• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There isn't always fire under the smoke, and while we are all guilty of it at times, we should be careful with some of the sweeping statements and assumptions we make.

No assumptions, just questions - hence the use of the word "questionable";)

But the fact remains that had boys with similar pedigrees turned up at other schools, the reaction on this thread would have been completely different. And that is neither questionable, nor an assumption.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Correct that the reaction from "others" does differ depending which school the "talented athlete" lobs up, regardless of any enrollment funding anomaly or not.

The commentariat wants to be.outraged, and outraged they will be regardless of the actual facts.

Unfortunately some of the usual suspects have invited commentariat rage by past behaviours.

leagueman

Frank Row (1)
FFS a tiny half who was never going to, play 1st 15 for Kings goes to View and a son of a View old boy starts at View when in year 10 . QS is that all you have to equate to Scots and New over the last few years . No wonder those schools feel they can act the way do ( did ) .

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
We should just admit it. its rampant.
No school is in the clear now.

I don't buy that one @IS.

Depends very much on how you define an import.

Where the school proactively seeks out talented sports students and offers inducements or places at a school is simply wrong.

Where a boy changes from a school playing in a lower tier comp and wants to play at the highest level he can and takes the only spot available (a full fare boarding spot). This hardly rates as an "import" in the $cots sense of the word.

But where there is a transfer of a boy from 1 GPS school to another, seemingly the only reason is a greater chance to play 1st grade. The school should have a good hard look at itself.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
FFS a tiny half who was never going to, play 1st 15 for Kings goes to View and a son of a View old boy starts at View when in year 10 . QS is that all you have to equate to Scots and New over the last few years . No wonder those schools feel they can act the way do ( did ) .

Pointing out facts does not equate one with another. Other examples were done on a much grander scale. The fact remains, if people want to throw stones elsewhere, they need to make sure that their own (glass) house is 100% in order. ;)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Pointing out facts does not equate one with another. Other examples were done on a much grander scale. The fact remains, if people want to throw stones elsewhere, they need to make sure that their own (glass) house is 100% in order. ;)
@QH glass used on the Emery Room at Northbridge apparently is bullet proof.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well the only one I don't have personal knowledge of that having happened is SJC :confused:

First post but moved to reply. I've followed your contributions as a guest for a while and have been nothing but impressed by your logic and reasoning in the past. You are a logical voice in a world of inaccuracy and emotive distortion. As such, I'm surprised that you would post such careless comments that suggest that "no school is in the clear now" and "even they have an import now." NIS asked for a response yesterday at 7.43am but has received nothing in response. I would welcome a reply that justified such a comment that implies that every school imports players into this competition.

Karma Police

Allen Oxlade (6)
"I've been around swimming and water polo for a while and I know that both Knox and Trinity actively recruit and scholarship".

I've heard a rumour that Barker - who have won the CAS Athletics for 4 years - just recruited a 16s middle distance runner - from Kenya.

Now that is taking recruitment to a new level.

I'm sure they will justify it from an underprivileged standpoint, as I've heard others do (like View and Joeys). However, there are a lot of underprivileged kids who aren't top athletes who would also have been worthy recipients of the school's generosity.

With Trinity and Knox - they usually train their kids up themselves from a younger age. Look at primary results in both athletics and swimming - Knox and Trinity do very well.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
First post but moved to reply. I've followed your contributions as a guest for a while and have been nothing but impressed by your logic and reasoning in the past. You are a logical voice in a world of inaccuracy and emotive distortion. As such, I'm surprised that you would post such careless comments that suggests that "no school is in the clear now" and "even they have an import now." NIS asked for a response yesterday at 7.43am but has received nothing in response. I would welcome a reply that justified such a comment that implies that every school imports players into this competition.
Well. Well. The band Disturbed have a truly brilliant version of "The sounds of silence" but @IS your version is special. This is not like you at all. Are you unwell?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Quote: Pure contest when there's only 1 pure team in the contest. And even they have an import

Inside Shoulder? Hello? I know you're there. I've seen your post elsewhere so I know you're alive... I also hear the tumbleweeds and crickets that wallpaper your silence. Any time you want to qualify your claim that ALL teams import, we are all ears.

Unfortunately, the defence strategy of the gossip mouthpiece is always silence (I'm talking to you, Mr Holier-than-thou, Inside Shoulder). (Some advice - be careful about regurgitating gossip that you hear on the hill at your favourite 1st XV game). You make an unsubstantiated claim (throw a grenade), refuse to admit culpability, say nothing for long enough and hopefully fade into the background long enough to enable re-emergence down the track when the audience's memory fades. It's the trademark of the coward.
Until you justify your claim, the tumbleeds and crickets get louder every second, while your credibility continues to fade.
We're ready when you are...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Quote: Pure contest when there's only 1 pure team in the contest. And even they have an import

Inside Shoulder? Hello? I know you're there. I've seen your post elsewhere so I know you're alive. I also hear the tumbleweeds and crickets that wallpaper your silence. Any time you want to qualify your claim that ALL teams import, we are all ears.

Unfortunately, the defence strategy of the gossip mouthpiece is always silence (I'm talking to you, Mr Holier-than-thou, Inside Shoulder). (Some advice - be careful about regurgitating gossip that you hear on the hill at your favourite 1st XV game). You make an unsubstantiated claim (throw a grenade), refuse to admit culpability, say nothing for long enough and hopefully fade into the background long enough to enable re-emergence down the track when the audience's memory fades. It's the trademark of the coward.
Until you justify your claim, the tumbleeds and crickets get louder every second, while your credibility continues to fade.
We're ready when you are.
Dear me.
Intellectually challenged and technologically illiterate. An unhappy combination on the web.
So how do I know?
The mother of the boy in one of those teams told me and the old boy who introduced the boy to the school in the other also told me, proudly I might add as he wanted credit for spotting him playing mungoes.
People tell me lots of things, often knowing the best of it will end up here.
If you only knew what the word reply meant you wouldn't have to wonder about mine.

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dear me.
Intellectually challenged and technologically illiterate. An unhappy combination on the web.
So how do I know?
The mother of the boy in one of those teams told me and the old boy who introduced the boy to the school in the other also told me, proudly I might add as he wanted credit for spotting him playing mungoes.
People tell me lots of things, often knowing the best of it will end up here.
If you only knew what the word reply meant you wouldn't have to wonder about mine.

Dear me,
Not only does your reply make little sense, you can add condescending to your ignorance, but you've always been good at that. Neither of these claims fits the Shore model. But hey, the mother of a boy and a boasting old boy; you got me. What watertight sources. Fancy being stupid enough to post accusations of importing with that as your evidence. Sack your informants and give yourself an uppercut. It took you this long to reply and this is all you have to offer.
Dear me.

Status
Not open for further replies.