim is lets say "Mr volatile" ... one minute he is smiling at the crowd, next he looks like he is going to do something "red card" silly, and give away the game

Status
Not open for further replies.