• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm sure she does. That's not the point - it's about reliability. If I had a dollar for every parent (read mother) who claimed their son was an import in order to amplify their boy's ability and hence value, I'd be a rich man. Taking a mother's word on this is ludicrous.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm sure she does. That's not the point - it's about reliability. If I had a dollar for every parent (read mother) who claimed their son was an import in order to amplify their boy's ability and hence value, I'd be a rich man. Taking a mother's word on this is ludicrous.

So taking a mother's word is ludicrous but we should believe you and "the Shore model", whatever that is?
I've been here a while, and when posters like you enter with this level of bluster and bullshit, I have a high level of scepticism as to the veracity of your argument.
From many years on here, IS is more often than not on the money. You've been here 5 minutes and sound like you're selling a lot of rhetoric.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dear me,
Not only does your reply make little sense, you can add condescending to your ignorance, but you've always been good at that. Neither of these claims fits the Shore model. But hey, the mother of a boy and a boasting old boy; you got me. What watertight sources. Fancy being stupid enough to post accusations of importing with that as your evidence. Sack your informants and give yourself an uppercut. It took you this long to reply and this is all you have to offer.
Dear me.

You've got me thinking, over and out.
Why should we take Lambert's word for the fact that there were some irregularities in the enrolment procedure?
I was touched by your mimicry: imitation is the sincerest from of flattery they say. Mind you I'm not sure if we can rely on what "they" say.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
^^^I'd be interested also as have closely followed the journey of one family trying to get a very talented rugby player a Shore berth paying full freight. They are simply not interested.

Why would anybody want to get their 'very talented rugby player' into Shore.
You are joking aren't you?
Shore is not the school to send a very talented rugby player to, definitely not. Shore is WAY down on the list of 'rugby' schools to send a talented player to.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Shore is not the school to send a very talented rugby player to, definitely not. Shore is WAY down on the list of 'rugby' schools to send a talented player to.
That is unless you are seeking a rounded education for your son with rugby forming but one consideration

S

SillyBilly

My sister has a very talented rugby son and tells the funny story of when a few years ago they presented there sons impressive rugby rep resume to Shore and my Bro In law very NERVOUSLY asked if something could be done about the school fees with such an impressive rugby resume. The registrar had a great sense of humour and replied "Absolutely.........., we can INCREASE the fee if you wish!!!!"

They knocked back an offer from Scotts, she took extra days at work and he is excelling academically as he struggles in this department and is loving his rugby.His rugby will be noticed WHEN I'm sure (as he hopes) he gets into Sydney Uni and plays for them

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

There's a better question: why would anyone pick any school based on a kids rugby talent?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)

TIP has taken the words out of my mouth. The lad in question is also quite academic.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Shane, thanks for your contribution. Some points for you to consider:

1) Shore still does produce the odd "Very talented Rugby Player".

2) To say its WAY down the list, well I think that a bit harsh. I think I can safely say Shore is well in front of most of the CAS schools, having beaten 3 of them fairly easily this season. (ok we haven't played Knox, but based on relative scores vs Joeys it should be a close and competitive match- but we know that Knox is an artificial situation anyway)

3) Based on number of teams fielded, Joeys win this, but Shore is on par with Riverview and would field more than Scots Newington and Kings and I am pretty sure more than any other school from any other association. So it still rates as a strong Rugby school in teams fielded.

4) Perhaps you think Scots is a better option. But their success is a fairly recent phenomenon. Again an artificial situation well documented in this thread. But know this, Shore still has more premierships to its name than Scots.

5) Perhaps you think Newington, Again an artificial and recent situation well documented in this thread. A school that is struggling the field 2 teams in an age group. And a school that heavily relies on its relationship with its brother school.

6) Do you consider the facility's each school has to offer when you rate your pecking order? Dont think Shores offering is too shabby.

