• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
when did Waverley stop giving scholarships then?

There is a reason Wavelerley and other CAS schools don't have the same reputation as GPS schools, when it comes to rugby. They don't give them out. You don't see a player turn up at any CAS school that had played in schoolboy comps the year before. But it is common in GPS circles and accepted.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There is a reason Wavelerley and other CAS schools don't have the same reputation as GPS schools. They don't give them out. You don't see a player turn up at any CAS school that had played in schoolboy comps the year before. But it is common in GPS circles and accepted.

But it's rife in other CAS sports. Swimming and water polo for example. Think schools with multi-million dollar aquatic centres and professional swim coaches.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Jordan Paea whose brother is a Waverley old boy and who was going to go to Waverley before receiving a great opportunity to go to Newington. Before they realised he wasn't the rugby player his brother was.

Showing an indictment on GPS schools and their push for success in rugby. Particularly Newington in this instance.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
But it's rife in other CAS sports. Swimming and water polo for example. Think schools with multi-million dollar aquatic centres and professional swim coaches.

Yep, a quick look at last decade's worth of CAS swimming champs would indicate that such CAS scholarship largesse has somehow bypassed Waverley.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^QH, I'm not sure that the existence of a quality aquatic facility is evidence of skullduggery. If Knox are offering swimming scholarships (and I have no idea whether they are) they are not terribly successful given their last CAS swim carnival win was in 2003. In fact, they have only won it twice since 1987 compared to Waves 14 wins. Adopting Brumbie's reasoning (no wins in the past decade), Knox should be seen as clean no?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
One of those boys is a family friend and without question paying full fees.

Sideline talk on Saturday was that Barker were assisting in the schooling for some imports. ( 1 new this year from a state school)

Apparently Sporting scholarships are permitted at CAS schools anyway. So should not be a problem, no wrong is done and full credit to the boy.

I think there are plenty of schools trying to keep up with the leaders, and CAS schools do play the scholarship game (not sure about all of them )

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The critical word is "some" GPS schools. And it is some not "All" GPS schools (perhaps even "MOST" not "ALL")

But I fear from sideline talk yesterday that CAS schools are doing the same.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Which only makes the explanation for the differences in schools by Year 12 less understandable.
Unless of course the simple facts is that CAS doesn't care about rugby as much h as 3 or 4 GPS schools do.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^QH, I'm not sure that the existence of a quality aquatic facility is evidence of skullduggery. If Knox are offering swimming scholarships (and I have no idea whether they are) they are not terribly successful given their last CAS swim carnival win was in 2003. In fact, they have only won it twice since 1987 compared to Waves 14 wins. Adopting Brumbie's reasoning (no wins in the past decade), Knox should be seen as clean no?

I've been around swimming and water polo for a while and I know that both Knox and Trinity actively recruit and scholarship. I know of a boy whos is currently in Year 7 at Knox on a swimming scholarship - he was also offered a scholarship at a GPS school, but the swim squad made the difference in which scholarship to take.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Which only makes the explanation for the differences in schools by Year 12 less understandable.
Unless of course the simple facts is that CAS doesn't care about rugby as much h as 3 or 4 GPS schools do.

Although some CAS schools care about other sports and are active there.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Sideline talk on Saturday was that Barker were assisting in the schooling for some imports. ( 1 new this year from a state school)

Apparently Sporting scholarships are permitted at CAS schools anyway. So should not be a problem, no wrong is done and full credit to the boy.

I think there are plenty of schools trying to keep up with the leaders, and CAS schools do play the scholarship game (not sure about all of them )

Trinity being a case in point when it comes to the S word

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I've been around swimming and water polo for a while and I know that both Knox and Trinity actively recruit and scholarship. I know of a boy whos is currently in Year 7 at Knox on a swimming scholarship - he was also offered a scholarship at a GPS school, but the swim squad made the difference in which scholarship to take.
Maybe they need to get some management consultants in as the scholarship money apparently being spent does not seem to be producing any silverware.

Status
Not open for further replies.