• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No, I'm suggesting that an out of area student recruited to perform at a high level for the School,won't actually benefit from this holistic experience.

And,further,that parents are not advised that the School will educate them to the level that will get them a career in traffic control if their sporting dreams fail to eventuate.
This is what I'm getting at though, I feel like you're a man that places a lot of emphasis on traditional education/career pathways.

I don't really see how an out-of-area student won't benefit from a holistic educational experience. They still have the same strengths-based, values-centric education, they might just miss an out of hours extra-curricular here and there because they have to get the bus home.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fundamentally because he is there to produce a particular outcome for the school

I think people can sit across a couple of different focuses. Are you implying these kids can't focus on different things because they have to travel? I don't understand.

Additionally, I don't think a Maths teacher and or the School's Head of Pastoral Care are going to care in their day-to-day interactions with a student what's paying their fees. This isn't an NCAA scholarship where students can opt to either take particular easier classes or just fail them entirely.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Although small in numbers, the Newington Boarding House could be a solution to these students required to travel such long distances. Particularly, if their required to train extra hours as members of an elite squad. It also affords them the opportunity to part take, in the full range of school activities, they not be able to enjoy because of distant travel. Also parents within Newington's school community, may offer their nearby homes as a place to reside for such boys, thereby eliminating any difficulty of travel. Knowing something of the school and its community, I am sure these issues have been considered.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Fundamentally because he is there to produce a particular outcome for the school

Inducing cognitive dissonance in a pro-inducements supporter with some cold clear thinking is relatively easy. For example, ask them to go back 3 years on this thread to see what the NRL boys were doing then whenever the rationale of a "better" education is introduced into the debate.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Inducing cognitive dissonance in a pro-inducements supporter with some cold clear thinking is relatively easy. For example, ask them to go back 3 years on this thread to see what the NRL boys were doing whenever the rationale of a "better" education is introduced into the debate.

So they would be in their third year of Medicine now, I am sure.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Once again, the implication here is that the end game of education is to get into the best tertiary course possible.

Surely there's more to schooling than that?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Once again, the implication here is that the end game of education is to get into the best tertiary course possible.

Providing a given individual with the best possible opportunities for that individual: no one thing predominates until the individual is old and wise enough to make considered choices.
A school fails if it thinks children can make those choices or lets them make them, as for instance in permitting/encouraging or making children (i.e. U18s) concentrate on 1 sport (thing) all year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Yeah there is, but personally I prefer an education where ALL kids are required to atend school every day

Allowing a rock star to have a day off a fortnight so he can punt up his pay at the pub is not providing a holistic education.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Inducing cognitive dissonance in a pro-inducements supporter with some cold clear thinking is relatively easy. For example, ask them to go back 3 years on this thread to see what the NRL boys were doing then whenever the rationale of a "better" education is introduced into the debate.
Sorry - poorly drafted - the point was what they were doing during their school days not what they are doing now. Three prominent letters come to mind and they are not HSC.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
that is clearly what I'm stating.

I'm not suggesting it still happens,just that it did 3 or 4 years ago.

Ah, I thought it was a joke.

Well, I'd never say that all scholarships are well run, nor would I say that all scholarships are given to the worthy candidates. Anyway, a single bad anecdote (or even a hand full of them) don't really go against any of my beliefs.

I also don't like too many scholarships in the one place, as it is important that scholarships don't diminish the experience of the paying students (private schools are a form of business, and paying students pay). St.Kevins in Victoria is an example of scholarships run amok.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Ah, I thought it was a joke.

Well, I'd never say that all scholarships are well run, nor would I say that all scholarships are given to the worthy candidates. Anyway, a single bad anecdote (or even a hand full of them) don't really go against any of my beliefs.

I also don't like too many scholarships in the one place, as it is important that scholarships don't diminish the experience of the paying students (private schools are a form of business, and paying students pay). St.Kevins in Victoria is an example of scholarships run amok.

Nudgee College in Queensland, I heard from one parent may have up to 10 boys in their A teams on Scholarships. He feels that the program adds to the prestige of the school. Equally, he said Southport recruits heavily from the League Cubs on the Gold Coast. This has added to the status of Southport School on the Gold Coast. As parents outside the school, now see Southport as a merit based Institution.

Apparently, he also felt that QLD GPS is far intense on the Scholarship Offers that NSW. Hence,is QLD GPS becoming more like American College Football where scholarships abound.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
[quote="Black & White, post: 898051, member:

Apparently, he also felt that QLD GPS is far intense on the Scholarship Offers that NSW. Hence,is QLD GPS becoming more like American College Football where scholarships abound.[/quote]

And that's a good thing?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As we hurtle through page 321 of this thread and post #6404. A reminder to all those who defend the use of Sporting scholarships in the AAAGPS.

AAGPS CODE OF PRACTICE
Code of Practice
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:
  1. No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm’s length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.
  2. We affirm that the Headmaster of each school is responsible for knowing the special circumstances relating to the admission of boys to his school.
  3. In the selection and training of boys in teams or crews, the good of the individual boy shall remain paramount.
  4. While allowing for some exceptional circumstances, we believe that it is poor educational practice for a boy to engage in a single sport throughout the year.
The Headmasters of the GPS Schools of New South Wales, November, 2013.

Lets be clear, all Headmasters reaffirmed their commitment to the Code of Practice when the stink occurred with Scots and Basketball. It would appear that a few schools (not just limited to the Inner West) have short memories!

I wonder what it does to school culture at both the school a talented athlete leaves and the school they move to. Over the years a number of CAS and ISA schools must feel like incubators for the GPS. A few GPS schools appear to believe they have the right to "buy" whatever talent they need as opposed to build from within.

Remarkable how self righteous we all can be in defending our perspective. Given the length of this thread, I doubt anything will change by the time my sons are playing golden oldies......

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
B&W, I have heard that the Qld schools comp is particularly scholarship heavy.

Still, I think poor execution of scholarships isn't an argument against scholarships themselves, just a slight on those too lazy to find good people.

I think the issue is that some schools' thinking is "we have no 8s next year, and we've found a good player so lets get him in" and not "we've found a fantastic kid who plays 9 very well, even though we may already have a good 9. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and is from a low-SES background, so lets give him an opportunity and sort the team specifics later".

Status
Not open for further replies.