Shane, I really don't know how you can say Shore is WAY down the list. But as others have already picked up, surely a schools Rugby prowess is not the sole reason for choosing a school. But if it were, I would have to think Shore would not be too far out of contention, if you were looking for an Anglican school centrally located in Sydney and a school playing in the highest tier competition in Sydney.

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
So taking a mother's word is ludicrous but we should believe you and "the Shore model", whatever that is?
I've been here a while, and when posters like you enter with this level of bluster and bullshit, I have a high level of scepticism as to the veracity of your argument.
From many years on here, IS is more often than not on the money. You've been here 5 minutes and sound like you're selling a lot of rhetoric.

Fully expected this. At least you're sticking to the script, but it's so boring in its predictability. The Boys' Club is alive and well, liking one another's posts and covering one another's back when someone has the temerity to question anything they say - third man in to a stoush between the long-term poster against the newbie. I acknowledge you will always win. It's why you are still here and so many like me have and will continue to disappear without a trace.

The Shore model has been discussed time and again on this site, presented even by the mate you are defending here. You know exactly what it is. Time contributing to this site doesn't give you or anybody else some God-given right to the truth. I conceded in my first post that IS has always been someone who presents an argument of reason and logic, I just didn't think he had this time. I've often privately cheered when I've read that he has taken on the other damaged models. Other posts on this page seem equally puzzled as to how Shore could possibly be an import destination.

The venom directed from a dark green-tinged avatar also has me questioning the definition of what moderating actually means. If that is what the job description is, heaven help all of us.

Nonetheless, I've made my point. That'll do me. Thanks.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Just curious, how does one go about getting a kid into Shore on a rugby scholarship?

First things first , you must be a gordon junior... Or at least gone shopping at chatswood once in your life, because that qualifies as a gordon junior status.

Second, you must have been knocked back by SJC and SIC because all their scholarships are full.

Third, you must have at least found out where stanmore is so that you can pray that you never have to go there.

It is only then that an envelope will be delivered to your newly renovated californian bungalow on a wide leafy street with between quarter and third of an acre block and the newly leased Q7 (THIS IS A PREREQUISITE) that makes you denounce all scholarship fundings, will you receive any assistance or relief.

If you try as hard as scots do, they will offer you cricket assistance, rugby assistance, hyperbaric assistance, hyperbole assitance and also rhetoric assistance.
After all of this though, there is just no time for good ol fashioned educati.....

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Why?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
First things first , you must be a gordon junior. Or at least gone shopping at chatswood once in your life, because that qualifies as a gordon junior status.

Second, you must have been knocked back by SJC and SIC because all their scholarships are full.

Third, you must have at least found out where stanmore is so that you can pray that you never have to go there.

It is only then that an envelope will be delivered to your newly renovated californian bungalow on a wide leafy street with between quarter and third of an acre block and the newly leased Q7 (THIS IS A PREREQUISITE) that makes you denounce all scholarship fundings, will you receive any assistance or relief.

If you try as hard as scots do, they will offer you cricket assistance, rugby assistance, hyperbaric assistance, hyperbole assitance and also rhetoric assistance.
After all of this though, there is just no time for good ol fashioned educati...

Im hearing on my impeccable grape vine that Audi are bringing out a Q9, to trump everything else, with built in GPS*

*premierships

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Boys' Club is alive and well, liking one another's posts and covering one another's back when someone has the temerity to question anything they say - third man in to a stoush between the long-term poster against the newbie.
I've often privately cheered when I've read that he has taken on the other damaged models. Other posts on this page seem equally puzzled as to how Shore could possibly be an import destination.

The venom directed from a dark green-tinged avatar also has me questioning the definition of what moderating actually means. If that is what the job description is, heaven help all of us.

Nonetheless, I've made my point. That'll do me. Thanks.

2 things:
  • Ive had more warnings from Mods than most have had hot dinners
  • Your cheering from the sideline until your school is named doesn't suggest too much objectivity about this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.