• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Nothing will happen.
Scots will promise to play nicely in the future,but will present their " independent" report that confirms no scholarships.
The other Sçhools will not challenge it,because to do so will open a Pandora's box, that will put pressure on more of these Principals and could threaten some of their careers.
Remember the golden rule,in the horse race of life,always back self interest.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry all not used to the quote technology as a relatively new member of the forum.

I was trying to put up relevant extracts from the two statements from Dr Lambert which had been posted - there was quite a different tone to the second. Not sure what to infer from the more definitive rejection in the second - potentially the three days of research by the independent consultant has provided a clean bill of health? Or maybe its because the stakes have been raised by visibility beyond the GAGR schoolboy rugby forum and similar so a more forceful response was required. I had initially thought the headmaster was giving himself some room so he could point the finger of blame elsewhere but the second statement seemed to cut off that avenue. Maybe I'm reading too much into the change. In any case, I'm not sure I can wait 23 days until the outcome of the next headmasters' meeting.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and flies like a duck then .. .. .. ..

If the parties were fair dinkum (not that a minor investigation into a piss ant schoolboy games competition deserves it), then the terms of reference for the investigation would be set by the Standing Committee of GPS Heads with the Independent Consultant be engaged by them not the party who is alleged to be in breach of the sacred code.

Further the Investigator would set up a hot line for "whistleblowers" to assist them focus their investigation on specific cases.

I think I like to watch has defined the duck with justice being seen to be done, without being done.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Regarding the two 14s boys at Joeys who are claimed to be imports, one is full fee paying and they other is on applied for a scholarship but was turned down but eventually was granted assistance (1/4 or something like that). The NSW 15s captain who started in year 10 was always coming too Joeys but he applied for a Maths scholarship and received it and is sitting his 4 unit HSC this year. Regarding the point system, it would never work. Schools such as Joeys and Kings regularly get boarders coming in year 10 and 11 who are genuine, it's just the make up of the school. As I said its not the scholarships alone that I think are causing the anger against Scots, and ill agree that Joeys, Kings and View have all been guilty of the same at one time or another, but it's the professionalism that comes with it at Scots that I think is getting them in trouble. Anyway I am sure all 5 headmasters have thought long and hard about taking action and would be well informed too do so. Now all we can do is wait it out and see what happens.
Interesting to see who blinks first, Dr Lambert or the Gang of 5.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nothing will happen.
Scots will promise to play nicely in the future,but will present their " independent" report that confirms no scholarships.
The other Sçhools will not challenge it,because to do so will open a Pandora's box, that will put pressure on more of these Principals and could threaten some of their careers.
Remember the golden rule,in the horse race of life,always back self interest.
You may well be correct, which begs the question; why did the 5 write the letters in the first place if they had no intention of following through with it?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
IMO, it's a shot across the bows.
It will probably have the desired effect of convincing Scots to reduce their activity in this space.
Without "blowing up" the entire association.
Undoubtedly,some of the other Headmasters wouldn't want Lambert going through each of their enrolments over the past few years, in a tit for tat exercise.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It will probably have the desired effect of convincing Scots to reduce their activity in this space.
Undoubtedly,some of the other Headmasters wouldn't want Lambert going through each of their enrolments over the past few years, in a tit for tat exercise.

In some ways - given how public it became - the association has "blown up".
I can see the war cries/chants/suitable 21st century equivalents now

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
The ARU Pathway

article-2149198-13436BEF000005DC-581_964x637.jpg
HJ, why is all the traffic on one pathway? What's its name???

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Like all those Joeys boys who were "always coming" and are co-incidentally good at rugby.;)

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I think some progress has now been made. After reviewing posts it seems there is fairly strong agreement that the problem maybe ameliorated (its great we have spell check on these sites) by replacing musical scholarships with rugby scholarships.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Here would be my option (17b) for handling the issues associated with Scholarships / Bursaries awarded by any/all GPS Schools.
  1. The headmasters/representative form a Committee to overview all scholarships or bursaries provided for the coming year at all levels of entry for each school.
  2. The Schools provide the Committee the complete list and parameters of all assistance in the form of scholarships or bursaries being given in the coming year.
  3. Applications are accepted and decided by the Schools individually and then are sent to the Committee for a final audit overview.
  4. Any dispute within the Committee with any application would have to be worked through by that Committee. If the parameters and the applications match there should hopefully not be too many issues.
  5. Scholarships or bursary winners are then advised of their success or otherwise.
  6. If an initial awardee declines the offer, the School affected then forwards their second nominee to the Committee and it goes around again.
  7. The Committee could also be used to discuss other issues which arise from time to time. (Or is this the Heads of the GPS anyway?).

Issues
  1. This process will not stop the Boosters.
  2. It will limit the perceived misuse of scholarships or bursaries by any School.
  3. The process will take some time to complete.
I have put this forward as a discussion point and acknowledge that it is by no means absolutely conclusive, perhaps a starting point for further variations on the theme.

goalkicker65

Frank Row (1)
One thing I've suggested previously is a points system, and I gather that the Heads have been working on one themselves.

For example, if students were allocated 1 point if the started in Year 7, 2=Yr 8, 3=Yr 9, 4=Yr10, 5=Yr11, 6=Yr 12 and each sport had a maximum number of points allowed on the field/court/pool/etc in 1sts and 2nds. So if 1sts and 2nds rugby had a points allowance of 25, most of your players will have had to have started in years 7 or 8. It takes how they came to the school out of the equation and makes bringing boys in at Year 9, 10 or 11 not worth the effort. Where different sports have different numbers of players, reduce the points quota.

EDIT: And being a quantafiable number, it becomes a black and white issue as to whether the school complies.

What happens to the boys who can't afford to come to the schools from Year 7 and choose to do so like many in Year 9 or 10? Are there opportunities to play for the elite teams inhibited?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)

sulidor

Bob McCowan (2)
From the horse's mouth......

"The King's School headmaster Tim Hawkes admits most schools, including his, ''have offered inducements to a few good sportsmen''.
''Schools have long learnt the rhetoric needed to defend the deliberate importation of gifted sportsmen,'' he said. ''The practice can be disguised in so many ways"."

in the 20/09 smh article.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tim Hawke from Kings tells us what we all know.

It will be most interesting to see how this unfolds now that it has received oxygen in the mainstream media.