• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
I think if you join the dots you will work it out. Start with the title of the thread.

He's some dots, the post is totally incorrect and I think Reddam is spelt incorrectly.

But never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Oh and the water polo boy is a born 2000 Australian player

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington have picked up two rowers from Kinross - ranked top three in GPS times, a state water polo player from Reddem, state basketball player from Illawarra - all senior kids all started Term 4

But are any of these boys Rugby Players. Would love to know which Schools have secured what players for the 2017/2018 Rugby season. May I suggest Newington will not be alone.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Kings have picked up an u14 (for next year) SRJU premiership and NSWJRU State Championship winning whinger, (oops sorry winger) for next year. Unfortunately for me, full fee though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan, definitely not in the spirit of this thread. Parents are supposed to pretend they have scooped a scholarship and the thread thrives on speculation not fact. Also, you may need to update the shirt and tie in your Avatar. Anyway, looking forward to your match reports next year.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Which rugby players have newington picked up for 2017? Did I miss something

There are a couple of Yr 9 boys from Auggies moving to Newington for Yr 10, on a 'bursary'.
I won't name them but they can spotted around the New rugby fields from February 2017 onwards I would say.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They will be getting more time to play club rugby. ISA seem to be staying with a 10 round competition, while AAGPS will only be playing 5 Competition rounds, and some trial fixtures. :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ HB, There is only one game of rugby. Call me King Canute if you like but I do not acknowledge the abhorrence that is a 13 aside approximation as a form of rugby.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^ HB, There is only one game of rugby. Call me King Canute if you like but I do not acknowledge the abhorrence that is a 13 aside approximation as a form of rugby.

I dont know anything about the situation Shane refers to but it seems strange that 2 boys from a school with very strong League links end up at a GPS school in Yr 10 on a bursary. Are they already connected with a League club like others have been at Newington?

You would think if they are going to partake in this at least they could pick some boys that might stay with Union long term.

Think King Canute has the AFL tide coming in behind him as well now.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
That's a long way to go to School!

I wonder what they think they are getting,that warrants all the extra effort?

History shows its not for an education.

Having done some casual teaching at my old school, I can assure you that the classroom environment, teaching resources and the quality of teachers in my opinion is second to none (Although I sure parents of other schools would say the same). The staffroom at Newington projects, a sense of dedication and professionalism that I have rarely experienced in other schools. Those boys are entering an educational environment, that is worth every cent that their parents spend.

Remember, education is a holistic experience that should extent beyond the classroom. A a well-rounded student is more likely to succeed in the long term, than a brilliant academic ( Medicine Excluded) or a superb sportsman. In this regard Newington College with its liberal educational outlook surrounded by its inclusive multi-cultural diversity, together with a sense of social mobility, provides for me an educational environment for both students and parents, that is simply too rare in Australian education.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In this regard Newington College with its liberal educational outlook surrounded by its inclusive multi-cultural diversity, together with a sense of social mobility, provides for me an educational environment for both students and parents, that is simply too rare in Australian education.

they'll be quoting you in the prospectus - make sure you get the royalties deal sorted!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Having done some casual teaching at my old school, I can assure you that the classroom environment, teaching resources and the quality of teachers in my opinion is second to none (Although I sure parents of other schools would say the same). The staffroom at Newington projects, a sense of dedication and professionalism that I have rarely experienced in other schools. Those boys are entering an educational environment, that is worth every cent that their parents spend.

Remember, education is a holistic experience that should extent beyond the classroom. A a well-rounded student is more likely to succeed in the long term, than a brilliant academic ( Medicine Excluded) or a superb sportsman. In this regard Newington College with its liberal educational outlook surrounded by its inclusive multi-cultural diversity, together with a sense of social mobility, provides for me an educational environment for both students and parents, that is simply too rare in Australian education.
sounds great, and I'm certain many kids thrive in that environment.
But not kids who travel for more than an hour each way, and are required to train before & after School 4 days per week.
Which is what we are talking about.
No northern beaches scholarship boys have gone on to uni to my knowledge.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No, I'm suggesting that an out of area student recruited to perform at a high level for the School,won't actually benefit from this holistic experience.

And,further,that parents are not advised that the School will educate them to the level that will get them a career in traffic control if their sporting dreams fail to eventuate.

Status
Not open for further replies.